Somewhat New Here. Hopefully Getting A Greyhound Soon!

Guest Amba1027

Guest Amba1027

Hi everyone!

I am kind of new here. I started a topic already looking for advice on adopting a greyhound when there is a small child in the house. Everyone has been very helpful and friendly so far. I thought I would take a minute to properly introduce myself.

I first fell in love with greyhounds when my family adopted one while I was in high school. Minnie was such a fun and wonderful dog who had a great personality. She was very shy at first but when she finally opened up to us she loved to play. Sadly we lost her after only 4 years to kidney disease. We got our second greyhound shortly after adopting Minnie because we thought she would enjoy having another greyhound around. So we got Zoey, who had a completely different personality from Minnie. Much more outgoing, yet calmer. We got to see another side of the breed which was also wonderful. In 2005 Zoey ruptured a disc in her spine. The best we can figure is that she slipped while running around outside. We took her to have emergency surgery and almost lost her to pneumonia while she was in the hospital. Luckily she pulled through. At first her back end was completely paralyzed but after some time and hard work she started to regain some movement. She never recovered complete control of her hind end but she is able to get around on her own now. Interestingly enough, she runs with much more coordination than she walks. She is 11 now and hopefully she'll be with us for at least a few more years. I know greyhounds typically live to be 12 to 14 so hopefully she'll be more towards the 14 end of that range.

I moved in with my boyfriend about a year ago and have been going through dog withdraw lol. We moved from our apartment to a house 4 months ago and I was looking forward to finally having a dog in my everyday life again. My boyfriend wanted to wait til we'd been in the house for a year before we got a dog but talked him into getting one now. I desperately wanted a greyhound but I didn't realize how much until I actually started thinking about getting a dog. I work as a receptionist at my vet's office and there are a lot of breeds that I like a lot and think are cute. But whenever someone comes in with a greyhound I HAVE to go pet it. The more I thought about this, the more I realized that I had to have a greyhound.

After some research we found a couple of rescues that work with people with young children (my boyfriend has a 4 year old son that stays with us sometimes). We picked one and sent in an application. A few days later we applied to another group just in case we didn't have much luck with the first one. This past weekend we went to Meet and Greets for both the groups we applied to. The people we met from each group were extremely informative, helpful, and friendly. The day after the Meet and Greets we got a call back from the first group we applied to. Our application had ended up in the woman's spam folder but luckily the people we talked to at the Meet and Greet told her we had applied so she went looking for our application. We did the phone interview and she is coming this afternoon for a home visit. She said she might bring a dog that she thought would be good for us. The 2 dogs on their site that I really liked both have adoptions pending but I'm sure we will be thrilled with whatever dog she chooses for us. They have a pair of 2 year old sisters that are pretty cute which she mentioned when we were on the phone. I think she is hoping for us to take one of them. I am very excited for this afternoon. I hope she brings a dog and that they have one that she thinks will be a good match for us. I know that if they don't have a good match for us right now they will work to find us one but I would just hate having to wait!

Anyway that is my novel of an introduction. I will post how it goes this afternoon if anyone is interested. And I will definitely be posting pictures of our greyhound once we do get one. I've already gotten some great help and advice from this site. I hope to get more and meet some great new people in the years to come!

Welcome...what a wonderful introduction. You sound like you will make greyt greyhound parents and I am so thrilled for you. Please keep us updated, I'm sure everything will go well.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Welcome to Greytalk.

Please remember that everyone in the adoption groups are volunteers dedicating their own time and resources to facilitate adoptions. Putting in multiple applications at the same time is wasting the time and resources of one group that you will end up not adopting from. You should wait until you have an answer either way from one group before applying with a second group.

It's fine to talk with multiple groups and attend their events or M&G's to get a feel for the way each group works and figure out which group is a better match for your situation. But multiple applications shouldn't be filed at the same time, as the groups and volunteers start incurring expenses at that point.

Best of luck with your new hound!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Amba1027

Welcome to Greytalk.

