Kebo Finally Starting Treatment Tomorrow...

Guest greytkidsmom

Guest greytkidsmom

The wait has been a little longer than I would like but Kebo will begin his intralesional chemotherapy treatments for the hemangioperiocytoma on his left wrist tomorrow. Our local vet is doing it following a protocol Dr. Couto sent her. We drop him off at 10 and pick him up at 3. He has to be sedated because Dr. Couto says the injections hurt a bit and he doesn't recommend numbing the area with local anesthetic because the lidocaine might affect the way the chemo works. I don't expect that we will see a lot since the thing was already resected as much as possible. Our hope is that this will keep it from growing back. The protocol is supposed to be as effective as radiation therapy and could hopefully stretch the recurrence rate as far out as 2 years.

My biggest worry is getting him there. We have been working with Kebo every day to help him deal with his travel anxiety in hopes that I can actually get him out of the house and into the car to get there. Any good thoughts (for travel or for treatment) that can be spared would be appreciated.

Good thoughts for Kebo. I hope all goes well and will be waiting to hear an update on your sweet boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sending lots and lots of good thoughts for relaxed travel. :goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

sending lots of healing thoughts for Kebo

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Be strong Kebo - you can do it buddy!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest greytkidsmom

Sending good calming traveling thoughts :-). My sympathies--my Shannon is the same way-Xanax is her best travel companion!

Do you know how many treatments Kebo will need?

I think it is 4 or 6 treatments at 2 week intervals.

Better than the three weeks of daily treatment for radiation.

Trazodone is our current travel companion.

Guest greytkidsmom

Rats. He is NPO this morning. He was on to us the minute he missed breakfast. I leashed him up with his sister Tiel and we got outside just fine. He froze as soon as Tiel jumped into the car. Couldn't use the clicker and treats because he isn't supposed to eat. I just picked him up and put him in the back. Squatting a 70+ pound greyhound should give me "buns of steel," right?

Guest greytkidsmom

Kebo is home. Vet said the treatment went well. He goes for a recheck/second treatment in a week. He wouldn't come into the lobby to meet me - he wanted to stay in his kennel at the vet clinic. He had a few choice snorts to share with me then finally got into the car to come home.

Glad Kebo is home and okay. I'm sure you'll pay for the car rides but in the end it's best for sweet Kebo!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

sending good thoughts!!!! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Kebo sounds like a real character! Reminds me of my little princess Shannon. Glad everything went well today. Just curious-you said he already had surgery-I'm assuming the margins were not clean-were they close but, dirty?

Btw-buns of steel doesn't sound so bad-better than a bum back right?

Guest greytkidsmom

Kebo sounds like a real character! Reminds me of my little princess Shannon. Glad everything went well today. Just curious-you said he already had surgery-I'm assuming the margins were not clean-were they close but, dirty?

Btw-buns of steel doesn't sound so bad-better than a bum back right?

Character is right. We love our stubborn hermit boy.

it was a pretty incomplete resection - she didn't know what it was for sure when she removed it so I'm assuming they were pretty dirty.

She has experience with a prior GH with the same tumor - sent it to the vet school and they resected widely down to periosteum, left it open to heal by secondary intention, and then skin grafted it. It was a long process but they did get clean margins. That dog lived another 2 years and died from an unrelated cause.

I couldn't see putting Kebo through all of that. He licks at his paws and ankles when they aren't hurting. We joke that it is his greyhound equivalent of "sucking his thumb." Amputation seems extreme especially since it didn't seem to hurt at the time of diagnosis. He started to limp a little last week but we think that is because we stepped up his daily walks to help with his travel anxiety. He is 10 and already has some arthritis in his back. My literature search found resection followed by radiation to be the most common therapy. The closest radiation to us is 3 hours away and we would need to leave him there for a while. This leaves Dr. Couto's protocol for which he quoted equivalent results to radiation (about a 2 year recurrence rate). He can stay with us at home, he needs minimal trips to the vet, and even though he is worth millions to us, the cost difference is quite remarkable. The only other option would be to do nothing but we felt like we needed to at least try something.

Guest LindsaySF

I've been wondering how Kebo was doing. I'm behind in my GT reading. Glad to hear the treatment went ok, even though you had to heft him into the car. :) I have 2 dogs I need to lift into the car! I keep saying it's strengthening my muscles. :rolleyes: Keep us posted.

Guest greytkidsmom

Kebo must be feeling okay - he caught and ate a baby bird yesterday in the back yard. He scraped his nose up in the process but he was quite proud of himself. RIP baby bird.

Wow. Amazing Kebo!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Kebo :wub: :wub: :wub: . Glad his treatment went OK.

I firmly believe, the bigger the dog and weaker the person, the less likely the dog is to jump into the car. Even if the dog LIKES car rides. That is how it seems, anyways.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytkidsmom

Treatment #2/4 today - there was a little raised area where the tumor had been resected that is totally flat now. Vet says the wound looks great. Will just do a dressing change next week with treatment #3/4 the following week. We were out of tramadol and somehow the prescription didn't get called in so I had to get him to the vet without any pharmaceutical help. Thanks to Tiel for being so willing to take an extra car ride :) The vet used a different anesthesia protocol (the one OSU recommends) since he didn't have the tramadol on board and Kebo walked right out of the office and put himself in the back of the car at the end of the day. He is presently snoring in the corner.

On a side note, another vet in the practice heard about the protocol and has a client with the same tumor. He is going to start treatments with that dog. I am so happy to know that Kebo (and OSU) have the chance to help another dog so soon.