Huey Needs Help With His Coat.

Guest greybookends

Guest greybookends

In the last month there has been a steady decline in Huey's coat. I am thinking it is the kibble. I feed a raw and kibble diet. Huey has been doing just fine until recently. I am thinking it is the kibble. Everyone else is fine. Huey is the only one having a problem. Poops are fine eating is fine activity is fine. It's just Huey's coat. I am going to switch his food to something designed specifically for a healthy coat. What I am wondering is this, I give fish oil capsules twice a day but I am wondering if something different would be beneficial to him. Maybe a Flax seed oil or something else. I am going to find a medicated shampoo as well to see if that helps.

He is normally nice and shiny.

049.jpg

However right now he is looking rather shabby.

Sardines! In EVOO or tomato sauce.

Has Huey had a recent fecal? He is adorable.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Yes, sardines help. Wheatgerm Oil will help even better as it has more Vitamin E. You only need to drop 1/2 teaspoon a day on their food so the little bottle will last a long time. Expect noticeable results in 2 weeks.

Maybe it's just your dog's time to blow his coat?

Guest greybookends

Thanks for the ideas. I will give some a try . If no improvement soon I will have his thyroid checked. As for blowing his coat, Huey doesn't shed. He never has, probably do to the Basenji in him.

Guest greybookends

Thyroid and other medical issues can cause coat issues...can you switch him to just raw and no kibble?

Straight raw is what I was initially feeding but with the rising cost of meat I went with half and half about a year ago. If the food is in fact what's causing this then feeding Huey just raw will not be a problem because he is the smallest of my pack so it should not significantly effect costs. As a matter of fact I am thinking of doing that first.

Guest greybookends

Well I couldn't find any wheat germ but I did get the coconut oil. For now I will eliminate the kibble and feed him half chicken and half mackerel add the coconut oil to his food and see how that does. If I do not see any kind of difference by the time DH gets his next check I will take him to the vet and have his thyroid checked.

Thanks everyone.

i tried just about everything w/ emily and then hit the right thing and haven't changed since....lakse cronche cold pressed salmon oil- my dogs, weights 57-77#s get 4 squirts daily.i buy an 88oz bottle that last around 6 months. it takes around 6-8 weeks for a coat to improve w/ a suppliment, so what ever your decision is, stick w/ it for at least 2 months and see if there is a change.

i tried:

nupro (emily loved the taste sooo much she found the container, ate the cover off of it and binged)

sardines

fish oil capsules(from costco variety of dosages)

bacon fat

linatone

miracoat

wheat germ

olive oil

the lakse cronche seemed to do the trick and i've stuck w/ it ever since. it's easy to control the amount.(it took a year to figure this out. i keep the fat content of the kibble around 14% and protien around 24%,less than that it seems as if i run into skin issues).

his coat is as shiny as can be, is he popping up w/ dandruff which does pop up when they are excited. i used to show black tri salukis and the dandruff could be a killer if they were nervous.