Quality Of Life Question

Guest bernadette

HE was doing zoomies in the house a little while ago and I know I shouldn't let him... but he WANTS to and he has so much fun doing it. Like I said before... it really bothered me this week to leave him at home while I went to see Rocco and his people. This is what I mean about quality of life. Not that I think it's his time, I'm not questioning that at all.

I'll say it again. I am SO thankful for this board and all of its members. Thank you.

It's sounding like you've come to a decision and that's good. You know him best, and I'm glad to hear he's enjoying his zoomies.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

This reminds me of a quote a friend sent me years ago.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather a skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!" - Just substitute chicken feet for chocolate and peanut butter for wine. :flip

That being said, I know it's easier said than done. We want to keep them safe when they are in a delicate condition, but really, life is meant to be lived! Good luck with your decision.

Measure wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money.

Guest LindsaySF
So, as some of you know we Vinnie has been having issues lately- neck pain and back end weakness (a LOT of panting at all hours, amongst other signs of pain). We realize that this problem will not get better, but will progress and we are only controlling his pain and making sure he his happy (which is very much is) and comfortable (also, yes). He is now on Gabapentin, Tramadol and Rimadyl.

Did you ever get a definitive diagnosis on what exactly is causing the pain? Can you do acupuncture, chiro, etc?

His walks are the same, he starts off well (some days better than others) but they all end the same for the most part: slow. Yesterday he even bounded towards a familiar face of a neighbor and her dog, he was happy to see them but very quickly, his walk was slow and it was again obvious that my boy is getting old.

It sounds like he is still happy and still enjoying his walks. He might not be able to go as far, walk as fast, or walk as long, but he is still enjoying them.

I haven't taken Vinnie there since all of this started, we have been restricting his walks and exercise very much so as not to aggravate anything. We went to out friends house yesterday again and it broke my heart to leave Vinnie home. We may have paid a large price for taking him and letting him run, but my heart breaks leaving him in and not being able to play.

I think leaving him home was harder on you than on Vinnie. :) It's safer to leave him home, you don't want him to run and make it worse. The change in routine will be weird for a little while, but he will be okay. Dogs are very adaptable animals.

I have had dogs with problems here (14 year-old Chase, Rogan after his toe amps, broken leg fosters, etc), and they couldn't go on walks with the rest of the pack. They got left home when I brought the other dogs out (left with at least one other dog, not alone), then got a short walk of their own later. It's tough to see their sad little face when they have to wait for the later 'gimp walk', but it's what's best for the dog.

If you think he has an acute neck/back injury that he might recover from somewhat, you really want to rest him for a couple weeks at least. If you think it's more of a chronic thing, then let him do what he wants within reason.

I also agree with this. It depends on the exact nature of his injury/issue. If it's an old age type of issue, a progressive disease, then let him do what he wants within reason, usually they know their limits. But if it's an acute injury like a pinched nerve, something that can be worsened by quick zips in the yard, turning the wrong way, I would rest him. If he ran around like a maniac and hurt himself worse you would never forgive yourself.

~Lindsay~

Guest FullMetalFrank

Now is not the time for bubble wrap; let him do as much as he can and see his friends; just use good judgement. When he's tired, make sure he rests. When Frank was 11, I brought him in the car to one of the youngster's lure practices for a hamburger after, but he could see daddy at the line with one of the girls and he went nutso! He wanted to run, too, even though he had not done a practice for a few years. I got him out and let him run a 75 yard or so sprint. He was happy as a clam. I brought him a few times after that. He had a wonky rear end and I really had to watch how he was feeling but he enjoyed his walkies and rides right up until the end. We lost him at 11.5 to what we think was a stroke. There was no mistaking when it was time.

I agree with you. Let him do what he wants. My beloved Snowman was dx with ostio. He LOVED to run after his ball. I could have not let him and had him longer BUT I threw the ball till one day he tripped & caused hairline fractures in his leg. After that it just swelled and it was just days before it was too painful & he no longer did the 3 things on my list (like Judy's for jilly

I knew it was time to let him go. Good luck. But I think it is ALWAYS good to be prepaired

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

all of my dogs have rallied right before the end, a good hearty spurt of life for nearly a week and then a rapid decline. when i have mentioned this to friends' whose dogs were declining they too noticed the same thing. you will know when the meds are not giving the relief needed, you will know when the pleasure of eating and being pet no longer exists.you will know when the every day simple things that make life worth while just aren't there. it stinks that our faithful companions have much shorter life spans than us humans, but we all know that when we sign up for this enjoyable relationship. :grouphug