Hyperkeratosis On Feet

Guest grandmagrey

Guest grandmagrey

Our siberian husky (Akaila) is having a terrible time. She was diagnosed with hyperkeratosis on her feet several months ago. They look awful and nothing seems to be relieving the pain. She is on 75mg of Tramadol every 8 hours and that just makes her very sleepy, though it does seem to help with the pain for a few hours. We've been soaking them in iodine every day to help but that only seems to provide temporary relief.

Has anyone ever had experience with this? We thought about maybe getting her some kind of booty to help but we're overwhelmed with all of the different options. She spends all day laying under the table and comes in with us in the living room. Tonight, she had a very hard time going up the stairs to our master bedroom (a place she used to love to go to sleep). She's still eating, drinking, and going outside--though she has a lot of trouble moving to the food bowl so we normally just bring it to her under the table. She only goes outside a few times a day and has had trouble with occasional urinary incontinence. She's 10.

Hyperkeratosis can be secondary to some other underlying systemic disease. Has your vet ruled out the possibility of systemic illness such as immune-mediated conditions or liver disease? Are you doing anything else to soften the hyperkeratotic pads? Most vet dermatologists recommend using Kerasolv.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Ruger came to me as a medical foster originally because he'd had what was believed to be an allergic reaction to the concrete floors in the kennel. The allergy and worst of the problems with his feet had already been treated but his pads were still overgrown and cracked. Having read here on GT about Bag Balm, I went out and got some right away and would rub it into his pads every night while he snuggled with me and watched TV. In a couple of weeks, his pads were soft and not nearly so overgrown. You can usually find Bag Balm in Farm and Market stores. I've seen it also in the organic/natural supermarkets here like Whole Foods.

Key to alleviating the pain is getting those pads softened so the cracking and overgrowth can heal. If you are uncertain, do check back with your vet about what to use. When the morning folks come on tomorrow, you will probably get some other ideas and advice as well. Good luck and welcome to Greytalk!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Was going to suggest Kerasolv as well.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest grandmagrey

Hi and thanks for your advice. Akaila has been on fish oil, zinc, vit a, vit e, antibiotics, antifungals, epsom and iodine soaks. No one ever suggested the bag balm or kerasol. She has seen 3 different vets. Systemic disease has been ruled out.

So today i rejoice once again for this forum and the people who care enough to offer their good advice!i couldnt find the kerasol so

I got bag balm yesterday, put it on heavily, covered akaila's feet w a pair of socks from the dollar store that i had cut to fit, and secured them with the stretchy stick to itself sports wrap. She left the socks on for 8 hrs! They slipped off when she walked around the house. When i looked at them, that horrible hard as a rock, cracked, kerratosis had softened! Akaila feels much better now that shes not walking on rocks! And i'm not in tears watching my wonderful, beautiful dog in pain! Thank you thank you thank you all!!!!!!!!!!

Here she is in her socks:

7877370040_bab5c2379c.jpg

Akaila by Kathykaiser, on Flickr

Edited by grandmagrey

Pinky has that because of her lupus. I just rub bag balm into her pads and she wears socks...Sunday is usually her "s'paw" day for that.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Glad to hear that the Bag Balm brought Akaila some relief. I resort to it even for myself when I get the winter flakies. Your girl is beautiful!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Beautiful FURRY baby!!!

on a side note: what vacuum do you use - there isn't one hair on the carpet!!! that happens only in my dreams! :)

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest grandmagrey

Lol at the vac comment! I have a shark navigator. Awesome vac..bagless. i vacuum 3 times a day. Before work in the am, when i get home, and before bed. We have a cocker/golden mix as well as a greyt greyhound. The hair can be extreeeme!