Are There Any Brown Greyhounds?

Guest dartgtlb

Someone had three littermate puppies at GIG a few years ago. One was blind or blind in one eye or something like that. I think they were up for adoption. I saw one of them in Dewey after that. I know someone that has one in Lessburg VA. She's beautiful!

Yes, I remember seeing them at GiG 2 years ago. They were quite striking.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't the late Linda Jensen have dun littermates?

They are almost nonexistent in the U.S. While still very rare there are more in Ireland.

She had a whole litter of duns she placed.

Some of those must've been the dogs I saw at the Greyhound Expo.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I knew of one named Anya (not sure of the spelling). She was the most striking hound I've ever met.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I had always heard that color referred to as liver. I saw a striking liver brindle (that's what her owner said her color was when I asked) at Dewey in 2002. I was so smitten with her that I took her picture. Her nose and pads were a pinkish brown. Her name was Rose. :wub:

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Someone had three littermate puppies at GIG a few years ago. One was blind or blind in one eye or something like that. I think they were up for adoption. I saw one of them in Dewey after that. I know someone that has one in Lessburg VA. She's beautiful!

I think that's Denise & her friends... she had a dun and people she knew had all the littermates - including a dun brindle!! Stunning dog!! And, yes, one or two were blind... (I think they got them from Linda J...)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

check out this girl - Dun and White cowdoggie:

http://www.greyhound...n Rose&x=21&y=7

-

That's the third grey in this post whose sire is Premier Fantasy. Even though he's black and white, he must be the carrier of that dun color. Though I'm just guessing, here, since I know zilch about genetics.

Yes he does carry the dun gene, Premier County also threw some duns. Premier Fantasy is Throp's daddy.

I post this before but this is my favorite Dun:

speckledgreyhound.jpg

Here's some more:

dungreyhounds.jpg

The bottom picture is one I took of Elvis and some of his brothers shortly after they arrived at the track from the training farm. The rest of the littermates were more normally colored. Officially, his color is dark red, there is no dun, liver or chocolate category to choose from :)

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Hello Ms. Cheryl! How are you? Did I read somewhere you lost Elvis recently? I am so sorry!

We are now up to 6 houndies, can you believe it? We had only Jamey when you met him.

Hugs,

Tin

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

I think that's Denise & her friends... she had a dun and people she knew had all the littermates - including a dun brindle!! Stunning dog!! And, yes, one or two were blind... (I think they got them from Linda J...)

Yes, I do believe Denise got them from Linda!

Berkeley was a sabled blue fawn, which was sort of a shiny brown when he was younger - as he got older, he got white all over so it was sort of a bleached out brown. :) Certainly not a dun, but an uncommon color.

http://greyhound-data.com/d?showpic=1013396&nm=2&time=1312717049

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

• 4 months later...
Guest abchistory

Hello from A frozen Penrith in Cumbria, Northern England. The Uk.

Indeed brown greyhounds do exist. One lives with us here in Cumbria, A rare hound indeed. Here' is video of our hound on St' Bees beach Nr Whitehaven Cumbria The Frozen North of England. This hound is very cheeky and has very big ears. She's a rescue dog from Dumfries Greyhound rescue, Tried out on the track I was told but would rather sleep. Just like me.

This dog looks black.

This made me L.O.L. b/c I'm pretty sure any available duns would be snapped up by a volunteer long before they ever made it to an "available for adoption" page. It used to be that way with blues..not sure if they're becoming more common or less desirable but I'm seeing more and more.

I agree they are adorable!

I wonder how much of the increasing availability of blue greyhounds to adopters is due to breedings sired by Trent Lee. He's been among the top greyhound sires for many years now, and he's well known for throwing black and blue pups exclusively. He's been a stud since 2006, and he's sired about 2500 pups.

Guest abchistory

I believe I have family in Portland. My mother visited a few years before her death in 1998 and there goes the history. She brought back place mats from the Shining hotel but had no idea of It's history. Ah well.

Back to the track for the dog earn some cash . Only joking. Don't know if you know but here's a classic Who tune dedicated to Greyhounds.

All the best.

Stephen Divers