Water Additive For Teeth?

Guest team_tonio

Guest team_tonio

Anyone use this and have results? Would love to hear your feedback... brands you've tried, brand you love... Antonio still is not great with a toothbrush so I'm looking for alternatives to the dreaded daily brush!

We do a good brush weekly plus raw bones plus coconut oil...

Thanks in advance for the feedback! :)

I've used the water additive "Healthy Mouth" from the vet. But after months of using it, I honestly didn't really notice any difference. It discolored the water to a weird green color and, although Summer would drink it, I could tell she was somewhat reluctant.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest team_tonio

Awesome... I'll see what brand the local Agway has in stock. Didn't want to buy it if it didn't work, but such an easy addition to our 'norm' if it's effective! thanks all!

I tried some tablets that disolve in water a couple of years ago, but the dogs would not drink the water.

A nice big knuckle bone, chewed twice a week for an hour, has given all my dogs greyt teeth.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

We do not feed slab bones / long weight-bearing bones....

Only knuckle bones, which are more cartilage/grizzle than bone.

Chicken feet are also good for the teeth, but not as readily available.

We've been feeding these to multiple large breed dogs for 30 years and have never had a broken / chipped tooth.

Maybe we're just lucky.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest team_tonio

I give Tony marrow bones for now... cant find chicken feet but have found backs... just a matter of getting to the butcher during work hours. Cant be any worse for his teeth than carrying dirty dishes out of the sink to his bed! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Moosey

I've used "V-Biotene" in my grey's water for about a month now and his teeth haven't had anymore yellow buildup. :D He gnaws on things as well, like bully sticks, which I think help buff a bit. The only drawback is that the bottle is really small and since I use about 8 pumps at each water change (we have a 4 quart bucket), it can get pricey over time.

We do not feed slab bones / long weight-bearing bones....

Only knuckle bones, which are more cartilage/grizzle than bone.

Chicken feet are also good for the teeth, but not as readily available.

We've been feeding these to multiple large breed dogs for 30 years and have never had a broken / chipped tooth.

Maybe we're just lucky.

I feed knee bones and they really do make a world of difference. Never had any issues with teeth.

• 2 months later...

So I tried the v- biotene additive and have been using it for about 3 weeks now. I think it is actually making my dogs' breath smell worse. Has anyone had similar results?

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

I give Tony marrow bones for now... cant find chicken feet but have found backs... just a matter of getting to the butcher during work hours. Cant be any worse for his teeth than carrying dirty dishes out of the sink to his bed! ;)

for chicken feet try a chinese/asian supermarket

So I tried the v- biotene additive and have been using it for about 3 weeks now. I think it is actually making my dogs' breath smell worse. Has anyone had similar results?

Could be that your hounds need a dental cleaning. The biotene should really should be used as an addition to daily brushing.... It would be like saying we use daily mouthwash like Listerine but, never brush---yuk right? I understand not ever hound is amenable to brushing that's where the water additives help but, they do have their limits.

Edited by tbhounds

I'm reluctant to add anything to water because when I did, I ended up with a UTI in Brandi. Maybe it was a coincidence, but it stayed until I stopped adding things to the water. We use Petzlife gel, daily brushing and chews of various types (currently liking the Paragon 'pasta' variety). Bones are no good as raw chicken or beef causes massive stomach upsets in both dogs.

Gig just had a dental in July when we got her. I do brush their teeth as best I can once a week with a toothpaste I got from the vet. Maybe it is a coincidence, but her breath never smelled until we started the biotene. I only started using it because of people talking about it on here and I thought it might help when I can't get their teeth good with the brushing.

Edit: they also get antlers to chew on every night!

Edited by BellaBean

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop