Help, Please! Neighbor Complaint

Guest TracyJimBo

Oh, another thing that's great for tiring a dog out is doing training exercises. Making them use their brains is exhausting work for them, so if you haven't already, find a trainer who uses postiive reinforcement and enroll in classes. Then work with him for a few minutes every day in addition to the alone training.

You can do this. :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I'm not pro-crate, however i realize there may be certain circumstances where it is appropriate. My suggestion is if you are going to try crating him, leave the door open. If he likes it he may go in and lay down and if he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to stay confined in it which may exacerbate his problem.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

You can't even begin this discussion without addressing the exercise issue. For some Greyhounds 20 minutes is completely inadequate. I do disagree with not allowing the dog to sniff. What is needed is a long fast walk with lots of time for sniffing. Yes, sucks to have to get up so early but the exercise is essential for the dog and good for you. Get up a 5:00 AM if you have to and go to bed a whole lot earlier. Don't be lazy. Bo deserves at least an hour before you go and I bet more would be better. If you still have problems after a couple of weeks of that than it is time to try other things.

Guest TracyJimBo

Ok. I really appreciate all the advice given. I’m signing off on this for now. I spoke with our agency and she was very helpful and understanding (3rd time we’ve had to talk to her in 3 months.) Jim and I are going to have some serious discussions this weekend. There have just been so, so many things that no amount of research could prepare us for. And we’ve been working so hard. Ultimately, we are going to do what is best for all three of. And in many ways, it seems to the both of us that perhaps Bo just needs what we cannot give him.

Again, I appreciate the help and advice.

Tracy

Guest jenniferk

Tracy, my heart goes out to you. Everyone on this forum knows much more about this than I do, but I wanted to say I can totally identify with you because my situation is so similar (new adopter who has had my 2-year-old boy for nearly 3 months, have had issues, thought we solved them, then come more issues). Our issues have been different, but it seems like different things work for different hounds and their owners. So maybe it just takes a little more time to explore these great suggestions from everyone. My boy does not really like to exercise, especially in the heat, (like yours) but I pretty much make him go on long (at least 45 minute) walks very early in the morning before the sun comes up, when it's coolest. Because we've had issues with him refusing to walk, I bring lots of treats and reward him for walking nicely and make it really fun for him. My husband and I both work all day, so he's alone from 8:30 to 4:30 and has no problems and just sleeps all day. I do have a crate with the door kept open for him, and he usually sleeps in there, even though I have an even better bed for him and soft blankets to sleep on outside the crate. (I know what he does during the day because I work from home one day a week.) Before I started leaving him alone all day, I did come home at lunch and walk him, then I gradually extended the time he's home alone. Also, when we leave, we give him a really special treat--a frozen kong filled with treats, yogurt, peanut butter, etc. So I think he looks forward to us leaving every day. :-) Also, another thing that has really helped him get settled in general is taking him 2 or 3 times a week to a fenced-in dog park, where he can run and be with other dogs (he's our only dog, and we have a small backyard). I swear that it's been the single best thing that has helped him adjust to his new life (he gets to run, gets to see other dogs, tires himself out, learns how to play with toys from the other dogs, gets to meet new people who all cheer for him when he runs, etc.).

Good luck to you and Jim. I'm sending positive thoughts your way, and I just wanted you to know that you're not alone. One thing my rescue group said to me that's really stuck with me is, "It probably seems like you've had him forever, but remember that he's still adjusting to his new life. Give him time." Good luck! :clover

Tracy, I'm not sure if you'll see this since you mentioned signing off. It could make a difference for Bo if you decide to work through this early, common noise issue.

"Manners Minder" is a remote controlled training treat device invented by veterinarian/certified applied animal behaviorist, Dr. Sophia Yin. (Sharper Image company contacted her to design a device for dog owners who have barking and unruly dogs.) If Bo is food driven, this could help speed his improved behavior during your absence. Dr. Yin is a scientist and dog behavior trainer so this device's instructional DVD offers more extensive foundation training techniques than just a few limited steps. The short video (below) shows unruly barking dogs when the doorbell rings, etc. Of course, we would never want to leave any door open with Greyhounds in the house, but this device can be applied to excessive barking/whining during absences (and many other behaviors). It can automatically offer treats "triggered" by quiet behavior.

Manners Minder video: http://drsophiayin.c..._train_overview

If interested, here is a purchase source: http://www.entirelyp...CFUk0QgodAxkAEQ

You're smart to not walk Bo too long in warm temperatures. Greys are temperature sensitive, and overheat easily in warm weather. Glad you're alert to his signs of being too tired (excessive panting, etc.). Bo may already be fine to walk longer by now, but being short 30 second sprinters, newly retired hounds need to build up walking endurance slowly over time. Also, while they slowly toughen up their (initially soft) paw pads for walking on cement sidewalks, etc. Always good to view paw pads periodically, especially if hound begins to slow, dread/refuse walks. (Mildly hot sidewalks can burn pads.)

Good luck with whatever you decide for Bo.

