Accupuncture For Arthritis

Magic had a short period Saturday night where he couldn't get up and then was very wobbly. The vet feels that it was probably his arthritis flaring up since it didn't last very long (maybe 5 hours) and it was a damp night. We live in an old stone house and it was a little chilly in the house.

I have been thinking about accupuncture. Magic's vet is not against it but he did say patients have had mixed results. I was wondering how the hounds here have made out with accupuncture.

Thanks.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Guest DeniseL

She wasnt a hound, but my Maya, a lab mix with terrible arthritis went to acupuncture regularly. It helped her. We went once a week for a month or so, then cut back to every other week. Not only did it help her arthritis, but her acupuncturist targeted areas that would help her liver and kidneys, too. It was very relaxing, about 10 minutes in her ears would fall to the sides and she would get this happy, dazed look in her eyes. Total relaxation! And it lasted for a few hours after, I was told it releases endorphins. I think it made her last year so much more comfortable and made her less stressed....I would try it on one of my hounds in a second if I thought they needed it. I have heard that there are some dogs that it doesn't affect, but I'm glad it helped Maya. We went to WAG in philadelphia, Dr. Fuocco, she is wonderful!!

Dante received acupuncture for early LS. It worked for him. He went from shaky back legs to throwing his stuffies around again. He had no issues with it, either. He even came back to work with me after a treatment only for me to discover he still had a needle in! I still have it, as a matter of fact. He was treated in several places along his spine and legs and liver points, or something like that. He enjoyed his visits, but would be really hungry afterwards.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest greytkidsmom

Kebo has had several acupuncture treatments for arthritis. He really seems to enjoy the attention. The day following his most recent treatment I took him for a walk and couldn't keep up with him when I usually feel like I'm dragging him along.

Guest boondog

My vet recommended acupuncture for Dillon's spinal arthritis and LS. I was a skeptic, but it has been nothing short of amazing. She's been going for a few years now and has stayed off of all pain medications. The only supplement she gets is Trixsyn. Some other greyhound people have also gone to my acupuncturist--some have good results and some don't see any difference. It just depends on the specific dog.

Dillon loves going, which is really something for her. We have to carry her in to the regular vet's office! Just make sure you get an accredited acupuncturist.

Good luck!

Worked well for Dancer our first greyhound and James Dean our 'Tzu.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I am now using it for my second hound with arthritis, and it was/is a huge help. I was so impressed by how much it helped my angel Sugar I started going to a people acupuncturist for myownself :) I know it doesn't always help, but I would say it is always worth a try.

My Missy gets acupuncture for Ls and arthritis. She looks forward to the appt..going right to her bed and waiting to get started. typically a day later she is walking better. as her symptoms have increased..she will be 13 shortly, I have increased to weekly. this past week I tried to skip a week and go to bi monthly..but by a 10 days she was really slowing down and tripping..so back to weekly treatments. she also gets adequan injectiions which I think help her a real lot. I do them at home.

Shadow received acupuncture for over a year and it helped his arthritis and LS immensely. He loved it! He was so relaxed throughout the process (and he was just a bundle of nerves at the regular vet).

We recently tried it with Tori who is showing signs of arthritis in her shoulder. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be helpful for her. It's very stressful for her and her symptoms of pain are the same as when we started.

Would I try it again for another dog? Absolutely! Anything we can do to make our babies more comfortable is worth a shot. :)

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)