New Grey Need Advice

Guest Dogandcatlover

Guest Dogandcatlover

We recently adopted a 2.5 yr old retired racer. Injured hind leg not a fracture but likely hock and Achilles tear or strain. No longer racing. Still rehabbing but have been told all will heal well and doesnt appear to need pain meds anymore. Reluctant to stand on it but walks very well.

We have had dogs ans cats for 15 yrs currently one elderly small lap dog who loves the grey and 4 cats 3 like the grey 1 not so much but the grey shows ZERO aggressive tendencies and is very gently ignores the cats sniffs them but really doesnt have any prey behaviour at all not even on walks Seems comfortable but that's not the issue it's background

When we got him he was with think crated for possible healing for 2 months prior then spent about 3 weeks in an adoption kennel where he was apparently very outgoing and happy then fostered for 2-3 weeks with 2 other Greys in an apartment then we got him. We live in a house with a fenced yard and pool and he started off cautiously and followed us everywhere.

Since he learned to climb up and down stairs up way easier all he wants to do is go upstairs to our bedroom where he sleeps and lie down. He is not crated never was in foster care. He even hides in our closet at times. Seems jumpy spooky at every little noise, we can't get him up from lying and it's hard now to get him down the stairs to even go out to relieve himself - not really interested in eating the last 2 days and for the first week or so he scoffed down his food in seconds

He seems depressed or scared or spooked and when we do get him down stairs he tries to go back up (we block it sometimes with a baby gate) nd when he realizes he can't he lies down on one of the numerous beds we have in the furthest corner of the family room. Won't get up in the couch to cuddle

We are finding it frustrating and sad as we thought he was a happy dog. We were told he is not shy but "picky". He loves his walks and when on a leash follows and walks very well and no pulling or hiding although doesn't like meetin new people and is scared of other dogs.

So....is this just normal adjustment. ? How long should it go on for ? Can we do anything to improve things. Should we consider getting another grey so he feels more happy ? We have even told they do better with others.

Any advice or other questions about the situation would be welcomed

Thanks

He will adjust! Some of them take several months for their personality to blossom! Don't mistake his reserved attitude for sadness.....he is just adjusting.

My Jack spent his first several nights in the kitchen - as if he had crated himself there. It took him a while to come out of that shell.

Also, greys tend to just like to lie around on the bed....that's where they are their happiest.....

Just be sure that when he comes to you for attention, that you are always ready, willing, and eager to lavish him with love.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Dogandcatlover

Thank you. We do make a fuss and even give him a Benny bullie treat when he comes to us. But he rarely has for the last week. It's hard to get him downstairs as he wants to live up in our bedroom in his bed. He is clearly very safe there. He sleeps all night 10-7 am not a peep.

We are thinking of setting up a crate with a blanket over top in our family room so he doesn't feel overwhelmed there and has a safe place to go when he is downstairs.

And we also have been told not to make a fuss if he won't come down. Ie not to reward the behaviour we DON'T want by giving him attention

But we need to figure out how to get him to spend more time with US downstairs and not alone upstairs and still feel safe and not overwhelmed and comfortable. Again all advice is welcomed. We are very new to this !

As mychip said, it takes time. My girl didn't like the stairs going up to the bedrooms so spent the first 7 months of adoption alone on her bed downstairs at night. It bothered me -- after all, it seemed that every other Greyhound wanted to be with their humans in the same room if not on their bed!! -- but I realized that it was what *she* wanted and adopting Annie Bella was about both of us, not just what I wanted. As it turned out, after 7 months she didn't like being alone downstairs at night and, after a successful stair training session, she hasn't slept one night alone downstairs since February.

I'm just adding agreement that right now, the best way to figure out how to get him to spend more time with you is to not stress about it and let him move at his own pace. He's probably never had a human or humans all his own. There were plenty of people around him during his life up to adoption, but probably nobody thought he was as special and wonderful as you do.