Please remember that everyone in the adoption groups are volunteers dedicating their own time and resources to facilitate adoptions. Putting in multiple applications at the same time is wasting the time and resources of one group that you will end up not adopting from. You should wait until you have an answer either way from one group before applying with a second group.

It's fine to talk with multiple groups and attend their events or M&G's to get a feel for the way each group works and figure out which group is a better match for your situation. But multiple applications shouldn't be filed at the same time, as the groups and volunteers start incurring expenses at that point.

Best of luck with your new hound!

Oh wow, I did not think of it that way. Most applications asked if you were also applying anywhere else so I figured it was common practice to apply to more than one. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Guest Amba1027

The home visit went well. The woman didn't bring a dog because she said she would like us to come see all of the dogs they have available and see which one we like. She also said they have a dog coming in on Saturday that she thinks would be a good match for us. So we are going to her house on Sunday to see the dogs and hopefully pick the one we want! She didn't mention if we could take the dog home that day, she just said we could see which one we like and when we are all ready for the dog to come home we could take it. I'm going to my parent's house tomorrow to get some things. My mom offered us the extra things they have so we don't have to go out and buy a ton of stuff. We should have everything we need by the time we go on Sunday so I am hoping we can bring our dog home that day.

I am thinking I may have biased myself towards the new dog they are getting in on Saturday. The woman seemed to think she would be a really good fit for us (she has been around children and gets along with them well) and I am hoping she is the one we like best. I was looking up her information on the website that has greyhound racing stats and pedigrees on it and I found out this dog is related to Minnie and Zoey! So now I really want her. I'm going to try and not let it cloud my judgement too much though. I'm sure you often find greyhounds that are somehow distantly related to each other but I got curious and checked out the other dogs we are going to be considering and none of them are related to Minnie or Zoey. I just thought that was crazy that she is related to both of them. Well, that ends my excited rambling for the evening. I can not wait for Sunday!

Guest Amba1027

We went to go meet the doggies yesterday. We love the new dog they just got in, the one related to my parents greys. She was pretty shy when we went to see her but you can tell she's a very sweet and playful dog underneath. We decided she is the one for us and will be getting her on Thursday. They wanted to keep her for a few days and get a better feel for her personality so they could tell us more about her when we do get her. They also wanted to work with her a bit more on the stairs. She can do them but is hesitant and it doesn't seem like she'll do them on her own right now. So Thursday they are going to drop her off. I can't wait!! I went and had a tag made today. Her name is Arya.

Guest Jacks_Human

Thanks! I will definitely have a ton of pictures to post when she gets here. Only 2 more days!! Longest 2 days of my life haha.

OMG the week I was waiting to go pick up my grey, I was like a little kid waiting for Christmas and a birthday combined. Except not as patient!

Guest Amba1027

One more day!!! I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!! Waiting for 3pm tomorrow is going to be torture. I'm going over to my mom's house to help her clean in the morning so hopefully she keeps me busy enough that the time goes by quickly. I can't wait!!!!

Guest Amba1027

Congratulations! I can't wait to see pictures of your new girl. What's her racing name? How old is she? You must be super excited!

There are going to be tons of pictures. I'll probably have to start a new thread for all of them lol. Her racing name is Marisa Can Dance and she turned 2 in April. I am soooo excited!!!

Guest Amba1027

She's here! She's here! Arya arrived promptly at 3. She sat quietly in her crate while we chatted with the woman from the rescue. Then we showed her around the house on the leash.

yCbL3l.jpg

We let her off the leash and put the muzzle on her in case she decided to go after one of the cats. (They have made themselves scarce since her arrival). We took her out for a walk and she thought everything was scary.

a0q57l.jpg

pupMGl.jpg

She's got the bald butt lol. She's on the shy side but is warming up to us pretty well already. We've gotten some enthusiastic tail wagging and some face licks so far. She is currently flaked out on her bed but spent most of the day wandering around. I haven't been able to get may good pictures since she's on the move so much. So this is it for now but there will definitely be more to come. I'm so happy she's finally here!