Fliowa Matt 3/5/200-8/2/2012

Guest KennelMom

Guest KennelMom

Matt came to us at 9 as a bounce with another greyhound, Bucky. Bucky was a spicy old ham of a dog and Matt was his good-natured side kick. Always easy going, never pushy, Matt was an ever present calm in the pack. When Haley passed last year, he became the reigning senior member...always the last one out in the yard helping me round up the stragglers. He never barked. He was always calm, especially around the baby. He appreciated attention but only ever politely asked for it. A typical greyhound, Matt loved a good sprint after a rabbit or a squirrel, sunning himself in the yard and just generally hanging out with everyone. He was pretty much content with whatever circumstances he found himself in.

I've taken him to the vet several times over the years for weird lameness issues....always expecting the worst (osteo), nothing was ever found and x-rays and general exams/bloodwork were normal. Suddenly on Sunday he started yelping and wouldn't raise his head up. He was clearly in a lot of pain...a trip to the emergency vet showed serious degradation between the vertebrae at two areas along his spine - in his neck and pelvis area. We started treatment with steroids, muscle relaxers and pain killers...hopeful to see some improvement. The emergency vet made no promises. Things only worsened as the week progressed, until the pain was becoming unmanageable. Our regular vet, after reviewing everything, agreed that it was probably time to say goodbye.

Yesterday, Ken was there to help Matt to the Bridge while I stayed home with the baby and the pack. :cry1

Our big ol' handsome boy

4698261716_324aa99ddb.jpg

Lubbin' on daddy

4162520551_c26b1ecb3c.jpg

Racing the young'uns in the snow

4353227735_c76af3f415.jpg

Goodbye good friend...I am honored to know you. :candle

4019359460_d624d3202d.jpg

“One who finds happiness with the Self, who rejoices the Self within, and who is illuminated by the Self-knowledge; such a yogi attains supreme nirvana.” namaste.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry Heather. Saying sorry always seems so inadequate but I know he was loved and spent his best years with you. Your tribute to him conveys this love for him.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Run pain free Matt. Thank you for giving him his real forever home.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Matt certainly was a big loveable and handsome guy. Love that first happy pic! Having lost Cash to spinal issues I am well familiar with how horrible painful and usually hopelss they are. Thank goodness he didn't have to suffer long with it. My deepest sympathy.

:f_red :f_red :f_red:gh_run

Guest KennelMom

Matt certainly was a big loveable and handsome guy. Love that first happy pic! Having lost Cash to spinal issues I am well familiar with how horrible painful and usually hopelss they are. Thank goodness he didn't have to suffer long with it. My deepest sympathy.

:f_red :f_red :f_red:gh_run

Thank you. What's hard to come to grips with is how fast he went from "normal Matt" to needing the emergency vet. Literally in less than 12 hours. For something seems like it should have degenerated slowly over time, he seemed to just "break." :( I've never seen anything like it.

Oh Heather, I'm so sorry. You lost Matt the same way we lost Saint. He woke up in the morning, had his breakfast and 3 hours later he couldn't walk and was in horrible pain. You must be as shocked as we were. A hug to you, I know how hard it is to lose a special pup so suddenly. Run fast and pain free Matt.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am so very sorry for your loss of sweet Matt. While it may be of little consolation, I loss my beloved former racer and blood bank boy Lure under somewhat similar circumstances. Over the course of less than three weeks something went horribly wrong for Lure. Limited treatment didn't help and I didn't feel he was a good candidate for extensive diagnostics or surgery as he was such an anxious, sensitive boy. We couldn't manage the pain and I couldn't allow Lure to suffer. It was so very sad.

How lucky Matt was to have found you. Hugs.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

What a lovely gentleman. He will leave a huge empty space in your home and hearts.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Matt.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Everyone should be so fortunate to having a Matt in their life at some point. What a love bug. I am sorry he had to leave sooner than you would have liked, but I suspect he was a gentleman to the end. Run with the wind, Matt. You will be sorely missed.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I am so sorry. He was so handsome and sounds like a true gentleman. Run with the wind sweet boy.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Heather, I am very sorry. Matt sounds like a perfect Greyhound to me.

Run free Matt, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

What a handsome boy he was. I am so sorry for your loss.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry :cry1 :cry1 thank you for giving him such a wonderful home when he needed one.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Rest well sweet boy.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.