Guest TracyJimBo

Hi,

I wanted to give a final update, for those who were kind enough to offer advice when I asked, and for those who I know are still wondering. After a lot of talking, my boyfriend and I came to the conclusion that after 3 months of trying really hard to make this work with Bo, our home was simply not right for him. I am deeply upset about this, as I’m sure you can imagine. I had a beautiful dog, Pooch, growing up for 13 wonderful years. I love animals, especially dogs. I had waited 7 years since his death to get a dog, and we did a lot of research ahead of time. Contrary to what anyone may think, we did not pick a greyhound off the cuff or take the responsibility lightly. We knew what was involved. And we really cared about Bo. He is a beautiful, sweet young boy who has a lot of offer. What we realized, upon finding out that Bo was still howling/whining during the middle of the day and every time he was home alone during the evening, is that we couldn’t provide what was best for him. He was lonely. And we could not get another dog, or be home enough for him. Plus, he is at his happiest at 6 am, yet we had to quiet him due to not disturbing the neighbor below us (we just found out the floors are very thin). How messed up is that? That he cannot even play with us when he wants to? It is clear now that Bo needs to be in a home with another dog (preferably a greyhound) to keep him company, and he cannot live in a condo/apartment due to how vocal he can be. I think it is especially true that he needs to be with another greyhound for one main reason. Of all the dogs we ever encountered, Bo really could have cared less. But we came across a lady once walking a greyhound and Bo just lit up. He was so happy to see another one, and he went up to her and just slid alongside her so they were touching. And he was just in love with the lady, though this was still when he was terrified of everything. It was like he was a different dog. So it seems now that’s what he needs.

Our lady at the agency was very helpful and compassionate. She is going to keep me updated about when Bo finds his forever home, and she is going to stipulate that he needs to be with another dog, or with a person who works from home and definitely someone with a house. I'm glad I'll eb able to find out what happens with him. I know I'll be thinking of him until he finds his home. Ultimately, Jim and I really want Bo to be happy, and we believe this is what is best for him to be his happiest.

We’re very sad. I already miss him deeply. I'm going to really miss him sniffing my face and chattering away, or watching him play when his feet look like he's tap-dancing. Or seeing his big ears stand tall. Our place now feels empty, but we know we’re doing the right thing for him, and I am confident a sweet, gorgeous boy like him will soon find a home better suited for him.

Alright, that’s all I’ve got, and I will not get into any sort of discussion about the decision. Too painful and completely pointless. It is what it is. I’ll always hold a sweet spot in my heart for our little Bo. Jim and I have decided that one we’ll get another dog, but it will definitely be when we have our own home, with our own yard.

Thanks to all of you and I appreciate the sweet message, jenniferk.

Best of luck,

Tracy

It sounds like you made the best decision for Bo and that's really all that matters. It takes a big person to be able to realize when/if a dog is unhappy and be able to put your feelings aside and do what's best for the pet. Hopefully you can find gratification in knowing that you helped the adoption group better understand Bo's wants/needs as well as being an important step in his transition from the track to the couch. Thanks for keeping us in the loop on the decision.

Guest PhillyPups

Decision has been made, deed was done.

pfffffffffffft my response not necessary.

Tracy, good luck with your life.

Edited by PhillyPups

Tracy, I followed your story and it was clear that, selflessly, you only wanted what was best for Bo. I'm sorry for how sad you are now, doing the best thing isn't always the easy thing. Bo will always be in your heart. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am sorry that it didn't work out. How nice that the group is keeping you updated. Good luck to you!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest IndyHound

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out. I had a similar situation with my husky so I know how hard it can be. Especially with people judging you who weren't a part of the situation. I truly hope you can find a dog that is both suited to you and your home. Best of luck

Edited by IndyHound

Guest karilynn

I just wanted to let you know that I went through the EXACT same thing over the winter with my first greyhound that I adopted. He would cry the entire time I was gone, despite all efforts, and enough neighbors complained. It came down to either I move or he gets a different home. I couldn't afford to the fee to get out of my lease, so sadly, and I mean VERY sadly, I gave him back to the group. I can completely understand how you feel, 100%. It was the hardest thing I have ever done and I still sometimes feel upset about it. I blamed myself a lot and you just can't do that. Some dogs, despite what anyone tells you, are just not right fit. Bo needed a different situation just like my first greyhound did. If anybody judges you for your decision, let it go. Bo will find it a great home. He will find the RIGHT home. At the end of the day, you have to do what's best for the dog and what's best for you.

I ended up trying again with another greyhound 4 months later and I got really lucky this time. My boy now is perfectly content being alone by himself and sleeps all day while I'm at work. I did a lot of things differently this time around, but life is for learning. I almost didn't try again because I was so distraught over what happened with my first greyhound. I knew that there was a possibility it could happen again and I took that risk because I knew that in my heart, I really did want a dog, but it needed to be the right dog for me. I am so happy that I tried again because Bullet, my boy now, has just made my entire life 100 times better. He is my perfect fit. He's happy and I am happy and that's what you really need at the end of the day. Anything else is just not worth crying your heart out for.

Edited by karilynn

Guest jenniferk

It sounds like you made the best decision for your situation, even though I know how incredibly difficult it must have been. I'm sure Bo will go on to a new home that's better suited, and I hope you and Jim find another dog who's a better fit in the future. All the best to you!

Guest TracyJimBo

One last (really, this time) post. Thank you so much to those of you who took the time to send me supportive and kind posts. Really means a lot and it's nice to know we're not alone. I contacted the agency and she said he's doing well and having fun with the other dogs. In some ways, I think he might be happier with them even now. It'll take a while, but we know we did what was right for this particular dog.

Alright, I'm off Greytalk now for good. Good luck to you all and thanks to those who were kind to me during a real tough time.

Tracy