Flakey Skin...seborrhea?

karinj

Hi! My new greyhounds is just off the track as of early July. When I first brought her home she had a lot of scabs and flakey skin at her hind. She was treated for fleas. I worked with it and it started to look so much better! Now, she is flakey all over! And it just started to flake heavily this past week. Seborrhea? Allergies?? I was reading that seborrhea can be caused by hormones, which I know they recieve hormones on the track. Any thoughts? She has a vet visit tomorrow for a followup from adoption, but wanted to check with the "experts" out there first!! Thanks!

Guest undergreysspell

Fish oil is good but it takes a few weeks before you notice it. In addition to the fish oil my vet told me to put a small drizzle of olive oil on her kibble once a day and it worked really fast. Within about 2 or 3 days her coat was super shiny and no more dandruff. Also you need to brush her to stimulate the oil glands in the skin .That's what worked for me. Congratulations on your new girl !

It could be the time of year. Teague never has flakes but he is now shedding and when this happens I notice his fur gets brittle and flaky as it falls out. As soon as it is over it goes back to normal...soft with no flakes. I have been brushing him daily with a rubber glove/brush that pulls out the fur and massages the skin. He also gets fish oil daily and a can or two of oysters (zinc) per week for healthy skin. Perhaps you should wait for a good month or so, as it could be related to the season/shedding. Some greys even get flakes from stress or change (ie. a new home). Unless you see red skin, bald spots, scabs, etc. I wouldn't worry overly much about allergies or skin diseases at the moment. :)

congrats on your new pup. don't worry....they all come off w/ miserable "track coats" and you pup had fleas...YIKES. give it time, at least a couple of months and be patient. a good quality food and fish oil will most likely do the trick, but it doesn't happpen over night. i like a liquid fish oil that i can control how many pumps i give the pups. lakse cronche cold pressed salmon oil is a good quality, my rep suggested it 7 years ago and i've stuck w/ it.