Fly Bye Bill July 10, 1999- September 24, 2012

Guest greybookends

Guest greybookends

Bill set my baby free this morning.

I do not even know where to begin. Bill was a bounce. He was returned because of his fear of shiny floors. I always told people he was linoleum intolerant. For the most part after working with him I got him to walk on them as long as I was with him and he did do the little stretch between the livingroom and the back door through the kitchen on his own.

He did not like to ride at all. It did not matter how long or short the ride was or what I gave him he would not settle down and relax. This was one of the reasons why when the vet asked me if I wanted to have a few more days with him that I said no. He was in to much pain and I was not going to stress him with another ride for my sake.

I always told Bill he was a cat in a dog suit. I have never had a dog who would not eat anything that was placed in front him. Bill was the reason i went to a raw diet. This did help but not completely. For eight years I struggled with him to get him to eat and right now I would give anything to have him turn up his nose at his dinner and then turn around and beg for a cookie. He never met a cookie he didn't like. When I adopted him and was going through all the stuff that came with him I found a note from his trainer that said he was a real good boy and would swap kisses for cookies.

Bill never missed an opportunity to shower me with kisses. he would give me a tongue bath that at times I had to stop because they were about to border on obscene. I could not go to the bathroom without him following me to bathe my knees and face. the only other person who could always get a kiss from him was his foster mommy Alice Bossert. He loved his Alice.

Michael always accused me of stealing his dog because when we went to meet him at Alice's he ignored me but lavished all his attention on Michael. Michael thought it would be nice to have a dog that loved him best for a change and then when Bill came home with us he quickly shifted his allegance to me. I told Michael that Bill was no dummy. He knew the best way to me was through him.

Bill raced as Fly Bye Bill at West Palm Beach. He ran 157 races and won about 25 of them. He was retired for his 4th Birthday. Bill had a pretty high prey drive and when we first adopted him he loved to go to playgroups ( he didn't like the ride there, but had fun once he got there), OH HOW he loved a squawker. I remember his first playgroup. It was in January and it was cold. Roy Mayo was out on the field with a squawker and Bill was right there. All the hounds were muzzled of course. Roy put the squawker in his coat pocket and was doing something. Bill snuck up behind him and while wearing the muzzle managed to pick his pocket and took off with his prize! Roy said he'd never seen that happen before. After that he would put it on the inside of his coat. Whenever I would travel with the hounds I always packed a squawker with me just in case. I could put Bill outside. close the door, close the bedroom door, pack the squawker in the center of the largest bag and the instant Bill came into the room he would go straight to whatever bag it was in.

Last Monday he had surgery to remove a growth on his foot and it came off and Dr. Rabon was very pleased with how it went. When I took him in this morning as Bill limped across the floor He looked at me and said that's not his foot. That's his shoulder and my heart sank, any hope I was holding onto left me in an instant. He was down to 55 pounds and struggled all weekend to find comfort. He never cried or whimpered but I could see it in his eyes and he was ready. So Osteo has claimed another.

Bye Bye Bill. I miss you so much already.

:f_red:gh_run:f_red

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so, so sorry. I've always loved your "conversations" with Bill. I absolutely HATE this disease for stealing away our babies.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Oh Judy. I am so very sorry.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

I burst into tears when I saw your post, Lori. Dinner will simply never be the same without Bill. My heart hurts for you and your family, I am so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Godspeed Bill. :dogcookie There will never be another like you. f_yellow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Lori and Michael, I have no words and can barely type through the tears. I am so terribly sorry. Oh, Bill knew he was loved and knew how to love. Dinner will never be the same again. Unka Bill, we will miss you and your food chats forever.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Oh Lori, I can't tell you how my heart sank when I saw his name here. I am so very, very sorry for your loss of your oh so very special boy. My heart broke when I saw his name. I'm going to miss all your conversations with Bill. Godspeed Bill, no more pain.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh Judy. I am so very sorry.

Oh bollox. LORI. I'm sorry Lori.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Like the others, I was horrified to see Bill's name on this thread. I'm so sorry you've lost your special boy.

Godspeed, Bill. Go tell the celestial chefs what you want for dinner.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Oh Lori, I am SO sorry you had to let your baby Bill go :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

CANCER SUCKS.

I just told Nube to make sure he finds him and shows him the squeakiest stuffies to play with.

My heart is breaking for you both :(:cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Lori, I am was so sad to read this post about Bill. I am very sorry for your loss.

Take comfort in knowing that Bill is at peace, painfree and running once again with the wind.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so very sorry for your loss of the incomparable Mr. Bill!

Shaky Cheese, Right legs and "THEM" are forever in our category of dinner options along with so many other Bill-isms.

He will live on forever in all of our hearts!

:candle

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

:weep :weep :bighug :bighug :f_pink

I'm so sorry to read about Bill's passing.

I've been putting his dining conversations in our newsletter and many commented on how they always enjoyed reading them.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

I'm so so sorry Lori. He was such a character.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

:weep Oh NO NO NO! I just can't believe this- not Bill! :beatheart

My deepest sympathy. :grouphug:f_red :f_red :f_red

Cancer is so limited

It cannot cripple love

It cannot shatter hope

It cannot corrode faith

It cannot destroy peace

It cannot kill friendship

It cannot suppress memories

It cannot silence courage

It cannot invade the soul

It cannot steal eternal life

It cannot conquer the spirit.

-Anonymous

Run far and fast and free, Unka Bill....................................................

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Lori, I am so very sorry.

Run free Bill, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.