Bella Is Brown...

Yup, another coat question. No matter how much salmon oil, sardines, tuna I feed, Bella's coat is always dandruffy and has more of a brown tint to it. I brush once a week, should I be brushing more? Bella is on Blue Buffalo and doing well, except she still looks like she's fresh off the track, coat wise. Thoughts?

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Is she out in the sun a lot? If it bleaches human hair, why not dog fur? I switched my dogs to Iceland Pure fish oil, either the sardine and anchovy or the salmon - wow, it has made a big difference in their fur. Bunny soft and like patent leather shiny without me doing a thing to it. They still get flakes from time to time, but the coat is fantastic. It also seems to have done a lot for Carl's baldness. He has been off melatonin for 3 weeks now and, knocking on wood, he's not shedding it where it built up.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I use an oatmeal shampoo...but I heard not to wash her too much, I do once every 3ish months, should I do more?

She doesn't sunbathe...at all, just walkies if it's not too hot out. Maybe since it's been so sunny here she's turned brown?

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Both my two black hounds get a reddish cast, especially Carl, by the end of summer as they wait for their winter coat to come in. It doesn't happen when they blow their winter coat, so my money is on sun bleached (sun kissed) hounds!

ETA

Normally they go for a walk in the morning, but not lately as it has been too hot. They also like to lay in the sun for 10 - 20 min at a time when it's hot out. Enough to bleach them over time I'm guessing.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Maggie - our two black hounds have different coats, but eat the same (raw) diet, are littermates, and otherwise have the same living conditions (neither get bathed, though). Squirt's has a slight brown tinge to it and is not as soft as Omie's, either. His is jet black and shiny. Her's is healthy, but a bit more matte, if you will. Neither have dandruff, though. All that to say, perhaps the brown is just part of Bella's coat? Look at Minerva - here's isn't jet black, either. And no matter what, Miss Bella is one gorgeous houndie!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I doubt it will do anything to stop the formation of dandruff, but brushing more often would, I think, at least make it less noticeable on her body. I brush Annie Bella thoroughly once a day and she gets hand brushing on our walks where the fur just goes flying off her butt.

Guest lanielovesgreys

It almost sounds like she's not getting the nutrients into her system. If it were my dogs, I think I'd get a fecal test to rule out some kind of internal parasite.

Desi is not that sleek glossy black, either, never has been no matter what. Fish oil makes him very very soft, but he's still what I call "ashy."

Now that his grey is spreading everywhere; butt, legs, neck, etc., it doesn't bother me anymore, cause I don't notice it as much.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Bella looks pretty good to me. Maybe brushing her daily for a while would help.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Yup. Maci too. No clue why.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Jaynie has the best skin and coat I've ever had in a dog. She gets a one-egg omelet every day cooked in organic coconut oil. She also gets omega oil supplements but I think it's the omelet that does it.

I should add that I don't know if that would be good for all dogs, but it sure seems to work for her. She's a cowdoggie but the black parts are shiny black and her sensitive skin is fine.

Hope you find something that works for your Bella.