Grass Eating

Guest bubbagum

I have several that will eat it until they throw up so I don't allow mine to eat it any more. The other thing to be aware of is if you let your dogs graze on grass, other than your own yard, you have no idea if chemicals have been used on it or not. Most of my neighbors have their yards treated year round so I don't allow my dogs to graze on any grass on walks.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BrindleBabes

My two eat grass when they don't feel good. It's a very reliable indicator that something is wrong and I can look forward to a mess later.

Ditto here. If they eat more than a little bit, it's going to come out one end or the other. I've found that Woolite Pet Stain & Odor Remover with Oxy does a good job on the green carpet stain.

Molly seems to eat grass just because she likes it, and it never makes her sick. Swirl on the other hand eats it when her medicine is making her feel bad, and she will throw up later on in the day.

• 3 weeks later...

Maddie was outside yesterday morning eating grass or as I call it "mowing the grass" for me. She had what I call gurgly tummy so I am wondering if she was eating the grass to settle her stomach. She seems to only eat grass when she has gurgly tummy which is when her tummy is making weird noises. I did not give her breakfast as she was not interested in her cookies which tells me she was not feeling well. But my chowhound is back and eating well today.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

My Molly aways ate grass when he tummy was upset, I think it helped her throw up. Oddly enough Garland like to graze also, but he has never thrown up :) I guess it would be a source of fibre for them.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 18tjettagrl

I've noticed Victoria has taken up eating clover. From what I've been reading it is sweet to them?It's made her puke and poop smell like it. Well today is the first day she's thrown it up...and might I add on the cats tail. Hilarious!

Samlur likes the organic wheat grass plant I buy for the cats. It really cuts down on cats' hairballs.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

dogs are not obligate carnivores like cats, they like the occasional vegetable. including grass. millie likes the taller broad bladed grasses rather than lawn grass, wheat grass is also a good snack. blue used to like some grasses, but his favourite was a vine-like weed called 'cleavers' which is also used by humans as a spring tonic, thought to be good for the kidneys. veggies help provide fibre and i imagine if their tummys are upset, grass makes them feel better. as doggies are like little kids, they sometimes get carried away and over-eat till they puke. my two have never ever puked. had a terrier once, he would puke tho. he was about 20 when he passed.

one must admit it is amusing when they get a dingleberry hanging off their posteriors and swinging in the breeze, and they look at you lovingly in their misery for relief when they figure out what the problem is....

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest undergreysspell

It's funny since I started adding frozen green beans to her food bowl Gracie has stopped eating grass...maybe she just needs more veggies ?