Another "this is what my dog does" example: Annie Bella loves to be pet, scratched, given treats, brushed, fussed over, yada yada, but until about a month ago -- 13 months after adoption -- she didn't often seek out this attention. It was all me, or other humans, going to her and fussing. Who knows why after living with me for 13 months she started coming up to me and pushing that cold, wet nose into my arm to get attention or just standing next to me, slowly leaning her entire weight against my thigh. It's just her Greyhound thing and pretty much when it comes to behavior like this, I go with the flow.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest karilynn

I, too, think he will adjust! How recent is recently adopted? A month or so? I've had my boy for 6 months and he is still coming out of his shell, but has made HUGE progress. I can't even believe he is the same dog I started off with. I think my guy was a little happier in his foster home at first, as well, but a dog doesn't know it is in a foster home and sometimes the moving around process is stressful and might make them a little more hesitant to be truly comfortable as they could possibly believe they might be moving again. This isn't a proven fact or anything, just a theory I possess.

When I got Bullet, he was very timid, very shy, scared of just about everything. I had a few moments of dread where I thought, oh no, is this it? But please, do realize that it is not a permanent state of being! These dogs need time to adjust and feel comfortable in their new homes and they will get there, believe me. I've tried to put my dog in as many situations as possible where he is out of his comfort level a little bit and meeting people and dogs and hearing, seeing, and experiencing things that are a little spooky for him. And of course, they need a lot of time, love, and patience. A combination of exposure and patience is really what you need and you will have a truly different dog that lets his full personality shine through. I can't even begin to tell you how different Bullet is now. We still have a few things we are working on (the scary, shiny floors!) but he has overcome so many of his fears and he gets braver and more outgoing every day. He is so much fun and an absolute blast to be around. I couldn't imagine my life without him.

Give your boy time! He will come around and you will be amazed.

Edited by karilynn

Personally I would set up a crate. He obviously feels secure in one and he may not feel secure downstairs. If you put up the crate and he goes right to it you will know he needs a secure place to be until he adjusts to being in your home. It does take some dogs longer than others to adjust to home life. I wouldn't push, let him adjust on his own time. Continue his walks if he likes them, reward the good behavior with a treat or two and just give him some time. He will begin to act like the happy go lucky dog you were told he was, it just takes time and patience.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Dogandcatlover

Thank you all. The advice is well received and kinda what we thought but really had no idea for sure. Injury was end of April not sure where or what happened next 2 months. Likely stabbed and crate rest. Then to adoption kennel for 3-4 weeks, fostered for 2-3 weeks and we have had him 3 weeks.

Plan therefore is set crate up downstairs - see if he uses it and feels more secure (excellent idea) give him treats for beinf down and around us.

Continue to let him set the speed and try to not make a fuss and let him get comfortable. I guess 3 weeks is not long at all. Looks like it can take months. Ad he is so gentle and not at all possessive so we love him to bits !!!

Edited by Dogandcatlover

That love you feel now will turn into bliss when he comes out of his shell! Three weeks is nothing in the world of these dogs. He has no idea that this is his forever home....for all he knows, he will leave tomorrow - i.e. foster home...... I believe they often make an effort to be non-intrusive and out of the way until they realize that we belong to them....and the house belongs to them.....

A first floor crate is worth a try....it can't hurt.....and you are doing the right thing by not forcing the issue with coming down to join you. Eventually his notion of "this is a safe place" will lead to some curiousity....and then all-out interest in you. He may not be a hound who ends up extremely playful or bouncy, but most all of them end up bonding in some way with various degrees of affection-seeking.

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

I agree with the advice others have provided and your decision to set up a crate downstairs. As for needing another hound, I'll just share that our third hound was a bit like your boy in terms of needing time to come out of her shell - despite having her momma (!) and another female hound as companions.

Our third girl has been with us 20 months ... and DH and I still comment about the changes. She was very compliant, no muss, no fuss just follow the pack for months. Really, not much of a personality. No sniffing around on walks - one loooooong pee, poop, done. Strictly business. Now, she's a REAL dog - sniffing, peeing, greeting neighbors, etc.

Please share updates as time goes on and your boy's personality develops. It's an amazing metamorphosis! :confetti

Edited by bethac

Guest Wasserbuffel

It can take these guys a while. My grey went through three foster homes and a couple more handlers in the month it took from her retirement to the day I got her home. It took some time for her to realize she was home to stay.

Now, I've had her for two years and she does spend a lot of her time sleeping on the couches or queen bed in the spare room. When she's had enough alone time, she'll either seek us out, or she'll throw a fit. The crazy beasty will lie on the bed and start barking, rooing, and kicking until either DH or I go in and pet/play with her for a few minutes. If we ignore her long enough, she'll come out and make us pay attention to her.

