Pigs Ears

Dawnnziggy

Can greyhounds have pigs ears? I got some today and I am afraid to give them to them. I want to be sure I am not going to make them sick. Oh, and while I am asking stupid questions, can they have ham? My mom always said that ham was like poison to dogs. Is she right? Thanks for your help!

I'll just weigh in on my personal experience. I don't like to give any dog a whole pig ear as they are very high in fat.

There used to be strips from a manufacturer in Canada and I gave those. After they folded my neighbor cut the whole ears into strips on his band saw and my guys did fine on those. You could probably cut the ears with pruning shears, etc. into small pieces.

Poodle almost died from pancreatitis after my sister fed him a bunch of bacon without my knowledge. My vet said "fatty pork just tears thems up". Lots of raw feeders do pork loins, etc but processed pork seems to be a bad thing.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Are you located in the USA? Over here we don't much worry about triconosis... I spelled that wrong!

Raw or cooked pig ears should be fine. Pork generally tends to be a fatty meat so the meat might cause some belly upset to some pups. I give dried processed pig ears with no issue and even bought some meaty smoked pig ears a few days ago to try.

Just feed it and see how he reacts :-) ham is fine too. Just NO COOKED BONES Is the general rule

------

Jessica

Pig ears are much beloved by my crew. No problems so far. I know that some cuts of pork are very fatty (and yes, excessive fat can certainly cause pancreatitis), but I was under the impression that the ears were mostly skin, cartilage and connective tissue.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest newgreymama

We give them here. Pig ears, tracheas. feet, etc. But they are special treats, not a daily part of our dogs' diet. One once a week is about our average. They give Cora terrible gas though, so we suffer when we do give them to her. lol They don't seem to affect our little dog in that way.

I have given pig ears before but I don't do it often. I get ones that are "handmade" here by a person, I have heard the store bought ones contain all kinds of plastic-like preservatives (don't know if it is true?). Ham is not "poison" to dogs but I am guessing the results wouldn't be great if you fed a lot of it due to the salt content/smoke flavour, etc. If you want to feed pork as a treat, I would just buy a cheap cut, bake it up, cut into chunks and feed. Probably less trouble that way :)

Like most treats, in moderation should be fine. Our first crew got ears a couple of times a month. I don't think I have given this crew any though.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I used to give them till Jill had a nasty gut reaction following one episode which may or may not have had anything to do with the pig's ear. Since there are so many other things to give them, I don't anymore.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren