Itching, Itching, Itching!

JenniferS

I just heard from Silver's veterinary dermatologist. She has a staph infection and a fungal infection, the latter possibly triggered by an allergic reaction to a bug bite: the triple-threat.

We'll start with doxycycline (for the staph) and pentoxifylline (for the inflammation). They're still working to figure out what to do about the fungal infection. (The culture indicates that Simplecef, Cefalexin, or doxycycline--all of which she had last year--should be effective against the staph infection. We'll see.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Plygreygirl

My Mia has seasonal allergies. This year was better than the last three as soon as I realize what the iching was about we started with clary din and Benadryl. Just so happened Monday was her yearly vet visit and was given direction to give her two Benadryl 3 times a day. So far it is working. So hoping we do not have use the preganzone this year. So here's hoping the weather gets cooler and stays cooler as the heat and humidity really seem to make it worst.

• 4 weeks later...

Jen, what did you end up doing for Wylie? Bixby has begun itching all over now, too. I'm so hesitant to use Benadryl but will start today since he's chewing himself raw in one spot.

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.

Wylie is doing much better! He was on a Benedryl regimen for a few weeks and he had an oatmeal bath and lots of brushing. That has seemed to get us through the worst!

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Glad to hear that Wylie is doing much better! Rally bathed both Lima Bean and Bixby last weekend but I'll have to look into the oatmeal bath or Malaseb shampoo. I gave Bixby several doses of Benadryl over the past few days and it really seemed to help. He was biting himself raw and that seems to have stopped. Thanks for the advice, Jen and Mary! :)

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.

• 1 month later...
Guest FlosMomma

It's been dry in our house & my girls have been scratching, too, more so at night. I started running a humidifier and it has helped all of us sleep better.