Whining

wow, just seeing this now. I'm sorry Da Vid and you are having such a rough time! and what a vet, OMG. I sure hope you can find another to do the therapy at. :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I haven't read all the responses but do have a few observations:

- back in the early 90s my lab-beagle cross had back surgery at the age of 12 - we never went through anything like you are; he was on pain meds for a period of time (codeine) and had to be kept quiet (xpen in living room) leash-only walks etc., but we did not have any issues with whining etc.

- between all my dogs we've been through a lot of surgeries, still nothing like you are describing; no idea if it's pain or a drug reaction, but something is wrong

- I've used two facilities here for water therapy with my whippet, and the owner is *expected* to be there.

Something is wrong with this picture.

He took his last med last night. So will know in a couple of days if it is drug related. I am also going to take him back to the hydrotherapy tomorrow. If we are not treated well, we will leave. If that happens, I don't know what the next step will be. Guess I could think about a hot tub, but do not have any room inside the house and would think the insurance would go out the roof. I really wish I had followed my regular vets thoughts and just gone to Charleston, South Carolina. Even if I had to drive everyday (about 2 hours one way) it would be better than all of this crap.

Could increased protein cause the whining? I have been trying to change his food to raw since the food recalls a few months ago. I am still giving him some kibble, but probably 50% raw beef also. Just wondering...Also, just a while ago he was whining with me in the same room. Also he was constantly moving from bed to bed. He is also chewing off his rear toe nails and has been since the surgery. He also keeps looking at his butt. And he keeps licking his hips. I think he still has pain from the surgery, but want him to come off the pain meds. It has been almost 6 weeks since the surgery. I know I am really complaining, but do not know what to do. It is going to be a long night again. Thanks

It does sound like he is feeling uncomfortable, in some pain. I wonder if he's actually getting too much therapy and it's aggrevating the surgery area? Did the surgeon suggest the amount of therapy? I don't think change in food would cause this. Could you get him in for a recheck with the surgeon to see if they can tell you he's healing alright? I'm sorry you and DaVid are going through this and I'm sure it's really hard for you to see him uncomfortable and to not know what's causing it. I hope you get some answers and things improve soon.

May not be pain-may be numbness. Is he taking gabapentin?

If the surgeon feels he's stable enough to make the trips to rehap it might be time to make that trip to Osu-there's a really wonder neuro there (actually they are all wonderful-Dr Dyce is know to have magic hands).

Something is not right with your boys recovery.

Edited by tbhounds

The surgeon scheduled him for 5 days a week for 3 weeks in the hydrotherapy (water tank with treadmill). He started the big D yesterday and it is continuing today. I have put him on metronidazole. That is all of the meds he is on. I was up with him at 2:00 am this morning with him whining. He is eating just great. He seems to hold his urine for a long time..like 12 hours and then he goes for at least 5 minutes, but it is not a strong stream, rather a weak dribble. He is off gabapentin and has been off for 3 days. I also took him off of tramadol to see if it would make a difference. It has been 6 weeks tomorrow since the surgery and I would think he should be off. The surgeon wanted him off of the pain meds the second week after surgery, but I can tell you that did not work.

Ohio

OSU=Ohio State University

https://greyhound.osu.edu/aboutghwp/

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

How did it go today? He's your pup and you have every right to know what's going on so don't let them intimidate you, especially if he is a lot better with you there. It sounds like they have to eat their words and they are really defensive about it. jmho

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

He still has the big D again today, so did not take him. Put him on Science I/D and Metronidazole. Hopefully we can go back tomorrow. I will post. Thanks for asking.

Oh, I did e-mail OSU and asked them about the whining. Hopefully they will answer me.

I gave him 1 Tramadol with his dinner. He is asleep right now in his crate in my room. That is strange because he usually is in the living room. So, I don't know whether to take him back to the hydrotherapy tomorrow if the big D. is under control or let him rest for the rest of the week. I wonder if he will ever get better?

And thanks! I would love to come to Texas!

sending more prayers for your baby :(:hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm not kidding. I've driven to Jekyll Island for Sandy Paws :lol

I wouldn't take him tomorrow. Let him get better before putting him in the treadmill again.

Almost all of the dogs I've tried to move to raw got the trots. The only rawish food that my guys do consistanly well with is BilJac frozen (which I believe you can get in Savannah)

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Also, just a while ago he was whining with me in the same room. Also he was constantly moving from bed to bed. He is also chewing off his rear toe nails and has been since the surgery. He also keeps looking at his butt. And he keeps licking his hips. I think he still has pain from the surgery, but want him to come off the pain meds. It has been almost 6 weeks since the surgery.

To me this sounds like he has "weird" sensations in his back legs. Could be tingling, shooting pains, etc. This is not uncommon in a human who has had a similar surgery. Almost everyone in my family has had back surgery. They have been told that it can take up to a year for nerves to recover. They have been prescribed gabapentin, tramadol and often a muscle relaxer. Don't know how much of this translates to dogs.

Hey folks. Took both Da Vid and Lady to my regular vet today. She has put Da Vid back on Gabapentin every 12 hours. She is convinced he is still in pain from the surgery. She put Lady on Doxy 100mg 4 pills a day and Previcox 227 mg (1/2 tab.) every 24 hours. She had done blood and urine and will do x-rays monday. She is referring us to Charleston next week. Lady is in pain all over her body. We don't know why. You know, I don't mean to bitch, but we cannot catch a break around here. I had Huck put down in April and then everyone knows Da Vid's story and now Lady. Thanks for listening.