Your Experience's With Lymphoplasmacytic Stomatitis,

Guest kelli123

Guest kelli123

Our 4yr Old, (Dove) whas diagnosed with Stomatitis Yesterday, After 3 weeks of failed attemps at lazer treatment teeth cleaning and $980.00 at treating her for what our vet thought was gingivitis , I suggested it could be Stomatitis and took a copy from Osu web site on Stomatitis for him, She has swollen lymph nodes ulcers on gums and extreme redness. So now we are treating with Azthioprine and Pain meds. My question is have you experience with this and what was the best treatment if this doesnt work?

What to feed her and how to take care of her mouth in the future?

Is it curable or will she now have this forever? She is not wanting to eat i dont want her to loose any weight.. Thanks for any advice you have . My vet is not Greyhound savy . We are in a small town so i guess we are educating each other.. Another reason im here looking for all the advice i can get.. Huggs to all of you that can help.. xoxox

386443_2393318873673_139916602_n.jpg

Guest JillinMichigan

Sierra (Lrs Sierra), one of my former foster dogs has stomatitis, and she now only has 2 teeth left. Unfortunately, the fix for this is usually many or all teeth extracted. However, she does have a healthy appetite and she turned 10 in April. Her family puts water on her dry food to soften it for her.

If I'm not mistaken the only real treatment for stomatitis is removing the teeth. They can do fine without them.

I'd advise consulting with OSU and see what they say. I just went and looked at the age -- 4 is very young.

Yup-extractions. Definety consult with OSU-they do have a dentist on staff-perhaps the ghwp will be able to consult with them for advise.

Guest kelli123

Oh man i hope it don't get to that point having to have all her teeth pulled.. I'm praying that we can control it with meds And teeth cleaning ..

I'm happy to see that there is only one On the board that has this. Must not be to common.

This was a problem for a senior dog I adopted. Was working hard on oral care & just couldn't keep up on it. His gums were in terrible shape & I was sure he would loose most of his teeth. Because it looked so bad despite my efforts I took him to a veterinary dentist for a super cleaning that turned out much more thorough than the local vets seem to do. His teeth were actually in pretty good shape. He lost one to a small tumor on a ligament but the real problem turned out to be stomatitis. She didn't say lymphoplasmacytic stomatitis just stomatitis but it was an autoimmune reaction. My boy went on an NSAID & I worked even more aggressively on preventative care. As long as his teeth stayed squeaky clean things were alright but if I started to loose the plaque battle things began to get ugly. He still needed regular dental cleanings but got to keep his teeth & things never again got as bad as that first time after the stomatitis had started. It was a tough battle.

I remember the mention of removing his teeth or some other drug therapy if needed later. We would not have chosen immune mediating drugs or my guy as he had chronic lymphocytic leukemia. In fact, his leukemia might have been a contributing factor to his terrible plaque problem &/or development of stomatitis. Hope your girl does well on the drug regimen. It makes sense to give the drugs a try but but please do not fear pulling teeth. They can do very well without them & live quite happily. It isn't the big problem we may think. It's certainly better than the painful sores or some of the possible adverse effects of the drug. If your girl has problems with the drugs then took removal is a valid & not awful approach. It just sounds awful.

Edited by kudzu

Wow, I now know what our Ambi might have, thanks for posting this! I went to look at the link for Dr. C's newsletter and that picture of the mouth looks exactly like Ambi. Without us knowing this, he has had 2 dentals in the past year, having 13 and 9 teeth removed respectively, if I remember correctly. The gums around remaining teeth in his mouth are looking very inflamed again. He eats fine though, small sized kibbles, he just swallows them.

Question for those in the know: Removing the teeth, would that include the canines too? I don't ever remember seeing a dog without canines.

Thanks, OP, for posting this!

ETA, our Ambi was 4 1/2 when he had the first of his two dentals. I see that Dove is 4 also.

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Not sure what the latest and greatest thinking on this subject is, but experiences with my cat about 10 years ago would prompt me to pull all the teeth. Lymphoplasmacytic Stomatitis is most likely an immune reaction to the plaque and the only way to eliminate the immune reaction is to eliminate teeth that harbor plaque. Wish I had done that with my kitty. Instead, I was encouraged to treated with Prednisone which ultimately caused all sorts of complications, even though I was very, very conservative in dosing.

Please understand that this condition is EXTREMELY painful for the animal. Please consider the animals comfort first. I will have teeth pulled in a heartbeat if I am ever faced with this diagnosis again.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest kelli123

Yep swollen Very Red gums and ulcer like oval white spots on gums. If it does not get better we will talk about pulling teeth. I'm hoping the Azathioprine will work. Osu's news letter said they have good luck with this drug. :goodluck

She does not want to Even look at her dry food even when softened up with water. I read some where Stomatitis dogs do Not do good with dry even dry softened food , The small granules and very irritating on there gums. Right now we are on canned A/D But at $2.00 a can the size of a small cat food can it would cost $84.00 a week to feed her this. So looking in to other alternatives.. Any Suggestions on a good canned food at reasonable price?

I'm so sorry Dove is dealing with this. :( Definitely contact OSU (do you know how to?). Years ago, I had a kitty with it as well. We actually used a very diluted dose of interferon & he did very well with it. My vet told me because of weird cat physiology, they have almost no side effects from it, although dogs have some & people have lots. I'm not sure it's used at all in dogs with stomatitis but you could ask OSU. You might want to consider home cooking his food - more work but cheaper. http://www.dogaware.com/diet/homemade.html

Dove has an extremely cute schnozz & a beautiful name. :wub:

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

My guy never had a problem eating. In fact, eating was his favorite hobby & loved all things crunchy. He hated having his teeth brushed but with the addition of dental gels & special rinses we kept things under control so tooth bushing was a short, once a day event. It sounds like your girl has a much bigger problem than my Luke did. Guess we really did get lucky in a way.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kelli123

Dove is doing great on her new meds, So if any one of your dogs get Stomatitis i would suggest this web site.. This is the protocol we used for her treatment.

http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/assets/pdf/hospital/bloodBank/wellness/newsletters/2007/ghwpNewsletterSpring2007.pdfdd

I also was told to buy these tablets that i have been using and they are working wonderful . I have started using them also on Our other grey Gracie .

http://www.amazon.com/Periodontal-Health-Advance-Formula-Softgels/dp/B004BAY9ZW/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1347472138&sr=1-3&keywords=efac

I had a cat with this condition. The only real fix was to have all of her teeth pulled. That sounds drastic, but it's a heck of a lot easier for them to deal with having no teeth than to live with constant pain.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest kelli123

Mrs, Burp Dog, Her gums are almost back to normal now and she is back to eating her dry food like a champ. The A/d was only because of her not eating at all because of her ulcerated gums. The Doc didn't want her to loose a large amount of weight. The meds are working great . So we will get a new blood test on Wednesday. And try to figure out our next steps to controlling this . Thanks for asking