Newbie Question: Alone Training & How Soon Can They Be Left Alone?

We are considering bringing our new hound home in 2 weeks (he will be fostered for one week prior) and the BF and I will have the whole weekend at home to get our pup comfortable and start alone training. However, on the Monday right after the weekend, there's been an unexpected schedule change, and neither of us will be at home for 4 to 5 hours in the middle of the day. Neither of us can get any more time off work. (note: the most he will be alone is 5 hours and only on Mondays)

Now I know all hounds are individuals and some will be happy to have the uninterrupted nap time, while others will cry until you reappear, but in general, is it too soon to leave a dog home alone for that long after only 2 days (really, 1.5 days since it will be quite a trip from the foster home to our home). What can we do to help make it easier on him? We've got kongs, and we can take him for as long a walk as he can manage right before to get him tired. What else can we do? Also... how exactly are you supposed to alone train? I get the idea of stepping out of the room... then stepping out of the house for a few minutes... but how frequently do you do this? We will have a laptop set up so we can Skype in and check on him while we're both out of sight.

I expect that we may also get an idea during fostering whether or not he's the anxious type or the bombproof type or something in between. However I don't know if he'll really be alone during fostering since they have many other greys. I haven't talked to my adoption rep/foster mom yet, but I'll be calling her tomorrow to get her opinion on this as well.

It's quite possible that I am far more anxious about leaving our dog alone than our dog will be about being left alone!

Until you hear back from your foster about how scared he is alone, you might be overestimating the concern.

It is nice that you want to be prepared for his alone time.

However, we didn't practice any of the 'alone training' that the greyhounds for dummies book suggested, and our boy has never needed it (he is shy and spooky, if that offers insight). After reading the book, I thought the SA would be hell. It wasn't. He enjoyed being in his crate anyways, so we made sure we crated him and treated him appropriately at bedtime and work time and he doesn't seem to mind at all. Mind you, he is only crated for a MAXIMUM of 4 hours at a time.

But, I'm sure practicing leaving for 5-10 minutes at a time his first couple of days will help.

Good luck, can't wait to hear how he does!

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

I don't know who told you you can't leave a dog alone for XX amount of days, but many of us don't have the luxury of not going to work after getting a new hound.

True SA is going to be bad as soon as you leave, not two hours into your departure.

Do what you have to do--you cannot assume anything at this point about how the dog will or won't react. A good long walk and a Kong should be really helpful, and hopefully you'll be one of the folks who gets a dog who is just fine on his/her own!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I have never worried about separation anxiety, if it happens the dog has to learn to deal with it. When no one home the dogs are outside so maybe that makes a difference as they can run around or snooze on their beds and can see out the gate into the street. They are always pleased to see me when I get home from work and I make a fuss of them, on the way out I give them a pat or call out seeya boys but don't make a fuss.

Guest Wasserbuffel
Also... how exactly are you supposed to alone train? I get the idea of stepping out of the room... then stepping out of the house for a few minutes... but how frequently do you do this?

That really depends on the the dog. You repeat the exercise until the dog isn't reacting to being left alone. Sometimes it takes just a few repetitions, sometimes people work for weeks/months to help their dogs get over SA.

Keep in mind that when you're reading, you're only seeing posts from people whose dogs are having problems. Lots and lots of dogs do just fine. Mine would wail for a few minutes after we left her for the first couple weeks that she was home. With some alone training, and consistent behavior (not greeting immediately when we got home) on our part, she adjusted quite well.

The dog will soon learn your schedules. He should fit into your schedule not the other way around or else you will find yourself having to hire someone ot come out all the time. 4-5 hours seems reasonable to leave him. I agree with others by keeping him busy with a frozen kong. Give him a long walk before you leave to tire him out. Good luck and enjoy the new pup. Lexie was very very shy when we got her and I kept expecting the anxiety and it never came til 4 years later...lol. Dogs can pick up on your anxiety too so try and relax.

💙💜💚💛❤️

I forgot how to put a pic in my signature. Please pm me if you can help. Thanks

Hi Lilith!!

Like others have said...Don't worry to much about it.

The chances of him having severe anxiety is slim.

Most cases you read about here on GT are not 'normal'.

There are hundreds (thousands ?) of GT users and only a handful post about their SA issues.

Our Nixon has never had SA. He's happy to sleep the day away all on his own.

Ruby came to us 'labelled' with it but the owrst she did was whine and cry. No destructive bahavior at all.

And now she's perfectly fine on her own.

Nigel came to us as a bounce from a home who said he peed/pooed in his crate and barked all the time.

He has never even tried to mark in the house and he only barks if he thinks it might be supper time. :dinner

Not sure he's quite ready to be left totally alone for several hours, but he is fine for a short while.

And truthfully .....we've never 'tested' him for long periods.

One of the 'JOYS' of having multiples!!

Don't be surprised if your new guy does not want or need his crate.

Nixon only 'needed' his for a few days...poor guy would only eat if he was in it ...with the door closed.

We didn't even set it up for Ruby or Nigel.

On the other hand, our last Dobe loved the crate and it was well used for her entire life.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest BlingDogs

5 hours is not that long for a greyhound- They'll go down for a nap, I don't know about your pup, but 5 hours goes by in a blink of an eye for Do.

Like others said, leave for longer and longer periods of time. Also, go for a nice long walk before you leave, so all your hound will want to do is sleep.

Your worrying is completely understandable- But as long as you don't leave food out on the counter I'm sure all will be well.

Guest team_tonio

I would really suggest going about your normal routine when you bring him home. They really do love their 'normal' schedules and learn them quickly. My boy was fine with his foster home but had some very minor issues when we brought him home. He would whine and bark for up to half an hour every time we left. I alone trained by leaving the house and only returning when he was quiet. (Sometimes I would hang outside and read, sometimes I would run an errand.) I did this as much as possible over the course of just a few days, stretching the time in between. He quickly learned I was always coming back. Ignoring him for a few minutes when coming and going worked really well for us. Long walks to tire them out and a stuffed frozen kong is still our routine. I also leave the TV or radio on to help mask any outside noises.

I am by no means an expert but this is what worked well for us. They really are individuals and you will be able to take your cue from him. I'm sure it will be great. :) Congrats on your new addition! They are truly amazing and capture your heart very quickly!

The only time I ever had issues with SA was when I tried to crate my dogs. Who knows- I probably made some cardinal mistake, because none of mine would ever crate well. If you keep them muzzled, then they are less likely destroy any of your furniture or belongings. The issue will probably be housebreaking. Be very diligent with potty training. Make sure they have a small area when you're gone, then gradually expand that area when you're able to trust them. You'll be able to gauge how he or she is doing, then you can make adjustments. Good luck!

I personally always do away training with

My fosters. Even tho they have other hounds with them. I usually do it for 2day & up to 30 min( I sit outside my back door so I can hear but they don't know I'm there. I would look up on the web away training. I find also it is important not to be to give them affection every time you see them & when they come up to you. This usually is only something I do for the first month. This is just what I do to make sure they aren't so attached to me & freak when I leave. But that said you being relaxed is the best for you & your hound. Good luck you will love it

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Yes...routine routine routine.

This is what they're used to!

I have the Patricia McConnell booklet "I'll be home Soon'.

Let me know if you want to borrow it

Nancy

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg