Keeps Licking His Bum

TINMANPDX

My male grey, Elliott, has been licking his bum non-stop (mostly in the mornings, but at other times off and onn) for the last week or so. He was at the vet's a couple of weeks ago to have a corn removed, and when he was there, we had his anal glands expressed. His poos look normal and he doesn't have fleas. He's not just licking his anus, rather all around his rear end.

He usually licks the most in the morning before his first walk.

He refuses to go out in our yard with our girl after breakfast to take care of business, and will wait until he gets a walk at around 9:30 AM. He would always rather do his business on walks (he gets three a day)and only uses the yard as a last resort. So I wonder if he may be licking because he needs to eliminate, but is holding it waiting for a walk.

Is this something you think I should get him to the vet for, or just wait another week or so? Any opinions as to why he is doing it?

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

I know his anal glands were recently expressed but I think I'd have them checked again. Our last foster was doing the licking thing and it turned out one of his anal glands had ruptured. I felt terrible!

I know his anal glands were recently expressed but I think I'd have them checked again. Our last foster was doing the licking thing and it turned out one of his anal glands had ruptured. I felt terrible!

Thanks - I would hate for that to be the case, or for him to have developed an infection due to the recent expression. I'll see about getting him in.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

When my girl did that about three years ago, she had an impacted anal gland. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson