Need Immediate Advice - Violet Gorged On Treats

I came home to discover that Violet had pulled a box off of the table that had a ton of treats. It looks like she ate about 1/3-1/2 lb of dehydrated lamb lung along iwth an entire rawhide retriever roll. I don't know which she ate first as she was just starting in on the next bag of treats when I walked in, but I suspect maybe she had the rawhide first. :dunno

I am a little concerned about pancreatitis, and I'm certain we're going to be faced with the big D. I'm wondering if I should make her throw up. I'm a little bit concerned about that because of the rawhide though.

If I do it, does anyone know how long it takes for the hydrogen peroxide to kick in? We're in a 3rd floor condo so I'm going to need to take her outside on lead.

She seems to be feeling reasonably okay. She gulped down water when I got home, and then again after we came in from a potty walk where she peed a couple of times. Her belly is clearly nice and full and she's walking a little awkwardly, but she's playing with Skye right now so she's clearly not feeling all that bad. :P

Anyway, someone please tell me she's going to be fine so I can go back to being pissed at her. :P

BTW, also going to call the evet and research fat content of lamb lung (I have no idea what that amount dehydrated amounts to rehydrated, does anyone), but wanted to ask here as well in the meantime. Tx!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Celeste recently ate a 24oz jar of Thinkers Chicken Sticks. Bonny probably helped a little, but we had a feeling Celeste got the majority of them. We didn't make her vomit or give her anything. She had the Big D for a few days, but that was the worst of it.

Hoping Violet is OK!

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Peroxide worked immediately when I had to use it once. I had just enough time to get the dog out the door. I'm not sure I would do anything except not give her any dinner.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Jen....I would let it work its way out....unfortunately that may be in the middle of night...:(

Rascal, my first greyhound, ate everything and anything. He had a strong gut and everything came out okay.

Interested what the ER vet thinks...

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Talked to the receptionist at the emergency vet, who did speak with a vet for me. They said not to induce vomiting since we don't know how long ago she consumed the treats, and because she also ate the rawhide, just to keep an eye on her for signs of pancreatitis. Still trying to figure out the dehyrated to hydrated conversion, but I was able to find the nutritional value of 1 lb of lamb lung and it's only about 12g of fat, so I think we're probably okay on the pancreatitis front :goodluck, we'll just be dealing with trips out during the night.

Who knows, maybe she won't even get diarrhea - tonight she was supposed to get 1 lb of raw tripe for dinner and at the last minute I decided not to feed them until Skye and I got back from obedience so she hasn't had it. Clearly I won't give it to her, but since she was going to get a bunch of rich meat anyway, maybe this will pass relatively easily. Wishful thinking, right? The worst part is I am supposed to leave town tomorrow evening and drop her off with another adopter from my group who is watching her for the wkd. :unsure

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Fingers crossed that she is just fine....:goodluck

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Okay, someone help me with my math. According to this site, 100 g of lamb lung has 79.7g of water, so it's approximately 80% water. So if you removed all of the water, the dehydrated lung would be about 20% of the original lung's weight, right? So 2.5 lbs would dehydrate to about 1/2 a lb (20% of 2.5 is .5). At just under 12g of fat per lb, that means Violet had about 29g of fat. Considering that she gets more than that in some of her raw meals, I don't think I need to worry too too much, right? :hope

Put down the calculator, close the vet md websites, drink some wine, stop over thinking it and have extra poop bags at the ready.

Edited by snowjay

Put down the calculator, close the vet md websites, drink some wine, stop over thinking it and have extra poop bags at the ready.

Thanks. This is exactly what I need to do. Was having a rough night anyway, have not had dinner (have stuff to cook but I don't see that happening) - think it's time to throw in the towel, order food and open a bottle of wine.

emily ate an entire large jar of nutro suppliment- loose poops

a full box of trader joe's choco cat cookies- loose chocolate poops

dragged a 30# bag of nature's recipe venison out of the closet opened it and binged- she must have consumed over 5#s- big belly, lots of farts

opened the feeder/storage station- binged(got rid of that)- loose poops

they do survive

my friend's grey pup ate a month's worth of her kid's school snacks (cookies, chips, boxes and boxes of snacks)after a major trip to costco-he had the runs all over the place for the next couple of days, needless to say he's crated now and has lost his freedom

my borzoi ate a 5#bag of peanuts- but had the sense to shell them and every chocolate foil wrapped orniment of the christmas tree(5#s of chocolate)- she lived to 14~

if violet seems distressed besides the gas, you will act upon it immediatly. lite food- for the next couple of days.

I know right?! You'd think the woman hasn't been around greyhounds for over 10 years! :lol

Love you, Jen. We shall call her Violet -made-of-diamonds if you go poo free tonight.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Have puppy pads handy in case Violet doesn't give you enough warning to negotiate all those stairs. You're going to want something to shove under her back end on short notice.

