Teeth

Guest Nycelle

Ha-no scam :-). Your hounds dental needs are no different than your own. Imagine if you didn't brush ever and only had your teeth cleaned every couple of years-oh my goodness you would really know who your true friends are :-)

Brushing will not remove the tartar that has already accumulated but, it will help prevent further build up. Applying products like PetzLife and Biotene veterinary gel can be beneficial too.

I brush my 2 daily--sometimes twice a day. I use a sonicare brush-of course you have to work up to that.

Some folks will feed chewies like rawhides (cet brand is greyt), turkey necks.... One thing I personally, will not endorse is bones like marrow or femur bones--I know they love them but, they are infamous for causing slab fractures. Most slab fractures=extractions.

I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions but, brushing should be first and foremost.

TMI?

Not too much information. As you pointed out, would we not brush our teeth for days on end? I try to do Annie Bella's teeth daily. Some days life gets too busy and I don't, but it's done at least 4 times a week, along with Dremeling her nails every 3rd day.

I brush their teeth daily - it's just part of the routine. After dinner and a short walk, they line up to have their teeth brushed and they each get half a dentastix after. I use a dog toothbrush/chicken-flavored dog toothpaste. Like anything, I had to just commit to making this a habit.

Nail dremeling every third day ... wow, now there's something I need to consider next! :eek

Daily brusher here - it does make a difference - no scam! :brushteeth

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

One of the fastest ways for an infection to get into the bloodstream of two-legged or four-legged creatures is through bleeding gum lines. Dogs can get gum disease, just as humans can. Some breeds have good teeth and little to no gum disease, but greyhounds aren't one of them.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest cristaron

Ron gets his teeth brushed once a day, every day with Petzlife. He's got beautiful teeth.

Frannie on the other hand, gets hers brushed twice a day. Morning with Biotene and night

with Petzlife. Needless to say, she was blessed with horrible teeth and even with the twice

a day maintenance hers are still building up tarter. I have noticed that she has an unusually

dry mouth and maybe the saliva has something to do with preventing build up. The Biotene seems

to help with the dry mouth though.

Brushing is a necessity. We've gotten in dogs that have never seen a toothbrush in their lives

and their teeth definitely show it (that is, whatever teeth they have left after they have their

badly needed dentals and lose most of them).

Keep those toothbrushes going!!

Guest Nycelle

Wow! I had no idea & never even thought to ask when I brought her home.

We gave it a go this AM with mixed results. Like everything else new it will take time to get into the habit. Her teeth are pretty tarter free but her gums are not looking all that sporty.

I have to agree that anything that ends up with a chicken foot will be easily incorporated into her daily life!

Thanks for all the (not too much) information!