Managing Different Energy Levels

So we've been thinking about getting a second dog for awhile. And in my head that second dog has been a greyhound. But I'm looking for more energy and an agility/jogging partner. Couple that with our need for rabbit and cat friendly... well, the search has been a little frustrating especially since we're in Canada where our access to hounds is limited.

Out of the blue a young border collie/lab cross has popped up needing a home. We met her today. She's not perfect obviously but in most ways she is what we wanted. She's young, she's got tonnes of energy, she'd make a great jogging and agility dog, and she seems quite safe with the cat and rabbits. But she needs some training. Which is fine because I love training, but I'm wondering how to deal with this. Training is easy enough with just one dog but how do I do it when I also have Summit? For example, the main issue I'm thinking of is leash training. She does pull and she's going to need some work. Two problems.

1. I don't really want to walk the dogs separately. I definitely don't have time for that in the mornings before work and I'd rather not in the evening either.

2. If I take the dogs together I'm going to have to be constantly stopping, asking her to sit or turning her in circles. I don't want to be doing that to Summit. And if we're stopping all the time we're not going to make it very far so they won't get much exercise. I could just throw a ball for her in the backyard for a little while to wear her down, but Summit likes walks.

Obviously I'd be taking her to classes, particularly for loose leash walking. She has her basic commands already and is pretty good though she needs to work on focus. We'd also be doing lots of agility and I'd like to try fly ball. I'd like to take her jogging as well, but that may have to wait until she has better leash skills because I have no intention of being dragged by a running dog (thank goodness she's little).

All in all she seems like a good fit, and if we didn't have Summit it would be a no brainer because she just needs a little bit of work. I'm just not sure how to manage her with Summit who doesn't have any of the same training issues and who is lower energy. How do those of you with multi breed households manage everyone?

Help!

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Relax! You're over-thinking it. :) Having multiple breeds with different energy levels is much easier than you'd think.

Could you get up a half hour early in the morning and throw the ball for her before you walk both of them? Even if you have to walk them separately, it would only be temporary for training purposes. Eventually you'll get them to the point where they're both walking together and I doubt it'll take long at all. Summit will be her role model.

Part of bringing a high energy dog home is setting aside time to work with her.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

I definitely intend to play fetch with her in the morning prior to trying to walk them. And I think she may have been worse than usual when we met her today just because of the excitement. She listens well over all, she just lacks focus which is to be expected in a 2.5 year old border collie. And most evenings I could take them for a long walk. In fact, I do have a great trail where I could work with her while Summit goes off leash (no flaming please anyone, my dog, my choice :)) in which case I can focus more on her and not worry about all the stopping and starting. Summit is a sniffer so he tends to be slow off leash anyway unless I hurry him.

I may be overthinking... I dunno, but I just don't want to make the wrong choice. Our household is very settled right now, just in the sense that we're all in our routine and know what's going on. I'm very used to Summit and I KNOW that we're very spoiled with him. He is almost the perfect dog. He doesn't counter surf, he doesn't dumpster dive, he doesn't get into anything. From what I've been told about this girl, despite her high energy border collie breeding, she does seem to have an off switch and isn't overly hyper. I don't think today was a perfect demonstration of her true personality because it was a pretty exciting day and foster mom says she didn't take her out prior to coming over to meet us. Also, foster mom told us she has pretty bad asthma and can't do long walks, especially now in the summer, so it would seem that she's not nuts without lots of exercise. I just know that I can't deal with 50 lbs pulling on the end of the leash all the time so we are going to have to work on that. The boyfriend isn't totally sold. He thinks a second is biting off more than I can chew (I moved with all the animals about 3 months ago, he doesn't get to move up to join us for another month probably). I don't think a second dog is too much, I do think that the wrong dog could be problematic though. I just want to make sure we're the right home for this dog because she's been bounced around a bit (through no fault of her own... original owner could no longer afford her, next home sent her back after 3 days when she growled at the 4 year old who pulled her ears).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I have two dogs, Katie the greyhound and Pixie the rat terrier. Katie is a bit of a spook, so my issue is actually getting her to go on walks. Pixie has helped immensely with that, since she LOVES walks! But still, I get into the situation where Pixie wants to stop and sniff, and Katie wants to keep going. Or Pixie is ready to go, and Katie is stating. It's a little frustrating, but I handle it by generally walking them together once a day, for a shorter walk, in areas that I know Katie can handle. Those walks are generally oriented towards motion, with minimal stopping, and Pixie mostly does well, with just an occasional reminder to loosen up on the leash. And then I do a second walk that's just Pixie, so that I can work on introducing her to new surfaces, obstacles, work on obedience, and practice commands and leash walking. It's more work, but it does seem to work out pretty well.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

