Corns In Other Breeds

Guest DifferentBreed

Guest DifferentBreed

Hi, all. First post. I don't have a greyhound, but the information on this site is very comprehensive! My dog has growths on his paws; me and my vet are at a loss of what they could be. I'm wondering if they are corns. Can someone take a look at these pics and see if it's similar to a problem you've experienced?

I'm just looking for a "Yeah, that's what my dog seemed to have," or "No, you should go down a different path."

He will start limping, and the growth will seem to grow out over a few weeks. Then he's fine for a few weeks until the cycle starts again. Very frustrating.

Links to pics if the upload doesn't work:

https://docs.google....SXN5eUVGUDIwZVU

https://docs.google....UHpfMW1DeTV2SGM

Yes, the second picture definitely looks like it could be a corn. While I have only heard of them in greyhounds, I'm sure they could present themselves in other breeds. Thera-paws were the only remedy for my boy with a corn.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Shepherd?

Print this out and show your vet: http://www.grassmere...l.com/corns.htm and http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/corn_hulling.htmVersion of this article was published in one of the vet magazines a couple years back but I forget which one.

(Edited to provide the second link, which shows how to hull them.)

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am by no means an expert, having just adopted a greyhound 2 months ago who now has 6 corns on 3 paws; however, the growth in photo two certainly looks like a corn to me. I have been researching corns for weeks and have looked at many photos in addition to my dogs pads.

What kind of dog do you have? I did hear about a lurcher with corns...

Tonight, I won a small battle in the corn war. Duct tape was attached to one of Miami's corns for about a week (we had to change it twice because it fell off) and today...PRESTO the corn pulled off with the tape!!

Edited by DeniseL

My whippet has corns - the can definitely occur in other breeds, although he is a sighthound. Agree with others - second photo looks like a corn.

I believe there is a yahoo group called something like corndogs - in addition to this site you might want to look that up - perhaps someone here will post a link.

I definitely think you are dealing with a corn. One of my neighbors had a Mastiff who had corns; they are not exclusive to Greyhounds. Different things work for different dogs. Many people have luck with duct tape; it didn't work for Mandy. Frankly, the best thing for Mandy is keeping her paw pads soft. Some folks use bag balm, but our vet told me plain old Vaseline Petroleum Jelly works just fine too. I usually put it on, then wrap her feet in Saran Wrap for about 15 minutes, then wash them off so she doesn't get the carpet greasy or slip on the solid surface floors.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest DifferentBreed

Thanks so much for the quick replies. He's a Belgian Malinois.

Yes, tender on hard surfaces; better on grass. Have been using bag balm for a few days now and he's not limping as much. Will definitely go back to the vet with the Grassmere info or find a vet further away with this kind of experience.

Good luck to you all in your endeavors to rid your dogs of these horrid afflictions.