Temperature For Dog

I posted earlier about my Ig..with back (?) issue. I took him back in to vet because he kept shivering while sleeping. his temp was 104.1 then 103.6. vet did not take it the first time. he got a little over 103. said it was low grade..probably from stress (?).. He said he could keep him and give fluids. I opted to take him home...I am so stressed over both dogs today..He is in pain...but so out of it..like a zombie.

He told me to take his temp once an hour and call him by 8:30. Did I do the wrong thing taking him home? I just took it now: 103.7 He is sleeping soundly..not moving.

I'm not sure if it's different for iggy's, but 103 would be on the higher end of normal for a greyhound. If he has an infection or a metabolic problem, body temperature is going to be high as it fights back. You need to watch for unusual spiking or dropping, I would think, which is why your vet said to take it every hour.

(I haven't been following his issues, so no specific info from me. Lots of good thoughts though :grouphug )

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

Agreed...that teeters on the high side. I would watch him closely. Pain can do funny things, but without being sure that the temp is from that, I would follow that advice of checking every hour.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Thank you..it stayed around 103.2-103.5 last night. now at 6am: 104.2..I will be waiting at the the vet this morning! I am so worried. my vet is away..and I am not too comfortable with this vet. He doesn't want to put him anti-biotics..I will be firm this morning. he needs bloodwork too. this dog has had many issues in the past. has had seizures.

currently: for the past couple weeks: back legs shaking..when standing, then recently front legs. planned to take him to the vet next week when she returned as he was fine otherwise.

Yesterday: no appetitie,sleeping, whole body shaking, walking hunched over. (done in past for stomach issues or uti issues) fell over..just fell to side and hit the floor.

Vet: said it is his back. gave him cortisone shot and muscle relaxer. to start metacam

home: then i took temp (vet did not do :( ... 104. 1

brought him back they said a little over 103. was low grade. I could leave him for fluids or take home and check every hour.. i opted for that to watch him myself. did not move until 9pm..got up..off balance..peed and went back to sleep. got up around 11 pm..walking hunched over but balance better. drank water, peed. acting weird after drinking water..rubbed his throat and he was ok. slept all night. could not do 2 stairs to deck both times.

NOW: 6 am: fever high again..did get up. walking off balance , hunched over. started to fall to side ( caught him) could not lift leg to pee; squat. diarrehea .

back to his bed: sitting with head to side..occasional arms and legs shaking...seizures (?). I am beside myself. I know he has to stay there...but more tests need to be done. Vet didn't even look in his ears. I want bloods done. I miss my vet. while i think his back his hurting I think something else is going on..you don't run fever over 104 purely from stress. Sorry this is long..I am stressing as I wait to take him to the vet.

HIs temp was 104 at the vet..had to stay. fluids, steroids, antibiotics.

Xray: thoracic spine and cervical spine are involved. Hopefully the iv steroids will help...they have to...I love this dog so much...

Bloods: not back yet.

Could spine issues give a high fever like this?

Pain can spike a fever, but it sounds more like seizure activity to me (which can cause high fever). Hope you can get some answers soon.

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

So sorry you are going through this ... so very stressful.

I went through (am still going through) something similar recently. Initially the vet thought it was a neck/spine problem, as my dog was limping and walking hunched over, but when we started to get fevers, lethargy, swollen joints, I knew something else was going on. It turned out to be IMPA - Immune Mediated Polyarthritis. I'm no expert, but you mentioned that your dog has had auto-immune problems in the past, so I'm wondering if perhaps something auto-immune is going on here? That could cause fever. If it something auto-immune, the steroids will hopefully help.

Will be checking for updates.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Any news yet?

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

i do not think they checked for Lyme's ..will ask. HIs blood work indicated infection. white cells and all other stuff that means infection was elevated. Dr. gave me all the numbers..i cannot remember it all. he also said his liver enzymes were slightly elevated. He added in a second antibiotic. he is now on ampicillin and baytril. he has been on baytril in the past for persistant urine infections. he said his back seemed a bit better when we spoke at 9pm. he was going to be getting the second half of the first bag of steroids. (vet splits it up). would call me in the morning. I did discuss possibility of auto-immune disorder based on Flex's past history. He said he was thinking in that way, but with the elevated white counts may not be so. Either way, right now he his getting the correct treatment for that as well. I just want him to be better and home. This house is so so quiet without him. He is my senior citizen "puppy". I may ask about visiting him today, but not sure if that would upset him more..