Raised Hackles Fur..how To React?

Josie

Otis is an assertive greyhound.. not many things, situations, peoples or other animals scares him.

He is social and always want to meet other dogs, regarding the breed or size.

When the other dog is acting ok, it's wonderfull.

But when the other dog want to dominated Otis or is acting fearful agressive, Otis will raise his hackles fur...

sometimes it will lead to a reaction (Otis will bark or jump up (not on the other dog)) but sometimes nothing happens..

Should I corect Otis as soon as I see his hackles fur raised? and if so what should I do?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

You can't really correct him when he technically hasn't done anything wrong. It's good you're reading his body signals. I would distract him or remove him from the situation that is causing the reaction. You don't want to set him up to have to be corrected so removing him from the situation is best and then praise him for not reacting right away. Some of mine who have space issues will react with a bark. I know when I see another one of my dogs trying to walk by or lay by the dog is going to get this reaction so I will call his name and start talking to him telling him what a good boy he is and usually at that point he will allow the other dog to pass or lay down without reacting. This way he knows I'm aware of the other dog, he doesn't have to react and I don't have to correct him.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

thanks Judy :)

I never physically correct him when he does it (touching him or pulling the leash) because I think it could triger a bad reaction ;)

I would say "hey, relax" or "be nice" or something like that...

should I use his name like you do?

when can be really focus and tense when his hackles fur is raised...

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Guest DragonflyDM

Otis is an assertive greyhound.. not many things, situations, peoples or other animals scares him.

He is social and always want to meet other dogs, regarding the breed or size.

When the other dog is acting ok, it's wonderfull.

But when the other dog want to dominated Otis or is acting fearful agressive, Otis will raise his hackles fur...

sometimes it will lead to a reaction (Otis will bark or jump up (not on the other dog)) but sometimes nothing happens..

Should I corect Otis as soon as I see his hackles fur raised? and if so what should I do?

Just redirect his attention. Get him to look at you. offer him a high value treat. Then start petting him and letting him realize that another dog in the area is no threat to him.

Boomer is not a dominate dog-- but he does NOT like other dogs jumping on him, goading him to play, or getting fun or lusty frisky with him. You can politely sniff-- but nothing else. Boomer will first try to walk away-- but after that, he will go from gentle giant to deadly samurai.

I just give a forceful but not angry call to him and then offer him a treat when he focuses on me. I then keep him with me and let him know he is OK. I then let the other dog owner know that his dog isn't OK-- or at least won't be if they don't keep separated from Boomer. (Because really-- if Boomer doesn't do some damage, I will pulling them away from my dog).

The biggest issue is that some dog owners don't respect other dog owners and think it is funny or acceptable to let their dogs do whatever they want. But in a controlled environment, with redirection when needed, you can get any dog to socialize and become OK with other dogs.

P.S. I know that I sort of digressed a bit--- but I am thinking of scenarios when i have had to deal with your situation with Boomer.

thanks Judy :)

I never physically correct him when he does it (touching him or pulling the leash) because I think it could triger a bad reaction ;)

I would say "hey, relax" or "be nice" or something like that...

should I use his name like you do?

when can be really focus and tense when his hackles fur is raised...

I do use my dogs name because I want him to look at me and not the offending party. Once you get his attention, as stated, carry good treats with you and treat and then walk away from the situation. I wasn't sure if you were talking about situations in the home with visitors or on walks. I would definitely distract him and then remove him from the offending party. Some owners are just oblivious when their dogs are not behaving well.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Luna does this when we are out walking around the neighborhood and meet new dogs as well. Usually I will say, "Luna, watch me, let's go for a walk" and keep walking on, praising her for being a good girl. I try to keep things upbeat and positive because I wouldn't want to elevate the tension.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).