Has Anyone Used Cytoxan (Cyclophosphamide) For Chemo?

Nube is going to start chemo on Saturday, and the drug is Cytoxan (given every other day).

has anyone here ever used it for their dog? If so, what side effects (if any) did your dog have? This stuff is SUPER scary, very toxic.

thanks!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Not only have I used it on a grey, I've had it myself. Both times it was in combination with other drugs so it may be hard to separate out the side effects from Cytoxan specifically.

Alex got lung mets after osteo amputation and carboplatin chemo. We tried a Metronomic protocol which included Cytoxan every other day. The protocol also included an NSAID and an antibiotic. Alex stopped eating shortly after we started the protocol. It wasn't clear if it was from the cancer spreading or the meds being hard on his stomach. We took him off all the meds about 2 weeks after starting. We had to let him go a few days after that.

I had intravenous Cytoxan with Doxyrubicin for breast cancer. I had flu-like symptoms but it's my belief it was mostly from the Doxyrubicin. However, Cytoxan causes a metallic taste in the mouth. Food does not taste good. I found myself obsessed with food; fantasizing about my next meal. I'd take a few bites and be unsatisfied and start thinking about the next meal. Weird. I was told garlic/onions and citrus are flavors that penetrate the taste. I know you can't give it to dogs, but garlic worked pretty well.

Dude had this with his metronomic protocol following amp/IV chemo. We didn't notice any specific problems, and he did well for four months until the osteo metastisized.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

It's usually well tolerated. I have only used it within the chop protocol which involves other agents too but, on the cytoxan days the dogs did well. One thing that seems to help is giving the patient zofran or cerenia prior to the induction. You can also continue either one orally for a few days post.

Fwiw--all chemo drugs are scary. Try not to read too much on the Internet-you'll make yourself nuts. Sending healing thoughts.

thanks so far for the good info -- I hope he does well on it.

It's usually well tolerated. I have only used it within the chop protocol which involves other agents too but, on the cytoxan days the dogs did well. One thing that seems to help is giving the patient zofran or cerenia prior to the induction. You can also continue either one orally for a few days post.

Fwiw--all chemo drugs are scary. Try not to read too much on the Internet-you'll make yourself nuts. Sending healing thoughts.

the internet was actually less scary. It was his discharge papers that had most of the scary info on it :unsure

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Pinky takes it every day as part of her post-IV chemo protocol. Zero issues :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

good to hear a few didn't have any issues! I'm praying Nube has zero too. I did get some Pepcid to give, they said I could give 20mg 1 x day so maybe that will help.

Not only have I used it on a grey, I've had it myself. Both times it was in combination with other drugs so it may be hard to separate out the side effects from Cytoxan specifically.

Alex got lung mets after osteo amputation and carboplatin chemo. We tried a Metronomic protocol which included Cytoxan every other day. The protocol also included an NSAID and an antibiotic. Alex stopped eating shortly after we started the protocol. It wasn't clear if it was from the cancer spreading or the meds being hard on his stomach. We took him off all the meds about 2 weeks after starting. We had to let him go a few days after that.

I had intravenous Cytoxan with Doxyrubicin for breast cancer. I had flu-like symptoms but it's my belief it was mostly from the Doxyrubicin. However, Cytoxan causes a metallic taste in the mouth. Food does not taste good. I found myself obsessed with food; fantasizing about my next meal. I'd take a few bites and be unsatisfied and start thinking about the next meal. Weird. I was told garlic/onions and citrus are flavors that penetrate the taste. I know you can't give it to dogs, but garlic worked pretty well.

sorry about Alex :( :( :( and sorry you had to go through it too! I've had to take Flagyl (Metronidazole) for diverticulitis and it does the same thing, it's really icky. :(

we're going to get Pill Pockets for this so we don't run the risk of contaminating the counters and such -- right from the bottle to the pocket (as opposed to putting it in liver sausage).

how did you guys handle the poops and urine? I told Bruce he'll have to dump them into a plastic grocery bag and then that into another and tie it up good...but I'm worried about the urine, as Larry sniffs where Nube pees and I'm worried about that. He does wear a muzzle with a stool guard so that will help some, but then I'll have to figure out how to wash the muzzles each time. :(:dunno

My doctor actually told me we didn't have to worry about the waste on the metronomic protocol, unless we had poop eaters. Not sure if my dosage is different than yours, or just my doctor's opinion, but we don't do anything special. I will say, though, that chemo pee stains wood floors more than regular pee! But that was the IV chemo, not the at-home.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

how did you guys handle the poops and urine? I told Bruce he'll have to dump them into a plastic grocery bag and then that into another and tie it up good...but I'm worried about the urine, as Larry sniffs where Nube pees and I'm worried about that. He does wear a muzzle with a stool guard so that will help some, but then I'll have to figure out how to wash the muzzles each time. :(:dunno

Our oncologist wasn't that worried about the Cytoxan. We were more diligent about picking up the poop but that was it. I don't remember being told to wear gloves either.