It's Dislocated This Time

Guest Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

Chevy's toe.....

IMG_0872.jpg

The bad news is it's after vet hours. The good news is he's calm & napping and doesn't seem bothered by it at all. He didn't yell out when it happened and does not seem to be in pain. So....I think I'll wait to take him to the vet tomorrow. What can I do for him tonight? Try to put the toe back in place? Please tell me how.

Wow!!!! Does it seem like it's going to stay???? (I know...stupid question...how can you tell??)

What a good baby to let you do it.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Adrianne

Wow!!!! Does it seem like it's going to stay???? (I know...stupid question...how can you tell??)

What a good baby to let you do it.

I'm hoping it will stay, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't. And he was a good baby.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I would carefully weave a piece of gauze between his toes (so the nails don't rub and make sores) and then bandage his foot with vetrap. If you can, make a little roll of gauze and place it under the dislocated toe at the joint and hold it in place while wrapping; to support the toe and help hold it in place while it heals. I use this method for dislocated toes that have popped back into place. I don't like splints at all; all too often the dog gets a worse injury from pressure sores. I leave the bandaging on for 3 days at most between checks and re-bandaging; it's imperative to check for rubbing between toes and any sores forming. I keep the foot bandaged for 3 weeks; then remove the bandage and start doing gentle massage on the toe, followed by gentle stretching exercises to restore range of motion. Exercise needs to be restricted for this whole time and up to 5 weeks, then he can work up to regular exercise. I have had good success with this method on 3 dislocated toes on 2 greyhounds :-) Both have returned to lure coursing. Most important thing is to put the toe back in place if you can, ice if it just happened, and bandage to immobilize.

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Guest Adrianne

I would carefully weave a piece of gauze between his toes (so the nails don't rub and make sores) and then bandage his foot with vetrap. If you can, make a little roll of gauze and place it under the dislocated toe at the joint and hold it in place while wrapping; to support the toe and help hold it in place while it heals. I use this method for dislocated toes that have popped back into place. I don't like splints at all; all too often the dog gets a worse injury from pressure sores. I leave the bandaging on for 3 days at most between checks and re-bandaging; it's imperative to check for rubbing between toes and any sores forming. I keep the foot bandaged for 3 weeks; then remove the bandage and start doing gentle massage on the toe, followed by gentle stretching exercises to restore range of motion. Exercise needs to be restricted for this whole time and up to 5 weeks, then he can work up to regular exercise. I have had good success with this method on 3 dislocated toes on 2 greyhounds :-) Both have returned to lure coursing. Most important thing is to put the toe back in place if you can, ice if it just happened, and bandage to immobilize.

Thank you so much for this. It's just the kind of information I was looking for.

Guest twogreytkids

My girl did this. I totally freaked out. Ran to the phone and called the vet. Couldn't get in for a couple of hours. Told to keep her quiet, so I made her go and lie down on her dog bed.

I went into the kitchen. A few minutes later, she walked in. I looked down at her foot. It was back to normal. I have no idea how she did it, but she fixed her toe by herself.

Canceled the vet appointment.

Guest Adrianne

The good news this morning is Chevy's toe has stayed in place. He's walking on it normally and is even acting frisky trying to play, so I've picked up all the stuffie toys in an effort to keep him quiet.

The bad news (why is there always bad news) is I leave tomorrow morning for an out-of-state wedding that will have me gone until Tuesday. If I were just a guest at this wedding, I would probably cancel my trip. However, I am the photographer and cannot NOT be there. So it will be hubby and Chevy for that time. I guess that's not really bad news, but I sure would like to be here because nobody takes care of my babies like I do.

• 6 months later...
Guest cwholsin

This was a perfect thread for tonight: Hermes was playing with the puppy and all of a sudden I see his back toe is POINTING THE WRONG WAY and he's holding it up O.O

After yelling at my husband that his toe's going the wrong way, I was able to gently move it back into place (no pain when it happened, no flinching or crying when going back in place) and this thad helped us with wrapping it up for the night. He's already on Rimadyl for a diffent owie toe. Dammit dog!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Adrianne

How is Hermes doing with his toe? Once Chevy's popped out of joint the first time, it was easier for it to pop out again. It would happen every three weeks or so. Knock on wood, it hasn't happened since before his attack, and he played hard tonight. Maybe the last few weeks of reduced activity gave it a good chance to heal.

It never popped out unless he did zoomies in the living room. I would try to calm him down and slow him down, but he's like a tornado when he starts. All of a sudden, he'd hold his paw up and go get on his bed and wait for me. After moving it back in place, he'd get up and walk around like nothing ever happened. No limping, no worrying with it.