Growth On Gums

jaym1

I just noticed this today, because my dog's gums were bleeding. It doesn't seem that it is bothering him in any way, and he has had no other symptoms of anything having going medically awry (good energy, appetite, etc.)

I can't really tell what I'm looking at, but it appears to be a small growth that is attached to the gums (not the tooth) by a smaller piece of tissue, and thus it's just sort of hanging there. It is slightly darker in color than the gums, but not more so than some of the naturally darker parts. I've made the soonest appointment I can get with my vet, which is on Monday afternoon.

Any ideas? Should I be concerned enough to take him in sooner?

8012346192_a046469963_c.jpg

8012345560_b4a4216b66_c.jpg

Mork has something similar but it's more pink. My vet looked at at and wasn't terribly concerned, though we will probably have it taken out and biopsies. We're just waiting since he's old and is at risk with anesthesia (LP tie back).

hm. my instinct is just to run to the vet (its a few blocks away) and have him looked at in the ER, but i know that rationally speaking, waiting two days wont have any real medical downside.

if you look at the bottom picture, you will see sort of a smaller round growth just above the main one. thats actually what the larger growth is sort of hanging from, and its anchoring it to the gums. at least thats what it seems like to me. this is something that has appeared very quickly, within a week or two.

my understanding is that an epulis is not, in fact, cancer.

this is depressing.

when not bleeding, it tends to take on the color of a bruise. when it is bleeding, it is pinker, and more closely matches the normal color of his gums, as you can see.

8012679450_9d6b50fc05_b.jpg

Edited by jaym1

the place i go to is the major veterinary hub in the state of mass, with very sophisticated diagnostic systems and good staff. and it is also a short walk from my house. its just that my vet isnt there today and theyre all booked for the weekend. i called her covering dr. and emailed photos and am waiting to hear back.

Suggestion: Fast him the day you're going to take him in--no food or water after midnight the night before. That way, if the vet wants to do something, you don't necessarily have to wait for another day.

And if he's taking fish oil capsules, stop them now. They're normally good for dogs, but the fish oil can act as a blood thinner, which your baby doesn't need to be taking just now. And if you've been giving fish oil capsules, make sure your vet knows.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

If it helps ease your worry about waiting until Monday, think about it this way: if they remove it and send it for tests, most labs work monday-friday... so going today vs. going on Monday probably won't make a difference about when you hear results.

Good luck!

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely fast him. The on-call Dr. said they'll probably need to put him under on Monday, so that's obviously a good idea.

I've spent the whole day laying on the couch with him and taking him to the dog park so he can run around. Even the chance that he could be seriously ill is very upsetting.

That would definitely concern me too, but he should be fine until Monday.

Agree about prepping him for possible surgery on that day, as the vet may want to immediately remove it.

Good luck!

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest BrianRke

Mork has something similar but it's more pink. My vet looked at at and wasn't terribly concerned, though we will probably have it taken out and biopsies. We're just waiting since he's old and is at risk with anesthesia (LP tie back).

They dont need to be put under to remove an epulis. Daytona has one and the vet takes himm in the back and removes it in about 3 minutes. It grows back and the next year he removes it again.

They dont need to be put under to remove an epulis. Daytona has one and the vet takes himm in the back and removes it in about 3 minutes. It grows back and the next year he removes it again.

It does depend on what type it is. Mine had one that was actually attached to the ligament holding a tooth in. Procedure to remove this epulis required removing the ligament as well. That also necessitated removing the tooth. Definitely needed anesthesia for this one.

it seems like the color of this would suggest its not an epulis, but obviously i dont know. what seems so strange to me is that the entire growth is almost external to the gums -- its just hanging off that little bit of tissue. but again, i dont know what that means or what bearing that has on anything.

i am actually worried sick.

I know how worrying this sort of thing is, but trying to second guess it is only going to make you worry all the more. It may be an ordinary Epulis from which a hyperplasic growth elongated and got bruised. it may be as simple as just snipping it off at the vet's office and keeping an eye on the gum area in case it returns. Have your dog prepped for the vet so that they can biopsy and take it off if they want to.

The good thing is you spotted it before it got really bad. Hope all goes well.

Our Shelby had something similar however hers grew and was further back. We opted for surgery to remove it and it turned out to be a cancer that was rare to be in the mouth. The surgery was okay, it was the healing afterwards as Shelby kept bleeding badly. Our vet did not use Amicar and will from now on going forward for Greys. The issue with Shelby was it was up at the jaw more and they had to laser down to the bone. The cancer that was identified was not something we worry about after experiencing Osteo. I hope it's an Epulis for your pup.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I don't have many suggestions, but wanting to wish you all the best. Remember, a lot of lumps and bumps are non cancerous, so keep thinking positive. Teague has a wart on one of his legs that is fine, but that I keep my eye on. I freaked out last week because it was swollen, purple and about to pop and bleed. Then I noticed a scratch next to it and figured he bumped his leg on a branch running. After a few days it was back to normal (phew!). Is it possible that he chewed on something that may have irritated or made this inflamed and bleed? Just trying to throw out options while you wait :)