I had a lower energy dog along with a younger higher energy dog and I never had any difficulty. Actually, I never even thought about HAVING a problem. The only thing we did differently from what you are describing is we BOTH walked the dogs, one each. Which isn't to say that I couldn't walk both, it was just more fun for everyone to walk them as a family. And it is, admittedly, easier. And I never found training one to be an issue in the presence of the other. Good luck -- that's one high energy doggy you are looking at, not something I ever want to do again, LOL!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I often walk and hike with groups of dogs...border collies, retirevers, labs, and my other pup as well as Teague who happily plods along. As long as the weather is cool Teague can easily keep up but the other dogs get more exercise because we throw the chuck-it ball backwards on the trail the whole time so they are constantly running back and forth. Also, if there is a dog that is not tired out I have sometimes taken them out for a sprint on the bike when I get home (assuming they are trained)...10 min. or so at a fast run usually does it. I am lucky enough to have access to nature trails all over around which makes this a lot easier.

Another suggestion is you can put a backpack with some weight in it if you discover that she doesn't tire out. Hopefully this pup won't be too high energy once she settles in, a lot of the time they are crazy coming out of a shelter or rescue due to weeks of pent up energy. It sounds like all of the stuff (jogging, agility, flyball) you want to do would be perfect for a border collie, especially once she settles in :)

The only thing we did differently from what you are describing is we BOTH walked the dogs, one each.

Yeah, my BF has never been a walker. He loves all our animals but I'm pretty sure if we weren't together he would still have no pets right now. He's just not really into caring for them all. Which is fine. All the animals except the dog are mine from before the relationship began anyway, and I kind of like being the sole caretaker. If we were to go out for a "fun walk" or take the dogs somewhere he would definitely walk one. In fact, it's annoying only having one dog because when we go places he wants to walk Summit, but I don't want to give him up. If we had two I could give him the easier one to walk.

I worry too that with the extra time I'd have to put into the border collie that Summit would feel left out or second fiddle.

I know, I'm an over thinker.

Like us on Facebook!

We have a mixed energy level household. We have high energy Ibizans, mid-low energy Greyhounds and a Galgo, and a very senior Dalmatian in heart failure. The secret is mentally and physically tiring out the high energy dogs. Extra training, maybe a backpack with some weight on walks with the higher energy dog (with vet's approval), and you might have to invest extra time to leash train the new dog. Once it is reliable on leash you should be able to walk them together. :) Honestly, the dogs take cues from each other here. Inside the Beezers are lower-key, like the others. But outside the Greys and Galgo are a lot more active and play more. I love it! :)

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Additional training in the house will carry over into your walks. Some fun tricks for your high energy pup will help with focus and in turn help with your walking. Also putting your dog in a down-stay, for say the length of a commercial on TV, followed by a couple of "twists" and "turns" with a treat at the end is greyt. Mix it up. Good luck and have fun!

june

Both these points have been mentioned by others, but I want to highlight them: 1. You might need to walk the BC-mix separately until she has some leash manners, but it's temporary, and 2. Mental exercise (training) is a great way to tire out a high energy dog; if you just use physical exercise, the dog gets fitter and harder to tire out.

I walk a mixed group three times / day without issue. Minnie needs to do more than the others--even at 13 1/2 she's a going concern--so I throw the ball for her while the others hang out in the yard.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

if you just use physical exercise, the dog gets fitter and harder to tire out.

OMG! DUH! I'm an athlete myself and somehow this never occurred to me. Gosh, I'm so smart sometimes. I would of course be giving her mental stimulation in the form of obedience training. I also have tonnes of treat dispensing toys and have always wanted to get one of those puzzle toys but no way Summit would have worked that hard at it (or maybe he's just not smart enough... shhhh!). I tried nose work with Summit which he wasn't so good at but I think he enjoys it anyway.

Also thinking I could get a Halti to use as a training aid to work on her leash manners, at least in the beginning until we make some head way, then we can lose the Halti and continue working.

Like us on Facebook!

Yes, you're overthinking. ;) Which is exactly what I do so I get it. Owner of 2 greyhounds and a 10 mo mixed breed here. :wave Don't get a halti, get an easy walk harness. It has a martingale type loop in the front of the chest, where the leash hooks. Much gentler than a halti (and safer imo, I won't use haltis anymore) and get started on the clicker training immediately. Having her already tired before you head out for the walk will also make a huge difference.

You are going to likely do some leash walks with just her, but I've managed pretty successfully to train Skye without having done that. She's not perfect, but generally she doesn't pull with the harness, will come when I call her, and knows to get on ky right side (other dogs are on my left) when I call her. What I'm finding is we actually need to focus more on leave it and her prey drive rather than loose leash walking because those are the times she tunes me out.

