Scrape On Hock

Guest FreeholdHound

Guest FreeholdHound

I noticed a small round scrape on the back of Harry's back leg the other day so I cleaned it up & let it be as it wasn't major. He has been licking at it nightly when he settles down before bed, so it is not scabbing over. Tonight I cleaned it again, put a bit of Neosporin on a non stick pad & wrapped it on w/ a self stick wrap. Of course he's now trying to lick /nibble that off too.

Should I keep this up or let it be? I've heard both- licking heals & cover it. Which is best?

I prefer not to let my dogs lick as they tend to get obsessive and keep it from healing. But I also think most minor wounds heal faster if open to the air. You can use a kennel muzzle with a poop cup (or strategically placed duct tape) to keep them from licking.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

If it's below the hock, you can pull up a ladies' trouser sock (the more cotton content, the better), wrap it just above the hock with a bit of vet wrap to secure and then fold the excess down over the vet wrap. Thus... both protected from licking and sufficiently open to the air.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

wash it well and "yell knock it off"...sounds stupid but they get it. if it's just a scrap it sould heal in a couple of days, ointments retard the healing process, clean it once and let nature take it's course. felix has had not only scrapes on his hocks- but slashes down to the tendon. that wasn't fun at all! he's ripped off stop pads...stopping(what else), skinned his pasterns down to the tendons as well. when it's really deep and gross that's when i clean w/ peroxide(that's what my vet recommends) and bandage. a week for a bad slash, a couple of days for a skid.