Crazy For Food And Then Throws Up

Guest DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

So my girl Thyme is just a maniac with food. She is constantly food seeking and eats her breakfast and dinner with a vengeance. She will try to eat anything, including rocks off of the road lol. I even had to take her for abdomen xrays after she ate the leather cover off of a baseball we had lying around. We learned our lesson with that one! The house is puppy proof now. Twice she ate her meal and then got so excited about my husband taking our other grey out, 10 to 15 minutes later that she threw up her entire meal. None of it was even chewed up, the kibbles were whole. Then she proceeds to re eat it faster than the first time. Is this normal? Is it safe? I had her treated for tape worm about a month ago and have seen no evidence since. I am just concerned about her constance obsession with anything even slightly edible. Any info would be appreciated. Our other grey is only moderately interested in food and treats, although he is also a good eater...

Ah, yes, the old puke-it-up-and-eat-it-again trick. I never worried about it but none of my dogs ever puked regularly (a few times a year?). As to preventing it, I don't do anything exciting for about an hour both before and after meals and that seems to work here. And the fact that the kibbles are whole is perfectly normal -- their teeth are for ripping and swallowing, not for chewing and grinding. So, yeah, kibble thrown up soon after eating won't have changed much from the original, LOL.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Sounds like she's eating too fast. Some people put a tennis ball in the bowl to slow them down (tho this might not be a good idea with your girl ;))and they sell tennis ball size things at the pet stores for that purpose. Some invert a smaller bowl in the kibble bowl before filling it or feed in a bundt pan, muffin tin or rimmed cookie sheet.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My Tipper also used to eat very fast and then throw it up - whole pieces. Then, eat it all over again. I bought a bowl at the pet store that is divided into 3 sections so it slows her down. Have not had a problem since.

Guest DeniseL

Thanks, everyone! I will try a divider or some sort of object in her bowl to slow her down.

Are you moistening it at all?

I do mix her dry kibble with some wet food and then add water, to make it a little soupy. She seems to like it, however, she like EVERYTHING edible.

I guess I am just concerned about her appetite. I know all dogs are different, but I have never had a dog who is this obsessed with food. (Maya was but only when she was suffering from kushings late in life).

I also never had a dog that ate "things". Thyme ate the baseball covering. Miami ate the bandages off his corn foot and then pooped out a trouser sock last week. I am not even sure when he ate that. Needless to say, after the trouser sock incident we have gone over to house with a fine tooth comb for anything that can be ingested. LOL They are secured to only the first floor and a few rooms and we watch them closely other times.

I have to admit that even though they can be a pain in the neck (and can cause danger to themselves eating things) they are really adorable and very cute. I don't think I will own a "regular' dog again after these two. I love them to pieces. Especially when Miami picks up sneakers and collects them on his bed. SO cute!!!

Guest DeniseL

what are you feeding?

I'm pretty sure it is Pedegree total nutrition or something like that, a yellow bag. I am at work so I can't check. And the cans are Chop House, which I think is Alpo. She gets a multi vitamin and salmon oil every day. They go through a large bag of food every month so I tried to stick with a manageable price point.

For treats she gets baked chicken breast and a peanut butter or yogurt filled Kong once or twice a week.

Brooke also eats fast, even 3 years after adoption :) I try and tell her that her next meal will always be there, but she doesn't listen. :P We started off with a special bowl and then a ss ball in her bowl and eventually weaned her off of it when she slowed down slightly. She doesn't throw up though but one of our pups did one time (can't remember which one) and reate it.

Our eat rabbit poop so reguritated kibble can't be that bad.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Wasserbuffel

Re-eating food is completely normal and fine for her. Slowing her eating by adding a little more water, or something in the bowl, might reduce the vomiting.

When my cats were on kibble, they threw up all the time . . . Jayne often beat me to it. :puke

Sounds like she's eating too fast. Some people put a tennis ball in the bowl to slow them down (tho this might not be a good idea with your girl ;))and they sell tennis ball size things at the pet stores for that purpose.

I tried this to slow Sammi down. She used to be a normal eater (hoover, but didnt puke or choke/gag) but when we moved and didnt have the resources for a raw diet anymore, she was starting to scare me with how fast she was eating her kibble. :blink: So I read a bit and found the ball theory.

<_<

She picked it up in her mouth and dropped it next to her dish.

Got a bigger ball thing... she used her nose under it to launch it out of her dish and bounce it off of the wall.

Tried an inverted ceramic mug that my roommate was going to toss because the handle broke off.

Within a minute, I hear a commotion and then CLANGGGG-G-G-G-G-G-G-G. She pushed the mug out of the dish.

So now I wet it with warm water and let it sit for a moment, then feed her. No choking/gagging any more.

Something that might work, similar to a tenic ball would be to put a length of fairly substantial chain in her dish that she can't lift out. But you might a lot try feeding her in a kong ro with a Nina Ottoson game where she has to work for her food. That might slow her down a bit.

Put a large rock in her dish. She shouldn't be able to pick it out and she will have to eat around it. It will slow her down nicely. Just be sure that the rock is large enough that she can't ingest it. Smaller than a brick but larger than a coffee mug, or use two bigger than coffee mug-sized rocks.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest DeniseL

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!! I am trying various itemsin her feed bowl to deter her. I am also buying some better quality food for her so she is getting everything she needs to be a happy healthy hound!! :)

Guest lbooras

One of ours devours his food like a vacuum cleaner and then stands there and watches the other one finish eating. Moistening the food helps and the bowl with the hump or ball in the middle definitely slows them down. Some hounds are just more food driven than others. We feed our Nutro natural choice chicken and rice, but any flavor of theirs is great! Greatquality, but not the most expensive.

Guest IndyHound

I dealt with something similar with Goldie. From the moment I brought her home she would attack her food with a vengeance and run to a corner and throw it up then re-eat it and repeat this process 3 or 4 times until she'd finally stop. It was actually the owner of the greyhound resort that came up with an amazing solution that has worked wonders (2 months without an episode!!) I take 2 cups of water and bring it to a raging boil. Then pour it into her dry food until its even with the top of the dry food. I let it sit for about 2 min then stir after the food has absorbed almost all of the water I let her eat. I must have tried a hundred different things (feeder toys, small handfuls, a ball or cup in her food) none of it worked. This did the trick. And as far as eating everything Beckett is a doggie disposal, I've found rubber gloves, grass, pens a quarter and countless rocks in his poo. The first few times I freaked out and ran to the vet and finally she said unless he has pain or is unable to defecate not to worry about it.