Eating Grass

Guest bubbagum

Guest bubbagum

I am wondering if there is something lacking in the dog's diets to make them want to eat grass. Once in a greyt while they will throw it up. I have cooked kale for them on occasion, but they're not that interested in eating it. (One does, one doesn't.) Other than that we are fairly consistant with their food.

Thanks for any insight.

I think for many dogs eating grass can be a sign they are sick, but from my experience greys just seem to enjoy eating it! I have heard all kinds of theories as to why they eat it, ranging from fibre, parasite control, enzymes, phytochemicals, etc. but I really have to idea. Teague has eaten it no matter what diet he has been on. I have ground up all kinds of greens and veggies and kelp to add to his food but he still loves munching on the grass! I know their body cannot actually break the grass down, so I doubt they get much nutrition from it. I have heard that animals eat grass to clean out their intestines as it travels through and scrapes out some of the parasites or other things. I have no idea if this is true or not.

Edited by RedHead

If stools haven't been checked recently, take a fecal sample in for each and have it checked for worms / parasites. Worms are a huge issue in the midwest this year. Note- they don't always show up - it is pure luck if they find them most of the time. Your vet may prescribe a preventive de-worming depending on symptoms.

We have done 3 rounds of Panacur this summer for Rocket. Within a few hours of the first dose each time, he is obviously feeling better and the grass eating / belly rumbles go away. I'm sure he is picking them up on our walks.

A friend who works for a vet in Indy advised that they are often having to treat 4 or 5 times to get rid of them.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest EvanstonGrey

My girl munches on the grass a bit but we only let her do it in spots that we know haven't been sprayed with chemicals... Our vet says if she doesn't throw it up or show any other signs of tummy troubles that it's no biggie - I think it's just fun for her?

Betty Joan is a social grass eater like I used to be (generally) a social smoker. One of the neighbor's dogs was always eating grass but only in front of our building, and Betty somehow picked up that that's what she's supposed to do. She only does it when we're hanging out or talking with neighbors, and only on our property! I try to get her to stop, but she keeps doing it. If we stop on our walk anywhere else to talk with people, there's no grass eating. If I'm outside on our property with just Betty, there's no grass eating. So for her, it's hard to determine if the grass eating is symptomatic of any larger issue. She has had digestive problems in the past, but her grass-eating does not seem related since it only shows up in certain circumstances.

Maybe some of them just think they're graze-hounds.

jeffbettybanner2.jpg

Betty "Beauty" Joan. 63B-21375. June 2003 - March 2015. Thank you pretty girl!

Nube loves eating grass, doesn't zuke it up, just enjoys munching on it. He especially is loving the fact that he is not muzzled now (with a stool cup) when he goes out as he is leashed all the time out there now, so he can eat all he wants :) He only likes the really long crab grass stuff (which we have PLENTY of in our yard).

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest mbfilby

All three of ours graze on grass, no matter if they have full or empty bellies. No one ever brings it back up.

I've had other breeds of dogs that would eat grass only when they had upset tummies, and they would bring up the grass shortly after.

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

There is a wide bladed bright green grass - don't know what it is for sure but I think that it is crab grass that when wet with dew in the morning or after a rain, they just love grazing on it- looks like the grass has really come out in the last month. Mine does not throw it up...If they are feeling poorly they will eat anytype of grass and that is liable to come back up but the crabgrass does not. Mine always mark the area and look for that grass every time we come by it - so I think it is a delicacy to them.

Guest jenniferk

Glad to hear this is so common. My boy also loves eating the fresh grass after a big rain, especially when it's dewey in the morning. He puts his nose down and would probably stay there grazing all day if I let him. I've wondered if this is okay for him, but I guess so? He usually doesn't throw it up.

Guest mbfilby

Glad to hear this is so common. My boy also loves eating the fresh grass after a big rain, especially when it's dewey in the morning. He puts his nose down and would probably stay there grazing all day if I let him. I've wondered if this is okay for him, but I guess so? He usually doesn't throw it up.

It will be OK so long as your grass is untreated no fertilizers/pest-insecticides..

All three of ours graze on grass, no matter if they have full or empty bellies. No one ever brings it back up.

I've had other breeds of dogs that would eat grass only when they had upset tummies, and they would bring up the grass shortly after.

Exactly the same here.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

First dog?

All breeds of dogs eat grass, and there are many theories why, but I don't think anyone actually knows. Many dogs happen to throw up after eating grass--and for some the grass comes out the other end.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck