Vet Guard For Flea And Tick

There's a product at Sam's Club called Vet Guard which is a flea and tick preventative claiming to work better than Frontline. It's also quite a bit cheaper than Frontline. Does anyone know about this product, and is it safe to use on greyhounds?

According to the VetGuard Plus website, the active ingredients are:

Permethrin 45.0%

Pyriproxyfen (Nylar®*) 5.0%

Other Ingredients 50.0%

So it's similar to most of the other OTC flea and tick products like BioSpot and Hartz which are pyrethroids. And IMO, they are nowhere near as effective as Frontline or Advantage/Advantix.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

According to the VetGuard Plus website, the active ingredients are:

Permethrin 45.0%

Pyriproxyfen (Nylar®*) 5.0%

Other Ingredients 50.0%

So it's similar to most of the other OTC flea and tick products like BioSpot and Hartz which are pyrethroids. And IMO, they are nowhere near as effective as Frontline or Advantage/Advantix.

Thanks for your help! I didn't know if it was just a generic form of Frontline or what. I heard that their patent recently ran out, so other companies can make the same type of product for less money.

I didn't know if it was just a generic form of Frontline or what. I heard that their patent recently ran out, so other companies can make the same type of product for less money.

Yes, fipronil, the active ingredient in Frontline, went off patent, so other companies are using it in flea products now. One generic Frontline available now is PetArmor, which I've heard mixed reviews about. I'm actually surprised that Costco and Sam's haven't taken advantage of this to come out with their own versions of generic Frontline and seem to be staying with the pyrethroid compounds for their new flea/tick products.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wvohar

This is from the Greyhound Racing Association of America's website:

PEST CONTROL

Flea and tick control may be necessary. PLEASE, don’t ever use a flea collar on your Greyhound. It could make the dog very ill. Greyhounds are sensitive to many types of chemicals used in these collars. Don’t take a chance -- DON’T USE THEM! Use only flea and tick preparations that contain Pyrethrin as the active ingredient.

I bought the VetGuard myself and I knew it was either Pyrethrin or permethrine that was bad for Greyhounds. Long story short, I took the vetGuard back and got frontline. Just remember PerMETHrine is bad!!