Phenobarb= Whiny? Update Post 1

Anyone giving phenobarb notice their pup is more whiny on it?

OMG- Passion is horrible with the whining. I don't know what she wants.

Before she only whined outside of the house, now it's all the time. I'm pretty sure she's annoying the other dogs too :lol

========================================================

Passion was waking me up in the middle of the night, whining.

I talked to my vet last Sunday about giving Melatonin. I've given her 3mg the last 4 nights and she hasn't woken me up at all.

Course, now I'm used to waking up so I'm still waking up :rofl

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

You know Saint was always quite the talker, he didn't while he talked all the time so I guess I never really noticed. Unlike Passion though, he slept through the night every night unless he had to go to the bathroom and then it was a loud bark that would wake me up.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

You know Saint was always quite the talker, he didn't while he talked all the time so I guess I never really noticed. Unlike Passion though, he slept through the night every night unless he had to go to the bathroom and then it was a loud bark that would wake me up.

Passion is so busy talking that she's not sleeping at night

:rofl

I did pick up a bag of the kibble she used to eat. I'm going to start feeding that to her again to see if that helps with the during the night whining. Last resort, she will sleep downstairs. Which I really don't want to do but I need to sleep.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

:(

Rainey became a HUGE whiner, it got worse and worse as she got worse and worse :( in fact, she started whining in like May of 2010 and it only increased as time went on (her first seizure, that we know of, was 8/17/10). It got worse especially after we put her on the pheno (which is one reason we took her off after only 5 days and tried other meds) and got worse again after putting her on it on 12/31/10. I told the doctor I thought the pheno was causing it, and he said that no, it was the underlying condition in her brain that was causing it and the pheno just exasperated it. :(

I'm really starting to worry about your Passion, Kari :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I talked to my vet about changing her to zonisamide and he said I can.

He suggested adding pepsid so I'm trying that for a few weeks before deciding about the zonisamide. I hate to change it since she hasn't had a seizure since June 26th which is when she started the phenobarb.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I talked to my vet about changing her to zonisamide and he said I can.

He suggested adding pepsid so I'm trying that for a few weeks before deciding about the zonisamide. I hate to change it since she hasn't had a seizure since June 26th which is when she started the phenobarb.

with Rainey, we had to wean her off the pheno for like 10 days (she was on 60mg 2 x day) even though she was only on it for 5 days at that point.

Rainey had "weird" episodes on the zonisamide/keppra she was on. Again, the neuro didn't think it was from the pills but from what was going on, but they always happened when we made a med adjustment. I can't remember but I think it was the keppra that made her really wobbly for the first couple days.

You may want to see if she gets better before switching, like I had said before, the pheno seemed to be the only thing that really stopped the seizures. When we put her back on it on 12/31/10, she did not have another for 3 months (and she was having between 3-8 per week) and only started having them when we tried to wean her off the zonisamide :(

sending you and your girl many hugs, Kari :grouphug:(

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Kim- I am going to wait to see if the pepcid helps. And I don't want to change it if she might start having seizures again. She can have both the phenobarb and zonisamide but we did not talk about me changing anything yet.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Why did she go on Pheno? seizures? If so, did you go to a neurologist or was it the regular vet that prescribed the pheno? It's tough changing the meds once the dog is on them and as others mentioned, more chance to have more seizures while you are decreasing one and increasing another.

Sometimes the pheno makes them more hungry so you might want to up the fiber in the meal so that she feels fuller - maybe add cooked green beans. Also, give something before she goes to bed.

Why did she go on Pheno? seizures? If so, did you go to a neurologist or was it the regular vet that prescribed the pheno? It's tough changing the meds once the dog is on them and as others mentioned, more chance to have more seizures while you are decreasing one and increasing another.

Sometimes the pheno makes them more hungry so you might want to up the fiber in the meal so that she feels fuller - maybe add cooked green beans. Also, give something before she goes to bed.

Yes seizures. My greyhound vet did the script but I've also consulted with a neuro vet and she goes to a holistic vet.

I feed her right before bed so she shouldn't be hungry.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest LindsaySF

The Pheno usually makes them whiny because they are hungry. The hunger pains some Pheno dogs have is truly unreal. For Sophie, I just feed her until she stops crying. Sometimes that involves 2-3 cans of food a day. :rolleyes: She's still a healthy weight.

I would add some snacks between meals, and I bet Wonder will be less whiny. Also, sometimes it takes them a while to 'realize' they are full, so I try to keep Sophie's snacks pretty frequent, so she never feels super hungry. Good luck.

She refused green beans last night. My vet said it's ok if she gets chunky (I'm not ok with that) so I'm feeding her more often but not more kibble.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Try giving some oatmeal - It's a heavy food and it might make her feel fuller. You could also try potatoes ...

Try some roasted carrots and she if she likes that.

She doesn't like people food. I've tried stuff before.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest LindsaySF

I tried green beans before for Sophie and it worked for a while but then she stopped eating them. She would eat stuff like corn for a while too (it goes right through them) but then didn't like that anymore either. Now she really only likes dog food and treats, or cooked meats. How active is Passion? You could feed her more kibble and if you keep her active enough she won't gain any weight. I don't know how Sophie isn't 100 lbs but somehow she works it off. Sometimes just splitting the existing amount of food into smaller meals will do the trick though, spacing it out so the tummy is always full.

She hasn't run around the yard since this all started in May. When it isn't hot, I take her to the lake to walk and that's 3 miles.

She's not as active as she was a year ago but she's almost 10.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

• 2 weeks later...

Check the label: I think you can take melatonin, too.

Congratulations on having a sleeping dog. ;)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Check the label: I think you can take melatonin, too.

Congratulations on having a sleeping dog. ;)

I have the 5mg pills for myself :)

I'm still waking up around 4am

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17