Da Vid Back At Vet

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh no :( I'm so sorry :( :(

I hope you can stay strong for your boy -- I know it's tough :sad1

sending both of you many hugs and prayers :hope :hope :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:(

I'm so sorry he isn't better. Sending hugs for you and prayers for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh no!! I am so sorry! Sending you strength and love.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Ah, Nan, I'm so sorry. I'll be sending lots of good thoughts out to you and Da Vid, and hoping for a positive update.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Hope he feels better soon.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Ugh-is this the same vet?

How close are you to the University of Georgia Vet School? I'm not suggesting that you try and transport your boy now but, once he's stable maybe it's time for another opinion?

Ugh-I think you both need a break at this point.

Ugh-is this the same vet?

How close are you to the University of Georgia Vet School? I'm not suggesting that you try and transport your boy now but, once he's stable maybe it's time for another opinion?

Ugh-I think you both need a break at this point.

Savannah to Athens (about 230 miles) is more than four hours.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I took his food to him early this morning, but he would not eat. They had just taken him outside and he was still hurting from that when I got there. I was able to get a Gamapatin (spelling) down him and after about 30 minutes he went to sleep. They have cleared out a back room for him and I took his Virginia Peak huge bed. She did not want to crate him (she knows my hound). I am going back in a couple of hours and take him his dinner. She is my regular vet and not the surgeon that did his back surgery. It has been 9 weeks since the surgery. My regular vet says it will take months before he is finally healed. You know, friends, I did not let Huck hurt but 1 week before I ended it. I am not into letting Da Vid hurt either. Does anyone know anything about this damn back surgery and how long it takes to heal? Thanks

Took food again to him to night. He had not touched the food I left this morning. I tried to hand feed him his dinner. He would not touch it. I also tried to give him some water. No water either. Vet is going to give him a bag of water between his shoulder blades. She told me it takes two of them to lay him down. Once he is down he relaxes and sleeps. She said his prognosis is good and she just thinks it will be a long haul.

It has been 9 weeks since the surgery. My regular vet says it will take months before he is finally healed. You know, friends, I did not let Huck hurt but 1 week before I ended it. I am not into letting Da Vid hurt either. Does anyone know anything about this damn back surgery and how long it takes to heal?

Do you know which disc it was, and what procedure was done? For a typical back surgery for a ruptured disc, I would have to disagree about the time frame. The dog should not still be in significant pain 9 weeks out from surgery. The pain from the disc compression is usually immediately relieved by the surgery, and then it's just dealing with the post-op pain which should be mostly gone by the time sutures come out in 2 weeks. If there were neurologic deficits before surgery, regain of full function can take several weeks to months, but I wouldn't expect much pain during that recovery period. I'd be concerned that there's something more going on. Do you have the option of traveling to see a neurologist?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

It has been 9 weeks since the surgery. My regular vet says it will take months before he is finally healed. You know, friends, I did not let Huck hurt but 1 week before I ended it. I am not into letting Da Vid hurt either. Does anyone know anything about this damn back surgery and how long it takes to heal?

Do you know which disc it was, and what procedure was done? For a typical back surgery for a ruptured disc, I would have to disagree about the time frame. The dog should not still be in significant pain 9 weeks out from surgery. The pain from the disc compression is usually immediately relieved by the surgery, and then it's just dealing with the post-op pain which should be mostly gone by the time sutures come out in 2 weeks. If there were neurologic deficits before surgery, regain of full function can take several weeks to months, but I wouldn't expect much pain during that recovery period. I'd be concerned that there's something more going on. Do you have the option of traveling to see a neurologist?

Totally agree--this dog should not still be in pain.

Edited by tbhounds