Limping, Think It's The Toe

Guest DiforDan

Guest DiforDan

Pixie is limping this morning and we can't work out why. My husband says she was OK when she went out in the garden earlier, then when she jumped off her bed to say good morning to me the limp started. It's on the front right and she is lifting the paw. Thinking it might be cramp I have massaged the leg and shoulder. She has had a 50mg Rimadyl. She still had a little run in the garden (a few strides) despite the limp!

It's beginning to look like it might be one of her toes. She whimpers when I touch the inner toe and webbing, and pulls it away. Yet I have examined it with a torch and can't see anything wrong, although the webbing is a little bit red. Any ideas?

It could be almost anything at this stage including a bite, a sting, a corn, a grass seed, a thorn, stepping on a stone etc.

If it doesn't clear up in a couple of days maybe go to the vet for an X-Ray incase its a hairline break, dislocation, or abnormal cell growth.

Remember, pain is a mechanism that helps the animal protect itself from further damage and so you don't want them running around hard until you know what it is.

Guest DiforDan

Thanks JohnF, she only took a few strides (post-poop celebration!) and not at full speed. Still, seemed encouraging at the time that she felt she could do that. Have put some ointment with anesthetic in her webbing near the toe and now she is sleeping.

when in doubt, before i call my vet....i soak the paw in epson's salts 3xs a day. then i look for a corn or if something is lodged in the pad. if there's still a limp and no sign of change or nothing comes to the surface then i call the vet. he checks to see if it's the pad, leg, or joint....lyme or tick borne disease is then considered.

Guest DiforDan

Thanks guys. Pixie is 3. She seems a lot better this afternoon so hopefully it was just a little strain or sprain. Will take her to vets if it gets worse again. Let's just hope it was just "one of those things".

Guest DiforDan

Pixie is walking better today .

but still lifting the paw and limping a bit. I think I can see there is something in her pad. Taking her to vets later

Guest DiforDan

Typical! Took her to the vets just as she seemed to have stopped limping! He thinks whatever was in there has worked itself out! Great news if true and she has stopped limping and been walking as normal, not so great about the unnecessary vet's bill!

Hopefully much ado about - sort of - nothing!

Guest DiforDan

Pixie still limping and holding paw up a little when she first puts her weight on it, then she stops limping and walks fine. Vet thinks this is indicative that something WAS there and now has gone leaving a little nick which will niggle her at first on rising from the sofa.

Hope he is right. He said she would probably do the greyhound scream of death when you press it, if she had a piece of something embedded in there. Hopefully this is right and there is not anything left in there, but I am keeping a close eye on it and her. Thanks folks.

Guest DiforDan

Pixie in vets now under sedation and they are having a dig around in her pad to see if there is something in it. Can't wait to have her home hope there is not too much digging involved and it's not the start of corns.

Guest DiforDan

They dug out a splinter! Greyt news! Bad news is one of our others is doing the same thing now with his back left foot and I have a suspicion that this time it might be the start of corns :(