Missing A Toe?

Guest ctgreylover

Guest ctgreylover

Violet came in from the back yard limping. I did not find any blood. Could not find any signs of injury.

A little while later I saw her licking her back paw and realized the nail maybe the toe is missing. She is acting normal other than waling funny.

What should I do?

Just got a better look - its there - its dislocated - sort of tucked under a tad

Sounds like a pretty serious dislocation, which may involve a completely torn ligament. I would also get to the vet (of course it's Sunday!). It needs to be wrapped at least, and she needs pain meds. It may heal; if the ligament is torn, it might eventually require amputation (this is what happened with my Beth).

If it's just dislocated, you in theory should be able to pop it back into place (it will still need wrapping and rest). But I haven't done that so can't advise you, except to put a muzzle on the your dog before you try. If it won't stay in place, there is a good chance of more serious ligament damage.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest ctgreylover

We are going to the e-vet later today. Hopefully its nothing tooo serious. She's napping now. no labored breating/no panting. She's acting so normal. but the toe is in a funky postion. GT is always great for advise and support! Thanks

Guest zombrie

It sounds like it may be what happened to Mira. She was out in the yard and her toe badly dislocated, it was actually underneath her foot in between the pads. Amazingly, no ligaments were torn and nothing was broken. Hopefully that is the case for Violet. A warning - Mira's toe frequently and easily dislocated (as easy as just walking normally) after the incident, so her foot had to be wrapped for several weeks (wrapping between the toes was a must, since it dislocated inwards. We almost had to amputate but the vet convinced us to wait, and I'm glad we did. It healed nice and tight and she doesn't have problems (knock wood!!)

Let us know how it goes!

Guest jenniferk

Poor Violet! My own Django (we adopted him 3.5 months ago) broke his toe 3 weeks ago (I guess while running in the dog park--we didn't see anything unusual happen). He's had to wear a splint and no walks or exercise (which is pretty much fine by him). We just went today to get his splint changed, and he has no pain anymore and the vet was going to let us keep the splint off for good. But xrays showed not enough bone calcium (or whatever it is) was formed, so it's one more week for the splint. He's pretty much used to it now, but we'll all be so much happier when the splint is off and we can go back to our normal routine. Hope Violet heals quickly too!