Guest Dogandcatlover

Wow. You guys sure know how to make a family with a new grey feel better !! I will continue to look for your advice and follow the threads here. Very informative but clearly all things considered we really don't have much of an issue just impatience on our part. He doesn't soil doesn't bark or nip and is showing no aggressive tendencies so if that all stays the hiding and caution will likely pass with time as he gets more secure and gains confidence. We hope and assume

For now we will set up a crate downstairs and see how he reacts to it. Won't force it on him at all. If he likes it great, if not we will take it away so it doesn't add to his nervousness. when he does come down either to go outside or eat breaky or dinner will do our best to keep him down for a while as long as he isn't stressed.

We will block the stair case so he camt go up for a while each day to let him know downstairs is OK and we won't force him to come down if he doesnt want to. We know he is quite capable of handling stairs and if he does we will make a fuss and give he some treats we will reward the behaviors we want and are appropriate and we will ignore the others.

Thanks people

Edited by Dogandcatlover

By the way...I never commented on the "another hound" question. It doesn't sound like your guy has a separation anxiety issue.....but it certainly never hurts to get another!!! :hehe

Guest Wasserbuffel
Very informative but clearly all things considered we really don't have much of an issue just impatience on our part.

We understand. We all want our shiny new dog to be exactly what we dreamed of, but despite our impatience, we need to give them time. My grey never made eye contact in her first month, and not with DH for several months.

I would suggest hand-feeding and training as ways to encourage him to bond with the family.

Guest Dogandcatlover

Well thanks for all the advice. He makes eye contact when lying on his big donut bed upstairs and seems to like getting petted. We ignored him most of the day. My daughter was able to entice him down at dinner time - he went out to pee easily and we made a fuss and gave him treats took a while to get him to eat dinner but he did and he also went easily into the crate after standing out staring at it for 10 mins and he has now settled in it while we are in the family room watching TV. He has migrated to the back. We have the door open and blankets over the top to make it den like and we are taking this as a huge positive thing. Will keep you posted

You're doing a fine job!!!

Like everyone else has said...Time is your friend.

For the first several days when Nixon arrived, he would not eat unless he was in the crate ....with the door shut.

Took him two weeks to get up enough courage to try the stairs on his own.

Now...he's a Child-Friendly Therapy Dog..

:D

So...what is your fellows' ??

And...we need some pictures!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Hang in there; the best is yet to come. One of my girls was just like yours and she is now her obedience and rally titles. Once she got in the ring she became a real show off! I was the nervous one. :-) Oh yeah, and she is a therapy dog too.

Guest Dogandcatlover

Well here is an update ! Since placing an open access crate in the family/kitchen great (greyt) room and blocking daytime access to upstairs our grey has totally come out of his shell. He doesn't hide. He does spend most time lying and resting in his crate but if anyone comes in the house he is up and interested in who it is. He comes out of his crate often - tail wagging - to kiss us and see what's going on. Follows some of us around the main floor. And will come out on demand if we ask to go out to the yard to pee and/or poo and go for a walk. So we are absolutely thrilled. He seems to have adopted us now and is much more comfortable with the house. At bed time he doesn't hide in the closet but sleeps on his big donut bed. As a side note the injury he had in

May which ended his racing career appears to have not been treated well initially (we were led to believe it was minor but career ending "hock" injury that would fully heal but leave him non competetive thus sent for adoption) was infact a partial Achilles tear (gastrocs component) and the flexion contracture in his hind foot will in fact continue to worsen NOT improve with time and he will require tendon surgery to release or lengthen them to allow his foot to plant properly. We of course will go ahead with it as we love him to bits and will do what is necessary but will wait a couple of month until he has really settled in because we don't want to upset his bonding and the post surgical rehab will require a month or two of help with stairs - and maybe no stairs - and we don't want him to lose his trust in us this early

So....thank you all for your advice

Yeah!!!!!!!! And as the months go by, he will reveal more and more of himself. After 15 months of having adopted Annie Bella, she is still growing and changing as she understands and believes that this is her Forever Home. The most recent change is her diminished anxiety in riding in the car. I figure she finally understands that no matter where we go and no matter how long the ride, we always come back here, together.