Need Advice: When Did You Know You Were Ready For A 2Nd Hound?

I was at Greyhound Friends of NJ greyhound picnic today and I met a very cute, calm brindle boy who is slightly taller and longer than Walter. He seems really nice, and I was asked to foster him... I've had Walter for about a year and a half now and I do want to get a second grey.

• When did you know you were ready for a second?
  • How soon after you adopted your first did you bring in a second?
  • How does fostering affect the dogs you have?
  • Is fostering difficult - physically? emotionally?
  • When the fostered dog is adopted, how did your other hounds react?
  • Anything that you wished you knew before you brought in a second hound or fostered?

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

Oh boy! A new friend for Joe and Brees!

To answer some of your questions, we'd had Joe for about a year and a half before bringing home Brees. I wish now that we'd gotten two at the same time because, well, you know how Joe is. :rolleyes: He was pretty displeased when we got her, but he's not bored all the time anymore. He used to whine and pace a lot, and that's stopped entirely. I think he likes having her around. I usually find him next to her crate when I get home, even on days when he has the run of the house.

Rob and I would never be able to foster, unless it was for a set period of time and we knew the dog had a home waiting. We're both too mushy for that! Good luck!

Guest greytbig

We decided to try fostering last year. We had one Grey, Snappy, already. Snappy was 6 years old and we had gotten him as a puppy, when he was 4 months old. We had decided that Snappy would be the one to determine whether fostering would be successful in our home. We brought Fred home, as a foster, on 6/25/11. This foster was not a success. We adopted Fred three weeks later! He was such a shy little guy and he and Snappy hit it off well. Basically......he stole our hearts. I know other folks who have their own Greys, who foster. I also know folks who ONLY foster. You have made the decision to make an effort and give it a shot. I'm certain that will be appreciated by many. I don't think the adoption group here in Iowa ever has as many fosters as they would like. The only advice that comes to mind right now is to make sure you use your muzzles, and pay very close attention to your foster dog's body language (they probably won't want to pee in your house, but don't know how to tell you that they "gotta go") Good luck to you. I think you'll be fine.

I think the answer to most of these questions will vary widely from case to case, but I'll try to share some thoughts and personal experience.

The main question may not really apply to me since I already had other dogs when I got my first greyhound. I've never consciously made the decision that "I'm ready for another dog." They've mostly just been situations that came up, or it just happened. So my advice would be don't over-think it. If it feels right, go for it! :) Fostering is a good way to start and will help you decide whether you're ready for a permanent addition.

I already had 2 smaller dogs (an Italian greyhound, and Corey the mix) when I got my first grey. Then the whippet came along, and I lost the IG, before I added my second grey. When I brought the second greyhound home, it was with a 'foster to adopt' agreement with my group to make sure he'd get along with the other dogs. They all did fine together, although they mostly just coexisted and didn't interact much.

Wiki, the newer greyhound, likes to snuggle, and none of my other dogs do, but my first grey, Willow, would tolerate him. Willow acted indifferent toward Wiki in the beginning, but over time, he's grown on her. She'll clean his ears, they have some sweet moments together, and she tries to get him to play, but she's usually too rough for him.

Since then, I've been fostering some for our greyhound group. My dogs do well having fosters here, but things do get a little more hectic with a 5th dog in the house. Wiki can be a little grumpy with fosters at first - such as growling when they walk past - but usually only the first few days. Willow will run and play with the fosters that are receptive. The little guys do their own thing, and all the dogs mostly just hang out together. My dogs don't really show much reaction when the foster leaves. Things just settle back down into our normal routine.

I usually request the shy, special needs fosters, and for me, I find it rewarding to work with them. I'm one who takes a while to deeply bond with a dog, and I don't fall in love with every dog I meet, so fostering hasn't been too emotionally challenging. Fosters tend to follow my dogs' lead, so they learn the household routine quickly, so that part isn't too hard either.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest lovnmygreys

I don't have anything to offer as far as fostering goes, but we adopted two immediately. Just skipped right over having a single Grey... What can I say? Everyone said they are like chips, so instead of craving that second one I just went for the bag...and I have not regretted it for one second. Love my furry kids... :beatheart :beatheart :beatheart

We got Truman a year and eight months after adopting Henry. By that time, Henry was very well adjusted, had done a ton of obedience training, and the timing just seemed right. I did foster a third grey recently... I'll probably never do it again just because it was too emotional for me. Two is definitely an adjustment from one, but we found it manageable.

We fostered our first "with intent" and did adopt him. We decided to continue fostering to help with his mild SA and to help the group. We were not actively looking for a second because I enjoyed fostering so much. Yes, it is a bit emotional letting them go, but I am just a step in their life's journey. I always hope that I have given them a good start. I didn't find having two any harder than one. They actually are happier having a companion. The dogs are used to a lot of comings and goings, so it didn't bother our boy to have different housemates. He helps my fosters to settle and learn. Foster#11 decided she was already home the first day she was here. It just took us longer to figure out what she was trying to say. We adopted the little diva and are very glad we did. She is absolutely my girl and makes my heart smile every day. She was adopted approx. a year after our boy. We continue to foster and enjoy each one. I learn a little more with every new personality that comes into our home. It is awesome to watch the pack dynamics form and change. If you can afford two, go for it. Fostering is fun and lets you get to know the dog and how he/she will fit into your family. You will know if the dog is not the right one for you. The bonus is that you will be preparing that dog for his/her new family. Good luck!

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Guest dramaqueen

I was at the picnic which grey were you looking at? It wasn't Gia was it? I had my eye on the the big Red boy in the first crate & I think I'm ready for a 2nd one.

You are ready when when you start thinking about it :) IMO, that is :)

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

I was at the picnic which grey were you looking at? It wasn't Gia was it? I had my eye on the the big Red boy in the first crate & I think I'm ready for a 2nd one.

It was Rico's Abel, he's a brindle boy that is very fresh off the track. So fresh that they said I would have to house train him.

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

We started out with two. We were looking to start with one, but these were a special need and needed to be adopted together. I was really apprehensive about taking two as new people to Greyhounds, But it has worked out so well, I am glad we did. No separation anxiety at all. Both settle down when ever we leave. They walk well together when we go out.

Our group does not really foster except in special situations. I've been lucky to foster some dogs that were being returned and helped them to their next home. It is really rewarding. My dogs are used to dogs coming and going because I dog-sit (greys only) and when there is another dog here they seem to enjoy the companionship and when the dog(s) leave they just settle back in to our regular routine. The one thing I'd recomend is that the dogs meet with muzzles on and if possible in nutural territory. As several others have said you will know when you are ready and when the right dog comes along you will know. Oh, and I now have three greys.

Congratulations, and I hope you enjoy it!

Edited by june

This is all sooo cool!!!! :nod I keep saying to Rex that we're really in need of a best ol' buddy ol' pal for Nero but we can't really make up our minds yet because we got so incredibly lucky with him (finding an AD IN THE PENNY SAVER) and really just being in so much love. I'd really like to get an Italian greyhound preferably a girl for Nero, possibly even around the same age but I honestly don't even know where to start. :hope