Paper plates work well, too.

Oh, and dogs can have Gas-X. That might help both of you.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thanks. This is exactly what I need to do. Was having a rough night anyway, have not had dinner (have stuff to cook but I don't see that happening) - think it's time to throw in the towel, order food and open a bottle of wine.

Don't mention it. ;)

Hope your night gets better. When I need something quick to eat I grab a bowl of cereal, although I'm not sure that would go good with wine. :lol

Puh-lease. This would be an appetizer for a health kick for Bootsy. She will be fine. Totally fine. I promise. You are a great mom for worrying. :kiss2

I can't believe there is a website dedicated to the water content of lamb lung

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

emily ate an entire large jar of nutro suppliment- loose poops

a full box of trader joe's choco cat cookies- loose chocolate poops

dragged a 30# bag of nature's recipe venison out of the closet opened it and binged- she must have consumed over 5#s- big belly, lots of farts

opened the feeder/storage station- binged(got rid of that)- loose poops

they do survive

my friend's grey pup ate a month's worth of her kid's school snacks (cookies, chips, boxes and boxes of snacks)after a major trip to costco-he had the runs all over the place for the next couple of days, needless to say he's crated now and has lost his freedom

my borzoi ate a 5#bag of peanuts- but had the sense to shell them and every chocolate foil wrapped orniment of the christmas tree(5#s of chocolate)- she lived to 14~

if violet seems distressed besides the gas, you will act upon it immediatly. lite food- for the next couple of days.

Remind me never to place a dog with you. :lol I kid, thank you for making me feel a bit better about her chances of survival. ;)

I know right?! You'd think the woman hasn't been around greyhounds for over 10 years! :lol

Love you, Jen. We shall call her Violet -made-of-diamonds if you go poo free tonight.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. <_<:P

Have puppy pads handy in case Violet doesn't give you enough warning to negotiate all those stairs. You're going to want something to shove under her back end on short notice.

Paper plates work well, too.

Oh, and dogs can have Gas-X. That might help both of you.

Great suggestion on the plate/pee pad, thanks!

Don't mention it. ;)

Hope your night gets better. When I need something quick to eat I grab a bowl of cereal, although I'm not sure that would go good with wine. :lol

I remember I had a half a head of romaine left so I whipped together a quick salad. Caesar salad and cabernet, much better than I would have expected. :lol At least now I won't have the added guilt of having Domino's on top of everything else. Although I suspect salad does not soak up the wine as well, which may be why I'm getting so quote happy. :lol

Puh-lease. This would be an appetizer for a health kick for Bootsy. She will be fine. Totally fine. I promise. You are a great mom for worrying. :kiss2

I can't believe there is a website dedicated to the water content of lamb lung

:P There are websites where you can look up the nutritional info for all foods nutjob. :lol It's how those of us who like to obsess about meeting our dogs nutritional needs on a raw diet calculate what they're eating, unlike those who just feed chicken quarters. ;)

God lord, take the quote feature away from me. I'm out of control! :ph34r:lol

:P There are websites where you can look up the nutritional info for all foods nutjob. :lol It's how those of us who like to obsess about meeting our dogs nutritional needs on a raw diet calculate what they're eating, unlike those who just feed chicken quarters. ;)

When I discussed a special diet for Sam (when he was having stomach trouble), the vet said to give Sam whatever I thought would be good--and give him a Flintstones Chewable.

So much for nutritional studies...

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

When I discussed a special diet for Sam (when he was having stomach trouble), the vet said to give Sam whatever I thought would be good--and give him a Flintstones Chewable.

So much for nutritional studies...

:lol

Yeah--the only caution from the vet was to be sure the chewable I bought didn't have xylitol.

I've also given the dogs chewable, fruit-flavored fiber tablets. Unlike most fiber supplements, the tablets didn't require consumption of 8 ounces of water.

I might need to find those. I am currently taking Citrucel for stomach issues and there is a warning about choking if you don't drink a glass of water. :blink:

In case anyone is wondering, so far Violet does not appear distressed. :P

IMAG1550.jpg

Made of diamonds :)

and touche on the chicken quarters ;;

I think its too early to make that declaration. And ;).

We made it through the night! :clap In fact, when I woke up at 6:30 she was on her bed in a full on roach and didn't budge as I climbed over her to get to the bathroom. :P

Still drinking a good bit of water, and I think she's still probably uncomfortable as she was panting a good bit on and right after our potty walk, but she's resting now. She did have liquid stool, but it was just one normal controlled bowel movement a few blocks into our walk, no sense of urgency.

I'm staying home today to keep and eye on her, but I'm hopeful we continue on this path. :goodluck