Greyhounds And Young Children.

Guest Amba1027

Guest bluefiggie

I adopted my first grey ( Lola) from the local humane society. They had no age requirements for children however the place I got my second grey from has the age requirement of 7 years and up. When It was just Lola and I we hosted a birthday party with about 20 people in a very, VERY small house. Lola laid in the middle of the living room and my three year old nephew was running through the house and accidently kicked her in the jaw. It was purely an accident and she was half asleep, she merely lifted her head looked around and laid back down. Most dogs are not quite as laid back as Lola but my point is that it can absolutely be done. My Starling also did great with kids but she would typically leave the room if there was too much activity for her.

If the child is taught to respect the dog and the dogs space then I suspect the biggest problem would be the risk of the dog knocking over the child while playing. I also use crates and don't allow any one other than me and the dogs in them. This gives the dogs ( I also foster) their own personal space that they can go to when overwhelmed. Maybe you could foster a grey first to see how the dog and child get along before adopting.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it couldn't have happened better than it did. She wasn't severely hurt, never once cried, and needed 4 stitches.

How refreshing to hear from a family with a realistic outlook about an interaction like this.

I agree. I was from the generation that if the pet retaliated (vocally or otherwise) my parents immediately were on the case with, "What did you do to the dog?!" I am raising my son the same way.

Where I used to work, I had a coworker that was whining about how she was afraid of their dog and considering putting an ad on CL because he constantly growls at her daughter. I asked why was he afraid. "Well, she doesn't mean to hurt him, she's just clumsy I guess. He really should get used to it."

:blink: um.. really?

Before I could formulate an answer, another coworker piped up, "So your kid is hurting the dog, that hasn't bitten back yet, and you're putting an ad up on CL?"

(Yes was the answer)

"For the dog or the kid?"

Actually, it couldn't have happened better than it did. She wasn't severely hurt, never once cried, and needed 4 stitches.

How refreshing to hear from a family with a realistic outlook about an interaction like this.

I agree. I was from the generation that if the pet retaliated (vocally or otherwise) my parents immediately were on the case with, "What did you do to the dog?!" I am raising my son the same way.

Where I used to work, I had a coworker that was whining about how she was afraid of their dog and considering putting an ad on CL because he constantly growls at her daughter. I asked why was he afraid. "Well, she doesn't mean to hurt him, she's just clumsy I guess. He really should get used to it."

:blink: um.. really?

Before I could formulate an answer, another coworker piped up, "So your kid is hurting the dog, that hasn't bitten back yet, and you're putting an ad up on CL?"

(Yes was the answer)

"For the dog or the kid?"

Yep, this was the rule in my house--if you got bitten, that was your own darn fault. We've all grown up into dog people.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Eyeblaura

We adopted our first greyhound almost a year ago. We had an 18 month old and a 4 1/2 year old. The 4 year old has been raised with a dog since birth she is very respectful and gentle with animals so she was pretty easy and no big issues. The now 2 1/2 year old was tough. We had to be and still are ever vigilant. That being said Enzo is amazing, no aggression issues of any kind. He has barked at the 2 year old a handful of times when ahe has accidently tripped over him and she pulled his tail once. Both times he let her know he didn't like it and we were fortunate he didn't bite because any dog could have. He isn't timid or scared around the kids and noise and if they get to be to much he goes upstairs.

House training. He hasn't had a single accident and we ditched the crate after about a week. He has been the easiest dog we've ever had.