79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you:

• Use Front Line
    • Use something else
    • Use nothing
    • Use Front Line, etc. and feel like it's a waste of money
    • Use Front Line, etc. seasonally

Guest LindsaySF

The Costco brand is set up next to the Frontline Plus display, but it's NOT the same. It's actually the same ingredients as Biospot.

There are some generic Frontline products out now, since the active ingredient fipronil went off patent. However, there is not a generic equivalent of Frontline Plus, which includes an insect growth regulator (S-methoprene) to also kill immature flea stages.

There are generics with the S-methoprene now too. :) One of them is Ecto Advance.

~Lindsay~

Edited by LindsaySF

There are generics with the S-methoprene now too. :) One of them is Ecto Advance.

Might be interesting to see how long that stays on the market... Merial successfully defended their patent on Frontline Plus, which is the combo of fipronil with s-methoprene, and got at least one product removed from the market, PetArmor Plus. Here's a Merial news release with more info.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FullMetalFrank

I have lived in this house for 17 years, with cats before greyhounds, and considering the array of wildlife that tromps thru my little acre, I consider us blessed to have never had a bad flea problem. This year, though, with all of our trips to the park to practice my dogs on the lure machine, we are getting what seem to be "hitchhikers" and poor Jewels is flea allergic pretty bad, Non is as well but not so bad as poor Julie-bug. In the past, when I worked at the kennel, everyone was frontlined because that place was flea (and tapeworm) heaven. And Frontline was not working for the kennel dogs. I try not to use it unless I see actual evidence of fleas.

Right now I am doing daily flea combing; and I have mixed up a concoction of rosemary, eucalyptus, and Texas cedar oils in a spray bottle, just a few drops with water and I mist the dogs before they go outside. It seems to repel the little buggers quite well, and is soothing to the dogs. I am not usually so much of a person who reaches for homeopathic solutions, but more and more I am finding that many products that worked for us before, just don't anymore. I gave Jewels a nice bath yesterday and didn't find any critters or evidence, and she is mostly white, so we are doing OK. I also used borax on the carpet in the studio, the sofa in there, and the living room. Happily, no one is itching and I haven't had to resort to bringing out the big guns!

I used Frontline with my Greys 'Ivy' and 'Soldi' who passed away some years ago. Initially it did work but over the years the

protective effect diminished.

My new rescue Husky-Podenco Mix does not need any flea protection as she seems to be immune against them. I have had her

for 2 years now and never ever I saw a flea on her. I think fleas would get desperate trying to get through her extremely thick coat. Even when I picked her up at the miserable place where she used to live,

she was full of ticks but not any flea. So right now she only gets a tick collar and that's it.

Frontline over here is not any more considered a secure flea protection.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.