Do it. I think you will really enjoy having a "working" dog and I bet she picks up stuff so quickly that its not as tough as you think. That's certainly been my experience with Skye and she's no border collie. ;)

Oh, I do take her and Violet to the dog park once or twice a week to let them run hard, which Zuri can't do anymore and every Tuesday night she gets a 2 hr playdate with my friend's dog while I go to the gym. Finding some outlets like that for her will probably be necessary, or at least a good idea. :)

ETA: Easy walk harness

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Also thinking I could get a Halti to use as a training aid to work on her leash manners, at least in the beginning until we make some head way, then we can lose the Halti and continue working.

I walk Minnie in a Gentle Leader. Her leash respect is good when she's alone, not so good when in a group of four--and it's virtually impossible to fix it then.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

The boyfriend is trying to veto me. Sometimes he confuses me. He loves Summit but has always said that we should also get a "real" dog.... He means it in the most loving way possible. Just that greyhounds are a little odd sometimes. Like how Summit backs away from the fridge door when it slowly keeps opening, or when you pass something over top of his head, and so on. But I had said I wanted a second greyhound. I started putting out feelers for said second greyhound in May, had a few pop up as possibilities but all fell through ultimately (one because in her foster home she started displaying aggression towards the other dogs in the pack, another we simply couldn't get into foster care, etc. etc.). Now, I find a great "real dog" instead and suddenly BF isn't sure it's a good time to get a second dog, doesn't know if we can handle it, etc. So I ask him why he let me look for a greyhound starting in May, and he says he was okay with a second greyhound but he doesn't think we should get a non-grey. Huh? Says we know what to expect with another greyhound. I pointed out that I was not looking for a second greyhound like the one we already have... I was looking for a super high energy one, so I don't see much difference between that and a border collie ultimately.

I have no idea where he's coming from. Very confused, but we can't go ahead if we're not both on board. Foster mom says she has someone else wanting to meet Stella, so hopefully she'll find a home soon. I could just slap the BF silly right now. Men. :POed

Like us on Facebook!

I was looking for a super high energy one, so I don't see much difference between that and a border collie ultimately.

Not to be a wet blanket, but there is a HUGE difference between a super high energy Greyhound and a Border Collie. I have super, crazy high energy Greyhound (she keeps up with high energy Ibizan Hounds all day long and can run forever lure coursing...she's a mutant) and she's so much easier to wear out mentally and physically than a typical Border Collie. The BC show lines are more diluted but working bred dogs are intense. A close friend of mine has BCs and she calls my house a vacation home because even my super high energy Grey and my Beezers and Galgo are a cake walk compared to her 2 BCs (she does agility, herding, and other jobs with them) and other dogs.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

I was looking for a super high energy one, so I don't see much difference between that and a border collie ultimately.

Not to be a wet blanket, but there is a HUGE difference between a super high energy Greyhound and a Border Collie. I have super, crazy high energy Greyhound (she keeps up with high energy Ibizan Hounds all day long and can run forever lure coursing...she's a mutant) and she's so much easier to wear out mentally and physically than a typical Border Collie. The BC show lines are more diluted but working bred dogs are intense. A close friend of mine has BCs and she calls my house a vacation home because even my super high energy Grey and my Beezers and Galgo are a cake walk compared to her 2 BCs (she does agility, herding, and other jobs with them) and other dogs.

I didn't actually mean there's no difference between a border collie and an agility greyhound. But as far as my boyfriend is concerned it really is. When he's thinking of a second greyhound he's thinking it's going to be two of them laying around instead of just one. Half an hour walk twice a day like I'm already doing. My point is just that this lab border collie versus a high energy hound is still going to be more work than just having two of Summit. This dog isn't a pure border collie either. I wouldn't entertain that idea. The BC is thankfully mellowed out by the lab. Foster mom reports she actually has an off switch at home. I think the BF is just freaking because he has never lived with anything other than a greyhound. I thought he'd want us to take her on a trial basis for a week or two and then decide, but he's all of a sudden saying we can't handle two dogs. It's usually my job to be the over thinker and over reactor (hence this thread wondering how I'm going to manage both of them) so I'm surprised that he's done a 180 on me. Even after acknowledging that this seems like the kind of dog I've been looking for in order to have a jogging partner and agility/flyball dog.

Anyway, this is becoming more of a rant about my BF confusing the heck out of me. I'm going to keep that harness in mind for whenever BF decides we can handle a non-grey. Sometimes I miss being single. :blush

Like us on Facebook!

Guest HoundWorks

Don't worry too much or over think it. I would give your BF some time to think it over some more. It is a big decision to bring in a second dog especially one that will be high energy because it is a change in lifestyle in many ways. I would say just keep talking about it and see what his worries are. From my experience I think men tend to rough-house with dogs more which is why they are drawn to higher energy dogs. While my BF absolutely adores our greyhound he is very happy having a dog to play frisbee, jog, jump rocks, and just tumble around with. All the activities our greyhound has no interest in. I would think up a good list of positives and also some of the negatives and how you can deal with them.

