Fences

Guest ashphobiax

Guest ashphobiax

what fences are good for greys?

i give horse riding lessons and they have a 2 acre fenced in yard and they told me i am more than welcome to bring glider over and let him run, im just worried he will slip through this is what the fence looks like:

534236_243746769073981_515944526_n.jpg

thoughts?

Edited by ashphobiax

That fence would make me a bit nervous. How high is it? How much space between the ground and the first bar and between the others? I've heard it said a determined grey will not be deterred by 6 or even 7 foot fences. The gate is also an issue. Gates often have bigger spaced horizontal bars that a dog could squeeze through.

Hard to tell how tall that fence is. Any barbed wire?

Walk the perimeter and check for any weak spots, missing planks, open gates.

Horizontal slats could give a boost up on jumping over.

Walk Glider around and see how he reacts. Plenty of horse poop to roll in. :P

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest ashphobiax

its a 5ft fence and its quite tight in between the spaces in the fence.

i dropped something on one side and had a hard time even sticking my arm through to get the thing i dropped, its also a vinyl fence so its a little safer than wood.

there small pony is an escape artist and hasnt even been able to get out of this place.

no wires or anything that could really hurt him.

glider also isnt a jumper

Edited by ashphobiax

Guest ashphobiax

glider is pretty mellow. doesnt jump but he does have a prey drive. i just dont think he would be able to fit and get his legs though the as well as his body. but i wanted to get thoughts on putting him in there maybe ill get better measurements of the gaps.

i mean i had a hard time reaching through the posts and im 5'6 average weight and size.

If i couldn't barely get my arm through the fence, I would be comfortable.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

My three would be fine in there....a section of our fence is 4' chain link and we've never had any of them try and get over it.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'd be comfy with a 5' fence which only has arm-sized gaps between the horizontal boards. But only if the bottom board is also close to the ground and the gate fits securely into its opening. Summer is an escape artist and it doesn't take much. Anything "loose", like a gate held shut with a chain, which thus can open wider if leaned on, can be secured with a bungee cord.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

If he's not a jumper and the spacing of the slats (including the space between the bottom rail and the ground) is narrow enough that your arm has trouble squeezing through, it's probably OK. Make double sure that the gate is securely latched and that someone doesn't come along and open it while he's playing.

In her younger days Raven was nicknamed the Rubber Dog because of her ability to escape from nearly anything so I can certainly understand the concern. :lol If you don't feel comfortable with it, don't take the chance. None of us are actually there to see the fence and photos can be deceptive.

P.S. Many dogs will eat happily eat horse poop. This can be a problem for many reasons. You are probably already well aware of that but just in case....

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest ashphobiax

thanks everyone, im going to walk it and make sure its safe ill also get some measurements of the gaps and let you all know, so please check back!

Wow, I would looooove to have 2 acres fenced like that. Personally, I take Teague to run in a fenced area that has bigger spaces then the fence you have showed. He has no desire at all to try to get out, I find that he pretty much respects fences and has no thought of trying to escape. If it is a large area it helps to walk them around the perimeter first so they know the boundaries. Of course you have to judge your own dog as some seem to be bigger jumpers than others.

This is the fence we run in most days (the gaps are not AS big as they look it is just the front is closer to the camera).

S7302978.jpg

Edited by RedHead

Guest kahjul

Niether of my girls would have any problems with that fence. They don't jump and seems to respect any kind of boundary line. Even my NOT cat safe girl wouldn't try to get through a fence for a cat. Might pull your shoulder out on a leash...

If i couldn't barely get my arm through the fence, I would be comfortable.

Agreed. Too bad the horse fence at the barn where I board only has 3 rails which are spaced far enough apart for dogs to get through (as witnessed by my barn owners Boxers).

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest ashphobiax

i went and measured, it would of been perfect. BUT the side that lines the neighbors yard they decided to dig out dirt from under the fence and the gaps are huge. :(

Can you find some really large rocks to fill in that dug out area???

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

That looks great! It's a foot higher than my fence. And if the gaps are that small, of course no issues. Sounds like a blast!

As far as the huge gaps under the fence on one side I "might" have an idea. Of course - this depends on how long an area you have to deal with - and if the owners would be ok with this.

You know that bright orange plastic snow fence? It's used around construction sites a lot. It comes in a roll, and is basically holey plastic. You could roll that out and duct tape it at intervals on the bottom rail, and put some rocks on the bottom to hold it down. I'm assuming you'll be there with your dog because it's not a sturdy solution - just a quick and dirty cover-the-obvious-escape-route. Most dogs don't challenge even a flimsy barrier if they can barely see through it.

It's cheap, quick to set up, quick to take down, and won't hurt the fence. Of course, you'd have to do it every time you were there. (unless the owners would let you leave it).

OR - you work there? Maybe you could convince the owners to let you put welded wire fencing permanently up to cover the gaps?

Edited by sobesmom