A Funny Medical Post (Or, Talk About Nervous Moms!)

Beth was recently diagnosed with a histiocytoma on her chest and, much more gravely, my friend's senior grey just had a sarcoma removed from his hind leg, so bumps on dogs are rather on my mind at present. This morning I suddenly noticed a small bump under the skin on Beth's lower abdomen -- I saw a little protrusion and then felt it. I got pretty alarmed as I do about things and got an appointment to bring her in to the vet at 10:00.

So a very experienced tech and then the vet felt it and . . . . it's her bellybutton. :blush Though I can't explain why in four years I never noticed before that in a relaxed position Beth has a tiny visible "outie." I can't say I've thought about dog bellybuttons one way or the other before, to be honest.

And no, they didn't charge me for that. I'm a really good client, as you might imagine. :rolleyes:

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest undergreysspell

I just checked my girl and can't find hers. I guess they're not all visible? or maybe I'm looking in the wrong area? ha ha..... Hate bumps on dogs.

Ha- ha! These posts are welcomed in H and M because the dog is fine, and we are entertained! Remember the thread about " olives"?

I actually thought about "olives" while I was laughing with the front desk folks at the vet while checking out! One of them told me how someone brought their dog in all hysterical because of a growth and ... it was his penis! (But I privately thought, "must have been the olives.")

Edited by PrairieProf

Phew! And thank you for the laugh! I, too, have never thought about doggie belly buttons... Hmmmmm... Glad all is ok though!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

I once asked my vet to take a weird mole looking thing off of my angle Pepton's ,, well it was close to his winker-doodle :)

he informed me that it was his Nipple and probably should be left alone.

can't believe i actually am admitting this sad but true story

:sofa

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

OK, let's all give them an extra biskie because I KNOW I'm not the only one who checked out greyhound belly buttons just now :)

So did anybody else find one? I still think it's odd that in four years I never felt the little bump/knot there before, or saw the tiny protrusion. I can still make myself worry wondering if it's sticking out more now for some reason.....

Edited by PrairieProf

Yep. Both my guys have them--but they don't have outies. Not innies, either really. Sort of flatties...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest kirstenbergren

I'm totally checking PJ when I get home from work. I've never even thought about belly buttons on dogs. lol. I'll let you guys know if I find his. :hehe

I don't have a roaching hound, but I found his belly button. So funny! It indents a little, but when I put some pressure on it I can feel a little bump below. But definitely an "innie".

Edited by kirstenbergren

Extensive knowledge of belly buttons can be yours if you have roaching fools:

7091524159_854d245429.jpg

Even with a bad back, Sam still roaches:

6215365595_a52c66e9a8.jpg

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

:lol That is too funny. Be right back .............. :coastie

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I saw a dog for a "large knot on her side" last week. She was a small poodle-type dog, and the knot was a piece of red hard candy that was slightly melted and matted into her hair. The owner was embarrassed and said that she doesn't care how squeamish she is, she's looking closer next time, before bringing her in, even if it makes her throw up :lol

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Can't tell you how many times I have had gentlemen bring their dog in for a tick removal--turns out many times it's the dogs nipple. When explained to the owner I hear all the time that it can't be he's a boy----ahhhh what?

They really don't like when I ask them to look down their shirts and tell me what they see---sometimes work can be fun!

Can't tell you how many times I have had gentlemen bring their dog in for a tick removal--turns out many times it's the dogs nipple.

I have a friend who went out of town, and her husband spent the weekend trying to pick a 'tick' off their female greyhound's belly. When she got home, the poor dog's nipple was all red and inflamed.

Jennifer &

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest grandmagrey

Ok time to fess up to my dumbest moment and keep us all laughing. Worried about my dog w possible cancer while waiting for the final diagnosis, i noticed her gums had lots of dark brown/black spots on them. Convinced she was bleeding internally, i rushed her to the vet where i was informed that was normal pigment. Shes 9. Wouldnt you think i'd have noticed

her gums before!? Lol by the way, shes cancer free, thank god!

Beth is a big roacher but I spotted the tiny bump (barely a bump, about the size of a mosquito bite) when she was lying on her side with her stomach relaxed. I can still feel the knot when her belly is tight, though.

BTW one of my cats has a little hairless spot in the middle of his belly I've always wondered about, but I think I just figured out what it must be.

And yeah a while back I thought her nipple was a sebacious cyst like she gets and tried to squeeze it ... :blink:

My vet said "Don't post, don't tell" when I was smacking my head this morning but I had to share anyway. :)

Edited by PrairieProf

The nipples ones crack me up. :lol

Princess came in limping, badly, from the yard. I checked her over, found nothing, and gave it some time... She was still really limping so I called the vet and made an appt, thinking obviously that something was REALLY wrong. Out of curiously, I happened to check her foot again - this time, really looking at her toes.

And there it was.... a baby pine cone jammed up into her foot! Ah, well... at least I found it before I got to the vet. :lol

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Did I read it here a few years back, that someone tried to burn off a tick and it turned out to be the dog's nipple? OuCh.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Did I read it here a few years back, that someone tried to burn off a tick and it turned out to be the dog's nipple? OuCh.

I've had a couple clients try that with skin tags. :yikes Not a good way to get ticks off anyway.

Jennifer &

gtsig3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest OPointyDog

I had one of these moments today and was reminded of this thread....

I leaned down to pick up Zoe's poop on our walk, and there I saw the most HUMONGOUS tapeworm I've ever seen!!

Then I realized it was a rubber band she'd eaten.