Dustin - Slight Limp - Spot On Pad - Ideas?

mychip1

Hi All,

Yesterday I noticed a slight limp with Dustin...today it was a bit more pronounced. I took a look at his feet and he has a TINY spot.....a little bigger than the head of a pin. I thought maybe it was the start of a corn, but later in the day when I looked at it, it appeared to have a tiny bit of crustiness and the slightest hint of something coming out of it.

I put a little hydrogen peroxide on it, and sure enough, it fizzed noticably in perfect circle on the "pin head" spot with a more fervent bubbling in a tiny pinpoint in the middle.

My question......a corn wouldn't bubble would it??? I am assuming that the bubbling is because of contact with some type of infection. But if someone knows otherwise, please let me know.

What I think is that he has a small puncture. I don't feel anything in there, but I can't be sure that there isn't a tiny splinter or sliver of glass or something.

What is safe to draw it out? I don't think he'll soak well in warm water and epsom salts, though I was thinking of mixing some of that up and putting a hot compress on it..... Any ideas???

And, I am trying very hard KNOT to panic, as I was actually relieved initially to find some potential cause of the limp, if this is, in fact it.

Thoughts???

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Sounds like a puncture or a foreign body aka splinter. I would definetly soak that foot. Try using a Baggie--warm water and epsoms salts. If he won't let you do that use a warm wet wash cloth and wrap his foot in that. You may even have to wrap his foot overnight using an ointment like black drawing salve to help draw it out.

Bummer but, this is better then what we all fear when we see one if our hounds limp right?

Sounds like a puncture or a foreign body aka splinter. I would definetly soak that foot. Try using a Baggie--warm water and epsoms salts. If he won't let you do that use a warm wet wash cloth and wrap his foot in that. You may even have to wrap his foot overnight using an ointment like black drawing salve to help draw it out.

Bummer but, this is better then what we all fear when we see one if our hounds limp right?

Oh...absolutely... as much as I am concerned, I was filled with relief when I spotted it!!! How crazy does that sound? LOL!!! I was thinking about using something to draw....I actually have some new pads they use on horses with a drawing agent right in them...all you do is wet it and wrap it around the hoof...I was thinking about a small piece of that.....I can't imagine it would hurt....

What has me a bit thrown is how smooth it is....like a corn, you can see a perfect circles of "flat" skin but the tiny spot in the middle is why I think something other than a corn is the cause....

And in my world, a corn is not exactly a great diagnosis as I lost my Jack to complications from anesthesia after a corn hull and dental. Ugh! Of course, it still would beat that other horrible thought with limps as you pointed out!

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

If you have access to horse poultice I'm sure that can't hurt but, still think I would start with a warm water soak.

If you have access to horse poultice I'm sure that can't hurt but, still think I would start with a warm water soak.

Poor Jack-how horrible.

Poor Jack-how horrible.

Yup...going with warm water tonight....and see where we go from there....

Yes....my boy was shy of his sixth birthday when I lost him.... Let's just say that if it is a corn, I will do everything in my power to avoid surgery!!! (Kind of like I brush their teeth until they just about fall out to avoid a dental!!! :)

Glad you have something on hand to draw it out (whatever it is). In a pinch you can use soap and sugar. My Mom used to use that when I was a kid, it felt really weird.

Hope Dustin is back to normal very quickly.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Robin, good thoughts for Dustin and you. Hope you can soak his paw and whatever is in there gets out. Let us know an update tomorrow pls.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Glad you have something on hand to draw it out (whatever it is). In a pinch you can use soap and sugar. My Mom used to use that when I was a kid, it felt really weird.

Soap and sugar? How is that applied? I've never heard of that but sometimes those things work the best!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Any update Robin?

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Oh no...poor Dustbin Dustin

;)

I'd go ahead and put a small piece of the soaked animalintex on it, and wrap it with some vet wrap.

It could take a a couple of days or so for whatever is in there to come out.

Poor boy.

