Something To Satisfy Him?

Guest kkaiser104

Guest kkaiser104

Teddi's been on the Iams green bag for about 2 weeks now. I switched him to this from Kirkland Chicken and Rice because his belly absolutely could not handle the Kirkland. But, he never seems satisfied with his food. Tonight I watched him scrounge around for 30 minutes looking for something before bed. He gets 2 cups in the morning (5-6am), 2 cups between 5-6 pm, and another cup after the dog park, around 9pm. I know that sounds like a lot of food, but he isn't gaining weight! He's still a little thin.

Teddi came off the track at 72 pounds and now sits right around 73 pounds, give or take a little. He's 2.5 and we get A LOT of exercise. I still have a lot of Iams left, so I want to let that run out before trying to switch. Is there anything I can give him (extras in the kibble) to make him more satisfied? I know a lot of people will tell me that he's just being a greyhound, and he would eat until he explodes, but that really is not the case. I know him. He isn't full once 11pm rolls around and it's a LONG time until breakfast.

He does get 1-2 milkbones before bed (or I would never get sleep). He was just dewormed last week and I haven't seen worms in his poop. He poops A LOT--3-4 times a day. I think he's just a bit of a naturally slim boy, but he really just seems so hungry! Am I not feeding enough? Should I add some extras? And when the time comes, is there a type of food i should switch to or mix in?

I would add a little more food if he really is still a little thin. Just like people, every dog needs a different calorie intake. I have 2 hounds. Sailor is 65# and eats 4.5 cups a day. Bu is 83# and eats about 7-8 (hes allowed as much as he wants) cups a day and is still pretty thin. I know hounds of all different weights on the same food as them that only get 2-3 cups a day and look great.

Guest team_tonio

What about a marrow bone or something he has to work at for a late night snack? Thatd keep him busy awhile :)

Ps did you know that petsmart and petco will both give a full refund for your half eaten bag of food if you bought it there? Just need a receipt!

Guest goofydog

Get Em has gotten a bit picky about dinner so I have started adding a small container of wet food for that meal. Breakfast gets eaten immediately so I think he may be gaming me on dinner! He is 10 and was 72# when he retired at 2 years of age(failed schooling) and has pretty much kept that weight for the past 8 years.

He also gets mini-carrots, green beans, cottage cheese and yogurt along with the usual treats. I changed his kibble to the grain free Kirkland brand a couple of months ago from the Chicken & Rice and he is doing well on it.

ZHave you tried a frozen Kong in the afternoon or at bedtime? Those tend to keep them busy for quite a bit and provide nutrition.

Guest bethac

You said he was just dewormed, but did you take a stool sample in for testing? There are many types of worms and most cannot be detected unless under a microscope (tapeworms are the exception).

Hook worms are particularly nasty - it can take multiple rounds of deworming to get rid of them. I'm bringing this up because one of our hounds was the same way - always so hungry - never gaining weight. We kept adding more and more food (6 cups at day at one point, she's only a 60 lb broodie!) ... still no weight gain. Turns out it was all due to worms. It took 5 treatments to finally eradicate the worms. Then she gained weight and we reduced her food to the same amount we were giving our other hound (about 3 cups a day).

I would take a stool sample in for testing. Good luck - even if he just needs more food, at least you'll know for certain there isn't something else going on! :thumbs-up

Any extra protein source will help to fill him up...you can add things like canned tuna, canned sardines, stewing beef, cottage cheese, eggs, ground meat, beef heart, liver, etc. I constantly add different things, it keeps things interesting (and healthy!). Teague actually weighs less/the same as his racing weight and he eats like a horse but he also gets a lot of exercise so I think he just stays pretty lean. :)

Guest kkaiser104

You said he was just dewormed, but did you take a stool sample in for testing? There are many types of worms and most cannot be detected unless under a microscope (tapeworms are the exception).

Hook worms are particularly nasty - it can take multiple rounds of deworming to get rid of them. I'm bringing this up because one of our hounds was the same way - always so hungry - never gaining weight. We kept adding more and more food (6 cups at day at one point, she's only a 60 lb broodie!) ... still no weight gain. Turns out it was all due to worms. It took 5 treatments to finally eradicate the worms. Then she gained weight and we reduced her food to the same amount we were giving our other hound (about 3 cups a day).

I would take a stool sample in for testing. Good luck - even if he just needs more food, at least you'll know for certain there isn't something else going on! :thumbs-up

It was checked, and the vet told me it all came back negative. We're going up to OSU in 2 weeks for a wellness exam, I'll take a sample up and have it re-run up there. Is it ever possible to get a false negative?

And I'm sure he'd go crazy for canned tuna and sardines! I'll pick some up tonight and add it into his dinner.

Guest kkaiser104

I have never owned a dog that wouldn't eat as much and as often as I allowed him.

On what are you basing your assessment that he's "too thin"?

Can clearly see all ribs and backbone. He looks exactly like he did when I picked him up from the kennel and they told me then he should pack on a few pounds.