Knocking Water Into Food Dish Before Eating..

Guest bernadette

Guest karilynn

My boy doesn't do this, but he does something LIKE this when I've taken him swimming at the lake. He likes to put his nose in the water and breathe out, creating bubbles, then he breathes in and snorts out water into the air, literally like an elephant. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen!

Guest bernadette

Karilynn,

That's so cute! That's the closest I've come to hearing that someone else's grey does something similar. Still can't believe it! Seems so instinctual (or so I thought) that I thought for sure there would be others. :)

He is a cutie! He looks happy doing that. Olivia doesn't do anything quite like that but I do find water that she's splashed into the food bowl - not sure if it's intentional or not. She does really like it when I add a little broth to her kibble and does a little happy dance. I"m guessing Vinnie just thinks it tastes better with water. Messy, but he's happy, right?

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

Guest bernadette

We alternate, water/broth. Whe eats pretty much the same between the two, the dish will sit untouched for just as long either way. What he really loves is scrambled eggs- no time wasted tossing around water when there are eggs in the bowl!

Hilarious!!! :rotfl Your handsome and silly guy... I would just keep doing what you are doing. Too funny!

Heisman will sometimes put his long needle-nose all the way to the bottom of the water bowl like he is dunking for apples. :dunno But it is nothing compared to your boy.

Thanks for sharing!

:gh_bow

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

He thinks he is a chef - just likes mixing (or playing?) with his food. It is strange but harmless. Is it the same if you move it away from your furnace/AC vent? I'm guessing the water gets absorbed by the time he gets around to eating it so he just liquifies it a bit.

Guest bernadette

Yes, his behavior has been the same for years (we have only been in our current home for about four months or so..). The water is absorbed actually quite quickly, like I said before. Not even half an hour.

Guest BrianRke

Oh my gosh!! This just brought back a flood of memories!!! My first greyhound, Cleo, used to do that. I havent thought about that in years. Thanks for the smile :)

Guest LindsaySF

I have seen dogs do this when they have an upset stomach. They are trying to "bury" the food. One of mine used to do it but once I changed his food (and dewormed him) he never did it again. Old lady Chase used to do it a lot, tried to bury the bowl in her blankets, but she had a lot of medical issues including kidney failure. If you've ruled out medical causes, maybe he's just quirky. :)

Guest goofydog

OCD! Get Em does this and I just have to leave the room to keep from laughing in his face. He also drinks like a horse. Fills his mouth, turns away from the bowl and proceeds to ingest half and the other half gushes to the floor. Anyone who we have roomed with at events knows to keep a towel in the vicinity of the water bowl!

Guest greytchloe

One of my grey's used to do the exact same thing. My guess is that it was an upset stomach or issue with the food, or the food causing the upset stomach, etc. We switched her kibble to a different kind and she has not done this even once since. I would try a different food and see if the behavior persists (if you have not already tried this).

While it admittedly looks cute, when my girl was doing this it seemed almost frantic...she did not seem to be enjoying herself.

He is quite a handsome boy!

Guest bernadette

He has actually been on a few different foods (over the 5.5 years he has been with us) until we settled on Kirkland which he loves and we love it too (no corn, no wheat). He did it with every single food. I think it is behavioral, nothing physical.

Thank you- I think he is handsome too... a big boy, everyone says.