My Greyhound Wont Sleep Thru The Nite

Guest Jenniferz13

Guest Jenniferz13

Ive had Stanley for 1 week and he wakes me up around 2 AM every morning to go outside and pee. I take him out before we go to bed at 10 PM and he cant hold it till morning. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Jennifer

Was he fostered?

That's prob what time he's used to get up. Might just take a few weeks for him to get used to sleeping later. At least that's what my experience has been.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest lanielovesgreys

He will adjust. Sometimes Laika (had her for 4 years) will go through a period of time where she won't sleep through the night, but really, you can't judge much the first week. Both of mine took over a year to let me really understand the type of dog they were.

Guest Jenniferz13

Stanley sleeps on the floor at the end of our bed now. He comes around and licks my arm to wake me up. Ive tried telling him to go back and lay down but he whines.

Does he always pee when you take him out at 10 pm? Make sure he does, and try walking him a little longer and see if he'll pee a 2nd or even 3rd time before going to bed. Do you know what time his foster home took him out for the the last time before bed? I'm a night owl, and my dogs' last time out is around 1-2 am. So if his foster home was on a different schedule, maybe he just needs time to adjust to yours.

It's also not unusual for them to need to urinate more than normal the first couple weeks in a new home. Change is always somewhat stressful, and stress can cause an increase in drinking and urination. So this may improve as he settles into your home and routine.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

When he wakes you up what do you do? Do you pet him, give him treats, play with him during the time you are up? If so, stop. Make it all about business (while being nice). Get up, take him out. Give a quick "good dog" when he potties, then go right back to bed. Sometimes the dogs wake us up because they know they'll get a cookie for going out or that you'll pet them.

If you think he may be doing it for a cookie, give him a small snack before bed to see if that helps.

Guest kkaiser104

I agree with what everyone else is saying--give him some time to adjust! Praise him for letting you know he needs to go out--many dogs will not do so. Teddi didn't do this when I first brought him home, but he also slept in a crate and would wait until I got him up in the morning. If he was out in my room he probably would have woken me up. FWIW, Teddi goes out between 10-11pm and is fine until probably 8 or 9am. Sometimes I have to fight him to get him to go pee before I go to classes, too.

Guest Wasserbuffel
Praise him for letting you know he needs to go out--many dogs will not do so.

THIS! My grey has been here two years and only learned about 6 months ago that whining from her crate will wake me to take her out. If she's loose and has to go, she'll just mess on the floor, because she doesn't know to wake me, and there's really no way to train her to do so.

Give your grey time to adjust to your schedule, and he'll probably be sleeping through the night in a few weeks. In the mean time, be glad you're just losing a couple minutes of sleep as opposed to cleaning the carpets in the morning.