Allergies

Guest ashphobiax

Guest ashphobiax

when we first got glider, we decided to put him on grain free since our sheltie was already on grain free due to her skin allergy. now the question was which grain food to use, first we tried pure sea by canidae which the main meat is salmon, worked great although both thier breathes could kill someone, and it began to stink out our little 750sq ft apartment, so it was time to switch. We chose to go to pure sky, main meat being duck. both dogs liked it so we thought we were set, until our pet store and the surrounding ones decided to stop selling it. on the adventure we went again, next one we tried, nature's variety instinct, main meat chicken, both dogs were off with it. it conscipated our sheltie and glider couldnt keep anything inside. finally after researching day in and day out we threw in the towel and decided to talk to a guy who worked in our pet store, explain our situation and what he thought was going on, i explained that glider has a spot where he chews on his hind end and that our vet thinks its allergies but we are not sure what he is excatley allergic too although we believe its grass, he reccommended nutrisca with main meat being lamb and instead of having potatoes it has chickpeas to make up for the starch of the potatoes which are grown in the dirt and sometimes are surrounded by grass...go figure if i only put two and two together. needless to say he is doing a lot better and on a allergy pill to help with the itchiness of the allergy.

today, hes down, not feeling too well. my boyfriend also woke up with really bad allergies so i believe he is just stuffy and not feeling himself.

is anyone else dealing with allergies with there greys? what are you doing to deal with it? any recommondations would be superb.

Edited by ashphobiax

Guest PiagetsMom

I've just about decided that finding the cause of an allergy is kind of like finding a needle in a haystack. My Mirage has had an "itchy" face for the last year or so. I had him tested by a saliva swab, and he was positive for wheat and beef. He's been on grain free foods and treats, so it's not the wheat. The only beef product he's had are bully sticks, if they even qualify. I switched to lamb pizzles instead - no change. So, I don't believe it's the bully sticks.

I recently changed foods (for an entirely different reason) to a fish-based, grain free food that producing some of the best poops he's ever had - but he still has an "itchy" face. I really don't think it's anything that he's consuming that's causing it, so that leaves something environmental, which makes sense because some times he's worse than others. His vet recommended that I give him 10 mg Zyrtec, which I've done when he's been especially itchy, and it does seem to help.

Good luck!

Guest jenniferk

I just adopted my boy 2.5 months ago. I originally had him on Blue Buffalo lamb & rice, and that helped with the constant diarrhea he'd had since we got him. Then I noticed him scratching--the "itchy face" that PiagetsMom mentions, and he'll just sit in a field of grass and whine and scratch. So I switched to Blue Buffalo Freedom grain-free in chicken (the only flavor it comes in), and he seemed to get much better, but he still scratches from time to time, but not as much. Maybe gluten is just part of his allergies? I think I'm going to try the Blue Buffalo Wilderness grain-free salmon soon to see if a fish protein is better for him. Thanks for the tip on giving him an allergy pill if he seems super itchy.

If your dog is allergic to grass or some other pollen, it doesn't make any difference what food he eats. It only matters if he's allergic to something in his food!

I'd try Benadryl and see if he stops chewing the spot.

My last dog had horrible allergies--at first they were May-Sept., and the older he got, the longer they bothered him.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Most allergies are environmental not food allergies (most). Have you tried antihistamines? I find Benadryl is more effective for allergic reactions such as bee stings but, not very effective for allergies.. You can try Claritin, Zyrtec, Chlortrimeton... Ask your vet for dosages. Also, frequent bathing with a medicated shampoo (I use Ketachlor) helps tremendously--removes the topical allergens and it's a antibacterial reducing pustules and skin eruptions. My sympathies--I have an itchy face boy too--it's been a bad year for allergies.

Guest ashphobiax

Now, gliders face isn't itchy...its...his...butt... :youcrazy

same idea of the allergies? or am i on the wrong end of the scale? i wondered about bathing thanks for the input!

Now, gliders face isn't itchy...its...his...butt... :youcrazy

same idea of the allergies? or am i on the wrong end of the scale? i wondered about bathing thanks for the input!

My allergic hound does the same thing-he goes from itching his face to actually biting at his groin. When he starts that behavior I know it's time for a tubbie. There's times where he needs a bath twice a week to say on top of the itches-thank goodness hes greyt in the tub.