Ibd And Food

Guest 3kids1grey

Guest 3kids1grey

So I posted in the food and dietary discussion last week about how Jetson has lost about 14lbs at his last visit. He is 9 (we've had him for 5 years) and has always had soft poop and gas, but his weight was always good and his vet visits showed no problems. Well, with the weight loss we did some blood tests and it shows he has IBD. The vet called me today while I was out so I haven't been able to talk to her yet about treatment, I'm assuming we'll be doing a steroid for the time being. But for long term management I'm already thinking about a simple diet. Since Friday I've been just feeding rice and a cooked protein (first chicken thighs, then ground turkey and then chicken livers). I've added cooked carrots and kale into the mix with some homemade beef broth, canned pumpkin and the occasional raw turkey necks. His appetite is HUGE. Is there anything else you would be adding or eliminating from that simple diet. He has previously been on kibble, but I've always dabbled a little in homemade add-ins so now it looks like I'll be making a full switch.

Oh, and we should be getting our new greyhound in the next few weeks and I'm wondering if I should keep her on the same homemade diet.

You will need to add supplements like calcium and vitamins to the food. I might suggest that you try out this site

https://www.petdiets.com/about/aboutfounder.asp

Dr Remaillard has put together a few diets for my dogs over the years when she was at the Angel Memorial hospital in Boston. Since then she has moved to this site. I'm not sure how the site works but maybe others on the forum can let you know if they have gotten diets through the site.

You might also have to switch between chicken and beef to see if either of those are causing a problem.

Well, with the weight loss we did some blood tests and it shows he has IBD.

What blood tests were done, and what were the results? IBD isn't really something that can be diagnosed just based on bloodwork. A biopsy is usually the only way to definitively diagnose IBD. Here's an article about Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

Home-cooking can be a good way to manage food sensitivity or intolerance that can be associated with IBD. However, it is usually recommend to keep it really simple and only feed 1 protein (and sometimes even only 1 carb) at a time. This way, if the dog doesn't do as well as expected, you can easily switch to something different without having to try to figure out which of multiple ingredients in the diet are causing the problem.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

If you're going to use a steroid, please make it budesonide, not prednisone. It targets the gut and doesn't cause the weight loss that pred can cause.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).