Barking During Thunderstorms

Payne has this quirky thing he does... he barks A LOT during thunderstorms. He'll be laying on his bed, then when the thunder hits, he runs down the stairs and starts barking. He'll do this half a dozen times until the storm eventually dies down. He will also go outside and stand in the rain and bark. It's the strangest thing. I actually don't think it's out of fear. It's almost like he's trying to be protective (or territorial)? He barks the same way when visitors come to the door, or when people walk through our alley. How do I comfort and reassure him without reinforcing the behavior?

:rolleyes: Molleigh does the same thing...tells the thunder off her way. The first time she did it I was so relieved because my first grey girl shook & panted so bad and nothing helped.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Molly will run outside and bark at the thunder if I let her. Very popular with the neighbors at 3a.m. :) It is definitely not fear. I just make her stay inside, she doesn't need to be out in the rain anyway! I have to be up with Sallie who is afraid and Fletcher who is somewhere in between anyway.

:rolleyes: Molleigh does the same thing...tells the thunder off her way. The first time she did it I was so relieved because my first grey girl shook & panted so bad and nothing helped.

Molly will run outside and bark at the thunder if I let her. Very popular with the neighbors at 3a.m. :) It is definitely not fear. I just make her stay inside, she doesn't need to be out in the rain anyway! I have to be up with Sallie who is afraid and Fletcher who is somewhere in between anyway.

I know! I had the opposite experience with Henry, who used to shake and cower during storms. He's still pretty bad during fireworks.

Payne is trying to get the storm know who's boss! It's not fun when I have to wake up early for work...

Eli did this during his first thunderstorm! He hopped off his bed, skittered across the floor (this is before he was terrified of the hardwood) and stood at the backdoor, just barking away. First, I laughed - neither of our other greys had ever barked! Then I got up, clapped once as loud as I could, and said "Quiet!" He did a little "getting the last word in" sort of bark, then ran to his crate and went to sleep. He hasn't done it since, though occasionally I'll catch that look in his eye o.O

Have you tried just clapping and saying "No" or whatever word you use for corrections? Also, I hear squirt bottles can be handy.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Corinna does this during thunderstorms too, well except the standing in the rain part as she would surely melt if exposed to rain :lol

During the day is one thing but at night I'd sure wish she would stop. It wakes up the whole house including my toddler, not fun to say the least.

The only thing that seems to work is bringing her in bed with us, which isn't the best solution either as she doesn't share well (not sleep aggression or anything she just hog every last inch of the bed and then refuses to move). As I've said many times before, she's sure lucky she's cute.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Only been thunder storm once since we got Bobby (just over 3 months ago) and he was okay with it

years ago we had a dog that was terrified of them but when he got older and deafer he would sleep right through them

Guest grtgreys

Shelley does not pay attention to thunder at all - it is the Iggie who tries to scare it away! She is not afraid at all - just noisy. Wish she were more like the big girl!

Edited by grtgreys