We have a high energy whippet and a laid back greyhound. I was very worried at first about how they would be around each other and we did have some warning growls from them both and space issues at first, but after just a few months they have settled in very nicely. They truly seem to enjoy each others company. I am so glad that we got our second dog, but I was a bit worried as we got closer due to all the things that could go wrong introducing a second dog, the financial aspects and behavioral issues. It is a lot to think about.

1. I feel for both you and your BF -- I'm constantly torn between forging ahead and second thoughts. I love Nutmeg and Romie to pieces, but our life was getting just a tad bit (lean in close here -- I'll have to whisper this) boring. What I said to a doubting friend (admittedly not as important in status as your BF) when I was considering adopting dog #3 was that sometimes I just had to go ahead and do something to change up my life, even if on paper it didn't look like a smart idea. That argument seemed to sway her.

2. I think walking two dogs is easy. The main leash training Milo needed was how to walk in a group, so that had to be together. The only thing I separate them for now (six months post-Milo) is playing with the lure pole. Milo and Romie get too intense.

3. For future possibilities -- might you consider a greyhound mix as a kind of compromise? Milo, dog #3, is a greyhound crossed with probably some sort of huntin' dawg. He is young and fairly high energy yet has some sighthound characteristics.

4. For mental and physical tiring out, never underestimate the power of a good, long chew. :)

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

While my BF absolutely adores our greyhound he is very happy having a dog to play frisbee, jog, jump rocks, and just tumble around with. All the activities our greyhound has no interest in. I would think up a good list of positives and also some of the negatives and how you can deal with them.

Unfortunately this is exactly why I want a higher energy dog. I want a dog to play ball with, to go jogging with me, to go on long hikes with me. My boyfriend is the total opposite of me when it comes to exercise. How he maintains his great body is beyond me. He likes a dog that cuddles and Summit is not much for cuddling... apparently Stella is though... so that would be a definite plus for the BF.

The main negative is her high energy, and he knows I want to jog with her and do agility/flyball. I thought that was addressing the issue, but I think now he thinks I'll be overexerting myself. Which is a fair concern but I don't know how to calm that fear.

1. I feel for both you and your BF -- I'm constantly torn between forging ahead and second thoughts.

3. For future possibilities -- might you consider a greyhound mix as a kind of compromise? Milo, dog #3, is a greyhound crossed with probably some sort of huntin' dawg. He is young and fairly high energy yet has some sighthound characteristics.

That is exactly how I am. I am torn between doing it and not doing it. I think "yeah, it's a good idea, we should do it" and then the second thoughts come. Then I think "no, it's a better idea not to... don't mess with a good thing" and then the second thoughts come. I'm terrible for second thoughts. :P

I would love a greyhound cross. Finding one up here is about as hard as finding a high energy greyhound. We just don't have any. :( I could certainly start stalking petfinder more frequently though. There were a couple that people had posted about here on GT over the last 6 months. In each case when I inquired they either wouldn't adopt across the border or they were high prey. But a low prey lurcher must exist somewhere.

Like us on Facebook!

Have you thought about contacting one of the lurcher organizations in the states and see if they will do an adoption out of country?

I had thought of casually but until recently I really was thinking just about finding a greyhound. I've had the best agility folk in the greyhound world searching for 4 months and haven't been able to turn up any real possibilities. A lot of the trouble is how far away we are. I need the group to be 100% sure the dog fits my needs which are tough. Finding an individual among a breed bred for hunting that is both high drive and low prey is not easy and I need both to be well tested. The distance is troublesome. I certainly would have considered it but this BC came up.

In other news the BF says I can take her for a 2 week trial. If she doesn't work out she goes back, otherwise we have a new pack member. We'll see how things go. Hopefully she continues ignoring the fluffy critters.

Like us on Facebook!

In other news the BF says I can take her for a 2 week trial. If she doesn't work out she goes back, otherwise we have a new pack member. We'll see how things go. Hopefully she continues ignoring the fluffy critters.

:yay Hope it goes well! :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Me too! There's a disc dog/dog diving demo at a doggie event (Newbarket in Newmarket... ha ha, clever :)) near us the second weekend we have her, so I'm going to take both the dogs for a day of fun, and also a day of recon of activities for Stella. I think disc would be fun but I have reservations because I play ultimate frisbee and the crazy dogs on the sideline barking and lunging at the disc during play are super annoying. Not sure I want her to be one of those since she'll be coming with me. Dock diving would be fun though.

Also, I had clients in today who have a rat terrier, a border collie, and a sheltie who all do flyball. The BC and sheltie just came home from a competition where their team placed first. They drive a fair ways for their team so I said maybe we could start our own team with their 3 and Stella. They said they'd keep me posted as well as there is a new flyball club possibly starting up locally. :)

Like us on Facebook!