When Nixon had a ripped nail, I also found that toddler-sized socks worked really well at keeping the foot covered/clean.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Soap and sugar? How is that applied? I've never heard of that but sometimes those things work the best!

My Mom just mixed up some bar soap and sugar together then put it on a large band aid or gauze. Taped it on over night and ewwww they yuck that would be there the next day!!

Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Hi All!!! Thanks for all the input and concern for my sweet boy. He is still limping, thought the spot looks a bit smaller; however, if there is something in there, I'm not sure I want it to shrink until I know it is clean.

I am going to use the animalintix on it to draw.

As far as the sugar mix, we used to use brown sugar and iodine in a pinch with horses to draw out anything and strengthen souls....old blacksmith's used to swear by it!! :)

I put the peroxide on again today, and again, it bubbled right in the center...clearly there is some opening to be generating the fizzing.

I did put epsom salts on a warm wet gauze pad last night and helt it on him. Will do the same tonight and will get the lintix tomorrow. I used to keep a supply in my Explorer, but when I upgraded to the new one, I'm not sure what I did with everything in there...so I will run by the tack shop tomorrow (after digging to the bottom of my tacktrunk tomorrow to see if there is some in there.)

As backwards as this sound, I was somewhat relieved that the limp became more pronounced after I poked at the spot a bit. I am still hoping that this "spot" is the cause.

Not sure whether you do Robin, but Locust trees have brutal thorns and we have them at our house in Maine. Also there are Rugosa Roses on our the same property and between the two, I also have to clean these up to make sure Shelby doesn't get them in her foot. Do you have either?

LOL!! Yes....mystery fangs!

Kyle...I don't have locusts around, but we do have rose bushes that our neighbor grows right next to our fence! Sometimes they grow over a bit into the yard...in fact, JJ howled the other day (it doesn't take much for him) because he felt one scratch his head. I hadn't even given that a thought!!!! I could see where this could be a thorn.....I can almost see something dark in that tiny hole.....

I talked to my vet and she wants to see him. I am bringing him first thing tomorrow.

Given that the peroxide still bubbles, I know I have some bacteria hanging around there...and I don't want to go too long. He is in increasing discomfort.....though, with horses who have abscesses, that usually means it is moving to the surface. I'm hoping the same here.

What she asked ^^^^^ :P

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

Update on Dustin...

We went to the vet this morning. She saw the spot and says it looks like a small puncture, but did not believe that was causing the limp. She felt higher up his leg and felt a bit of fluid in his shoulder area. Then when they pushed on that shoulder a bit more, he yelped. That was the shoulder he had his distemper shot in last week....he never has had sore muscles from a shot, but she thinks that it may be a combination of the fact that he was nervous and resisting (and might have pulled something) and then getting a shot in that same area on top of it.

However, because of the worry of Evil C, her husband (who was the one who ran the racing kennels where I got them - and who shows particular concern for them) seemed unsettled and wanted an x-ray. He said he didn't want to waste my money, though. I said that for the peace of mind, fifty bucks was worth it!

So...GOOD NEWS....x-ray showed nothing in the bones....and she could see the fluid build up between the muscle and the bone. So tramadol, rimadyl, methacarb and, of course sucralfate for his delicate belly!

Thanks to all for your concern....and advice.

That is good news....you had me scared there when reading that there was something going on in the shoulder. Hope Dustin heals up quickly!

Kyle....I felt my heart sink when he yelped withg the shoulder. The only thing that kept me calm was that just prior, she said she thought she felt fluid.

Now my challenge is dealing w/meds with his belly. Just from the methacarb (even with sucralfate), he had a growly tummy. Now I have to give Rimadyl...which is a horror on their bellies. I got his pepcid down him and he seems a bit better, so now I will try the rimadyl and tramadol.

Glad you found out what it is and hope he heals up quickly...with no upset tummy issues to complicate things.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Glad to hear you've found the cause and hope he's on the road to a full recovery!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown